Houzz Logo Print
kimberly812

ADVICE NEEDED! Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting Dilemma

Kimberly
hace 5 años

We are just finishing up our new kitchen install. Originally, our island was set to be 98" long (that includes 1" granite overhang on each side). However, last evening when we saw the cabinets comprising the island (before they were installed) - felt that it was overwhelming for the space and decided to have the installer not include one of the 30" cabinets, thus reducing our overall island size to 68". We have 8' ceilings.

I had already purchased our kitchen pendant lights (2 of them - shown below) months ago. Dimensions are 12" square and 18" long and I REALLY wanted the look of 2 lights! I would like others' opinions on using the 2 lights rather than just one (which is where my husband is leaning). I did some figuring and if I had them installed 12" in on each side of the island, I could space them 20" apart.

Thoughts on 2 vs. 1 or abandoning these lights (which I absolutely love) - for something altogether different?

Thanks!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

YOU ARE CORRECT. That being said you will only have about 6 inches of chain because the ceiling are low.

Kimberly agradeció a RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    Cabinets by Design LLC
    hace 5 años

We feel that two pendants will still work well in your space; one would look a little odd. If you mount them 33" off the counter it will leave you 9" of chain which might look a little better than 6".

Kimberly agradeció a Cabinets by Design LLC
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    hace 5 años

The pendants feel a bit big given the ceiling height. I think recessed lights would be better

Kimberly agradeció a Design Directives, LLC
  • pgsd
    hace 5 años

I agree on using two pendants and, pretty lights! I think they're a bit big for an 8' ceiling but, if you want it, go for it. Pendants are easily changed later (unlike your island size).

Besides, if you bought them months ago, you probably cant return them anyway so, use them :)

One more thought, were you thinking of centering each 12" from the sides of the island? At 12" square, that only gives you 6" from the pendant sides to the sides of the island. Anyone else think that might be a problem?

Kimberly agradeció a pgsd
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

Yes people often over look the height of the ceiling when sizing pendants and the spacing should try to be in 1/3 for three and for 2 I often take the length divide it 2 and then center it to the sub divided slot

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Taking out the 30" cabinet is a HUGE game changer. Are you absolutely sure that is the right way to proceed? The reason I ask is that you new island is really really small.

Here is your situation laid out on graph paper illustrating the original size of your island and what you plan to reduce it to.

Of course what is missing is how this island relates to the cabinets you currently have in the kitchen. Be careful and don't screw this up.

Here is the typical info regarding hanging lights over islands and counters

Kimberly agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

Chicagoans, She already has the fixtures, the island and the electrical boxes in the ceiling. All she has to do to visualize it is hang the fixtures by a hook or twist tie.

Kimberly agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kimberly
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

BeverlyFLADeziner,

Yes, unfortunately we absolutely had to lose the extra 30" cabinet. We did a complete house renovation and removed all interior walls. This space is a kitchen, dining room and living room and the extra cabinet overwhelmed the space and somewhat protruded into the walking aisle. Removing it REALLY changed the overall feel, and it is now much more to scale for that space. While I hated to lose the extra cabinet - seeing them installed without it made me happier than I can tell you. It now "fits" the feel of the room.

Thank you so much for the graphics showing where were were at and where we are now. I am going to do exactly as you suggested, and somehow hang the actual fixtures to see what I think. (Wires are all covered by ceiling drywall - as it's all new and so cuts will happen after I choose lighting location).

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

The simple solution is to cut out the size on cardboard or paper and attach string, then tape it to ceiling, that will give you a good estimate.

• jeremyandrebecca
    hace 4 años

Hi Kimberly,

Saw you used Fabuwood kitchen cabinets in a separate post. Sorry tried to write you to get your thoughts on it but only able to figure out how to post in a discussion board. We are also considering galaxy frost cabinets from fabuwood. Are you ultimately happy with them? Would you be able to share pictures of the finished product? Thanks!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.