Houzz Logo Print
lizc09

elevation design

lizc09
hace 5 años

we are finazling our elevation and I need some creative help. I'm not living the peak above the front door but want to give the front entry some oomph. what can we do instead of or even in addition to that peak. I'm not tied to the gables or the shingles on the peaks.

FYI the garage entrance is designed as a courtyard entrance so it's not visible from the picture.

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

Could you post the plan too? It's needed so we understand window positioning, depth -- like how far the garage extends out from the house, if there is a full 2nd floor or just a bonus space over the garage etc.

• User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

An off-center portico between big symmetrical gables is going to be a major problem no matter how you design it. The gables already provide the oomph so anything between them should not try to compete; perhaps a covered porch would work.

Why is the eave of one gable shorter than the other?

Use ridge vents instead of gable vents.

Install metal roofing over Grace Ice & Water Shield instead of asphalt felt; the I&WS at the eaves and valleys will cover all or most of the dormer roof anyway. I use it for the entire roof.

Using the same gable bracket and shingles at the little gable on the left seems heavy handed; it shouldn't try to compete with the big gables.

• lizc09
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

here is the floorplan

• lizc09
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

so if we eliminate the gable over the door completely a look similar to this would occur. is this what you are thinking? thanks for all of the tips!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Slow down and check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation; or you will be living your table forever.

Your draftsman never cleaned around a freestanding tub.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Have you considered eliminating the small, insignificant gable at the entry, and replacing it with a shed roof, running from the garage gable, on the right to the laundry/bedroom 2 gable on the left? Support with beefy or double spaced columns.

lizc09 agradeció a Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • A Fox
    hace 5 años

I would turn the nested gable for bedroom 2 into a shed roof sloping back to the main gable so it ties into the bay on the garage. Right now that nested gable and all it's features is pulling your eye way off center to the left side of the house and further distracting attention from the entrance.

I also vote for losing the gable over the entrance and beefing up the porch posts instead to create focus for the front door. Everything doesn't want or need a gable, even though the builder trend these days has been to squeeze as many gables as can fit on the front of the house.

A last little detail, but I think the areas of shingles in the gables would look more natural if the gable window did not puncture through them. Move the trim band up so that the bottom aligns with the top of the window.

• User
    hace 5 años

All good ideas.

• Hemlock
    hace 5 años

^^^^^ It looks like an addition.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Think about something like this for the laundry and bedroom 2's bathroom:

lizc09 agradeció a Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Great Oak Studio Architecture
    hace 5 años

There is a lot happening on that original elevation. Definitely go with the shed roof over the entry between the big gables, and ditch the bay window on the garage facade. A double or even triple window there is ok, but it doesn't need the projected metal roof. Same for the gable coming out the side of the garage - I would try to make that one blend. Spend that money on the interior. Good luck!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Close your eyes...spin your monitor around and around...stick out your index finger and put it on one of PPF's or Mark's illustrations...open your eyes.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

• chispa
    hace 5 años

I hope you have separate HVAC for bedrooms 2 and 4 upstairs. That whole upstairs seems dark and claustrophobic.

It also seems a bit of a waste to spend money on 2 sets of stairs on a house that isn't that large and could have been designed to avoid 2 staircases.

• Hemlock
    hace 5 años

" You can't go wrong with any of them."

Nope. Still looks like the house is two crudely shoved together. You can do better.

• Architectrunnerguy
    hace 5 años

What does your architect, who is presumably still under contract, say?

• User
    hace 5 años

I will be taking an indefinite break from the forum so if you need assistance contact me directly.

• lizc09
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

thanks for everyone's comments. this is what we came up with with our architect. i like it much better than the original

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

Here are 2 things to consider.

Column size. Your plan shows a 4x4 wrapped with 1x material making the column 6" square (shown on the right).

A larger column might look better. The larger one shown is 10-1/2".

The columns should support a beam which supports the roof (dark blue).

I'm surprised your architect did not draw in the beam.

Mentioned above is the difference in soffit height. Wondering if there is a reason for this.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Is the person that designed your house licensed?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.