Houzz Logo Print
liana_russo88

Adding character to family room ceiling

Liana
hace 5 años

I'm looking for a way to add some character to the family room ceiling in our newly built home. We are adding built in shelving around the TV, and will eventually add a chandelier (or some type of flush mount) to the room, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas in molding/trim we could add to the ceiling. The height is 9ft. in here, so I don't think we'd be able to add anything too dramatic.

Comentarios (21)

• Liana
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you! All those are in the works, I'm just having a hard time deciding on a rug lol!
  • Sammie J
    hace 5 años

hmmm...I would rather have the view be the room - not the ceiling. To that end, I'd add a large area rug, draperies, and pillows with pattern and texture. You could choose an accent color in your pillows, draperies, rug, and artwork (green, grey-blue, yellow, etc.) to keep the greys from feeling to "cold".

• PRO
    None
    hace 5 años

I would do a shallow coffered. I use a 3/4 base and a 3/4 finish. Trim with a small cove or bed mold.

• calidesign
    hace 5 años

You have a lot of grids already with your many windows. I would add a large colorful rug, colorful pillows, an end table and lamp, and a long console. Then your room will look finished and you won't need to touch the ceiling.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    hace 5 años

A ceiling is an often forgotten part of what adds a ton of character to a room. It's frequently what makes a home look "custom" and "high end". You should first determine a budget because that will dictate how elaborate you can go. One idea that you can easily do that adds quite an element of drama is a back lit molding. In the project below we used LED rope lighting behind the molding to create really nice soft ambient light as one of 5 or 6 lighting options that the homeowner can choose.

Laguna Beach Room Addition and Kitchen relocation · Más información

• K R
    hace 5 años
    Agree with the others, and maybe a cool fan with a light? Do you have it prewired up there?
  • deb s
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

paint the ceiling in a complimentary color (Like the color in matts posting above) - possibly drop the molding down by 4" and paint the upper part of the wall over the molding - it will give the room a higher ceiling look

• Kate E
    hace 5 años
    I don’t know if I’d do anything to the ceiling - but what if you beefed up the trim around the windows? Depending on your style you could do a variety of things and it would add character and dimension but keep focus on windows and view (which are beautiful!)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

Make sure to lower that TV too. I agree the ceiling is fine as is . Are the ceilings in the rest of the house different?The rug will make a big difference and I would do a piece of art above the fireplace instead of the mirror.

• Kate E
    hace 5 años
    Found some window trim inspiration - tried to get some different styles, but there are a lot of similarities.
  • acm
    hace 5 años

no ceiling embellishment. if every inch is decorated, there is no "background" for things to contrast with. the ceiling here will be a restful break from all the built-ins and decor.

• User
    hace 5 años

Paint the crown molding black?

I'm wondering if you could trial it with some black vinyl decal type stuff.....just use an xacto blade to trim it.....it pulls right off if you don't like it (just a thought/suggestion/something I would do)

• chris81996
    hace 5 años

Love the idea with the back lit molding. Really classy and high impact!

• Irene Morresey
    hace 5 años
    I would not worry about the ceiling, especially if you are getting nice Chandelier. I would paint the back wall of your tv built ins, when you do build them, a black or charcoal, that might be enough drama for the space. A thought
  • tatts
    hace 5 años

Why? It's a ceiling, in a room with lots of windows. Why do you think a ceiling needs 'character', and why not the floors and the walls?

• chris81996
    hace 5 años

The floor has beautiful wood flooring and the walls have gorgeous windows. Why shouldn't the ceiling get some love! LOL

• Irene Morresey
    hace 5 años
    Who really looks at the ceiling, unless you are lying on your back lol, a nice chandelier is sufficient
  • User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Very interesting comments above...I look at ceilings EVERY time. :)

• Liana
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you all for such great ideas! I'm really going to sit down with all of this and think about it. Back lit molding is probably out since we just put up this molding, but I do want to do that when we finish our basement!
  • Kate E
    hace 5 años

I totally understand adding character to the ceiling. It's not just about the ceiling, it's the feel that it gives the entire space. I actually love coffered ceilings - in this space I just see those beautiful windows and wonder if that might be a cheaper/easier route to add some character! :) Good luck, OP - it's a beautiful space even if you do nothing!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.