Houzz Logo Print
hilrab86

How would YOU update this farmhouse exterior?

hilrab86
hace 5 años

I would love opinions on what you would do if this were your home! In my mind, I was thinking of lightening the siding color, removing the texas star accents, and removing or repainting the shutters. I am torn with keeping the shutters or not....and if we keep the railing and update it or remove it leaving only the pillars. The roof is new and will stay until it needs replaced but will then be a metal roof! Thoughts?

Comentarios (28)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

Thats a crap load of shutters, I could see eliminating some, but not all. I would keep the details

white and black is classic farmhouse, but the color here isnt bad. I would remove the railing and open the porch up focus on landscaping

• PRO
    Build Beautiful
    hace 5 años

Hello hilrab86 ,

Nice house... big... lots of potential... and yes - pretty, 'vanilla.' You could also easily do too much to this house.

With that being said - you could focus on the elements that you really like. The windows are large, the shutters are cool & massive and the entry door is so dark, it gets lost.

If it were MY house ( as you asked) there'd be a bright red door, black gloss shutters, bright white window frames & trims, charcoal roof, maybe bring the brick up the column bases or do all field stone, black wrought iron rail & flat white paint everywhere else. Just full classic class would be the theme.

You have a ton of fun ahead of you & a big project! We give 15 minute analysis of any project for free. Hit us up.

-frank

• missybtag
    hace 5 años
    I agree; the door is lost. It looks half the size of the windows! Can you get a wider door, maybe with side lites.
  • tqtqtbw
    hace 5 años

If the Texas flag is correct, the star touches are an interesting touch and I would keep them. I like the black and white idea. If you don't want to change out the door, add wider white trim.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

I think it would look great painted white with black shutters.

Add shutters to the door so it doesn't look so thin.

Windsor | 2016 · Más información

Or maybe all white:

Fort Point Cottage, Harbour Island, The Bahamas · Más información

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    The front door seems to be the same size as the windows but looks small because the windows have shutters. I would paint the siding white and the door and trim red.
    If there is a parking area or a driveway, I would add a walkway of some sort to lead visitors from their cars to the front porch. I would keep the flagpole and plant red, white and blue flowers around the base....Texas flowers. Your flag may be a bit small. You can put some colored flowers below the front porch, too.
  • keith Dcil
    hace 5 años
    keep the siding and shutter colors. Remove all the star braces and the green accents on the porch posts. Add shutters to front door. Replace Palladian window above front door with window and shutters matching others.
  • rbhirano
    hace 5 años
    You spoke of removing the porch railing....if someone fell off the porch,how far would they fall? Do the railings need to be there for safety and local codes?
  • Cheryl Smith
    hace 5 años

It's a nice house but the color is wrong. If it were my house (you asked)....I always think white when I think farmhouse.. green and tan just doesn't work for me. I would enbace the stars and red white and blue. True American farmhouse. White siding and trim. Red but dark more maroon or wine door with dark navy shutters.

• arcy_gw
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I think it's beautiful as is. I am not so sure "modernizing" the look will be an improvement. On the other hand all the trim would be very labor intensive to keep up, so I can see losing the stars and maybe go to a simpler look loosing the ceiling trim too? Front porches turned into decks were a fail, I hope you don't go that direction. I LOVE the metal roofs. What will your color choice be? Perhaps your new paint should go that direction? Your door is BEAUTIFUL to replace it with modern would be a shame. Instead of the suggested shutters maybe you could add side lights?

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 5 años

The color really isn't that bad. I think it's the green shutters that ruin the look. I would remove them or paint them. Or remove them to paint them And see if you like it better without them. please leave the porch detail alone. A farmhouse needs the rails. Paint door burgundy, shutters navy, charcoal or black, White trim and porch. I would also paint the scalloped detail at the peaks white. my favorite farmhouse was painted a soft yellow with white trim if you feel like a major change

• nicole___
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I agree...paint the shutters. Maybe like this...upper ones in black, lower ones in white.

• jandrews2012
    hace 5 años
    I'm kinda going against the majority here but I love your house! I love how it looks, the big deck, the railing, all the windows! I live on a farm and would love a big old farmhouse like yours! It looks warm and inviting, a place the grandkids will remember coming to play at when they were children!
  • PRO
    Great Oak Studio Architecture
    hace 5 años

I like it as is, although I agree with your instinct to lighten up the siding a little. If you do that, I would also paint the shutters a darker green too. Otherwise it's nice.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 5 años

The shutters and railing are very appropriate for this style house, and I would not remove them. Work on a better color choice for siding and trims. The door is beautiful but does need something added like some substantial trim and a brighter color (if your new siding color doesn't make it stand out better). I would remove the porch gingerbread.

You need a little more landscaping around the base of the porch, also!

• PRO
    Excalibur Metal Design
    hace 5 años

We have a thing for metal... So, if you're considering updating the railing, we like the idea of changing it to a metal railing. It will last forever! Here's some pictures of 'farmhouse' railing we've recently done to give you a few ideas.

Exterior Railing · Más información

• artdog7
    hace 5 años
    All white with natural, unpainted wood shutters...some hanging baskets of flowers ...and curvilinear gardens/shrubbery around porch and foundation. And, definitely highlight the front door. Some big, beautiful lantern light fixtures in copper or galvanized metal. Gorgeous home!
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

No shutters on the front door, please. Impression is that the green is a bit harsh and there are so many of the shutters. Maybe once the color is more subdued, it won't seem so overwhelming. I like the black and white idea, very classic. The front door does seem so oddly narrow...

I love your porch details. My forever home will have a large front porch. I am envious.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The Palladian window and arched vent covers are sour notes here, IMO. I would rework those and go white on white. Shutters aren't usually found on the more "modern" farmhouse style, but you can keep them on this home and just fade them to white so they aren't as prominent an element. If you want a touch of green, try Crisp Romain on the porch floor and Haint Blue for the porch ceiling. Enlarge the front door and keep it stained or try black. What's the plan for lighting and landscaping?

• Jan C
    hace 4 años

Love all white with light blue or light grey shutters..That is what I'm doing my Farm House..I just had my roof done and it's a very light grey looks almost silver like...Will post once my home is completed..Good luck with yours.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

The front door looks skinny with all the shutters/window combinations looking nice and wide. Before you rip up the front wall for a new wide door, consider adding wider door trim (top and sides) which could give the appearance of a larger door without the construction cost.
    I would also add some landscaping (zone-specific plants, a tree or two) and a front walkway to lead from where guests park their cars to the front porch.
    Your home looks like a ranch house on several acres, and it is charming. Remove the flagpole if you wish to, or fly a flag with the name of your ranch or an appropriate symbol (steer, horse, tree?) instead of the Texas flag for different occasions.

• skunst2017
    hace 4 años

First , to me your house is beautiful as is . BUT , if it were mine ..I would , after living with it for a while .. make it white with black shutters . paint the front door black , white or red depending on the colors of the shutters .. ...have fun ...but , do live with it for a while ...you probably need shutters to protect the house from storms ...so don't loose them ..they belong on this style house ! Enjoy your beautiful place ! I would look at HOUZZ and the Internet for your style houses and see which colors etc. I like most then incorporate all I see and like .. And landscaping ...!!!!!!

• skunst2017
    hace 4 años

Door could be same color green as your shutters as well.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

This could be a nice crisp clean look for the home.

• Holly Stockley
    hace 4 años

Black and white would be classy, but Beverly's suggestions has some strong appeal, as well. Part of what sells it is the more prominent shutter hardware. So, even if your shutters are not actually functioning, I'd probably put hinges and dogs on them that would make them LOOK like they function. It adds a classic touch to a home that is already lovely. (While I do agree that the arched window and vents detract from the effect a little, it's probably a lot of fussing around to change that and maybe not worth the effort)

A link to some examples of faux shutter hardware:

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/dummy-shutter-hardware

• MT Castillo
    hace 4 años

What you have there is a Victorian farmhouse. I’d paint the exterior white and the shutters black and keep a dark charcoal roof. I would keep the railing (white) and see about widening the front entrance in a way that mirrors the second story windows above it, as another poster suggested. Maybe put some window boxes full of cheerful flowers on those side second story windows. I’d install a classic red brick paver sidewalk and plant red knockout roses all the way across both sides of the porch. I’d also plant a huge wisteria on the corner. Whatever you choose to do, have fun!

• Karenmo
    hace 4 años

I think the problem with the shutters is that they are too wide for the windows.

Truly functional shutters are typically just about half the width of the glass area, and these look to be significantly more than that. I'd replace the shutters, and probably change the color at the same time (lots of good suggestions here on that!). I wouldn't bother with painting the siding -- such a huge expense and it's fine as is. I'd probably change out the Palladian window as recommended earlier. Finally, I'd repaint the dark green trim at the top of the railing so it's the same color as the railing & keep the railing, maybe hang a planter or two on it with some trailing plants.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.