Houzz Logo Print
beslfamily

exterior advice

beslfamily
hace 5 años
We are changing the vinyl siding on our house to Hardie siding in the color Deep Ocean. (There will be a 3 1/2” white trim) We are keeping the brown front and garage doors, as they were just replaced last year. My question is when I replace the lights around the front and garage doors, do I use antiqued bronze fixtures (to tie in the brown doors), or black fixtures (to accent the blue siding)? The fixtures I’ve chosen come in 3 sizes, 15”h, 22”h, and 30”h, I’m putting 22” fixtures around front door. Should I use the 30” fixtures around the garage door, wondering bc we’re also putting stone on each side of garage 4’ up from ground?
Thanks for your help!

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 5 años

No view of garage door.

All those fan lights? Repaint them the color of the siding. I wouldn’t spend the money replacing the siding. Instead I would put the money toward landscaping.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

I think either will go with the blue. I am leaning more towards black.

Deep Ocean with white is going to look stunning. I hope you eliminate the faux Palladian trim. Since you have a wide expanse between the top of the garage door and the window, you might want to add an arbor in white.

Garage Arbors · Más información

• beslfamily
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes, we are removing the faux palladium trim (fan lights). Above the garage, we are putting a piece of white trim to divide it up, shake siding above the trim, clapboard siding below the trim, as well as, a crown molding along the top of garage and 2 upstairs windows. We are also using shakes on peak on the left and the upstairs bump- out.
    Our front door has black accents, so I think we’ll go with the black light fixtures.
  • houssaon
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

It is going to be beautiful! Post a photo of the after, please. We would love to see it.

beslfamily agradeció a houssaon
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

I just did a huge search for light fixtures for an HOA, so here is all the info I assembled.

Found these great fixtures from Feiss Lighting. Comes in different sizes, with a 5 year warranty because the finish is so very great. The finish is BLACK

YOUR FIXTURE SHOULD BE AT LEAST 15" TALL OR LARGER.

beslfamily agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

This fixture is from Progress and has a bronze finish. I would not select a fixture with candelabra bulbs. Not enough lumens and they burn out too fast. With a translucent glass lens, you can install an LED bulb and not have to change it maybe forever.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

These fixtures from Home Depot & Lowes are quite nice and not very expensive.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

BeverlyFLADeziner I really like those!

• beslfamily
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    As for the stone on the sides of the garage, we’re also putting it around the far left bay window, and changing the columns on the front porch to single, chunkier columns with stone bases.
    Here’s my column inspiration...
  • Brown Dog
    hace 5 años

Your choices so far are brilliant and your house will look stunning! Go with the black fixtures and get the larger versions. You see so often people make the mistake of installing under scale outdoor lighting. Good luck!

beslfamily agradeció a Brown Dog
  • PRO
    ARC Residential
    hace 5 años
    The lights on the garage can be larger to help balance the amount of space between the edge and the garage door. I also believe exterior lights need to be higher than what the previous posted notes of 66”. At least 72” and on garages higher still. You don’t want to look into the light as you are standing at door. Needs to be slightly above eye level.

Colors look good. Go with black lights. If all you are doing is adding stone at garage, leave it off, it will look like an add on. Use that money for more established landscaping. The house will have great street appeal.
    beslfamily agradeció a ARC Residential
  • PRO
    ARC Residential
    hace 5 años

If I read this correctly, do not put stone on bay. Two reasons. Stone bays don’t pop and with no foundation underneath they will look, and are, fake. Flanking the bay is okay. Just not the bay. Agree with larger columns. Stone plays well there. Still would like to see stone die into an inside corner (looks more natural) if possible.

• beslfamily
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    ARC Residential, with the stone on the left side, should we do the sides flanking the bay or should we do stone from under the window all the way down (flanking wall, under bay, and flanking wall)?
  • PRO
    ARC Residential
    hace 5 años

Professionally I would do it just under the window. Again stone is not meant to float, so if you want it under/on the bay you need to hide the fact that the bay cantilevers out by using vegetation to give the illusion that there is a base to the bay.

• beslfamily
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions and advice! I really appreciate it and have made some great decisions using your advice. I will definitely post pictures when our project is complete, but it will be awhile. The project is starting out with replacement of the roof (which is what started this crazy journey, in the first place), then replacing all of the windows (which never worked ever since we moved into this house 12 years ago), then, finally, the new Hardie siding and stone will go up! We are so excited to get started and can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks again, for your time and help!

• beslfamily
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

We finally finished the house, landscaping will be next year!

• dogsandcats7
    hace 4 años

Beautiful! So much better!!!

• kootenaycapable
    hace 4 años

Very nice!

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

It looks like a new house. Very attractive!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.