Houzz Logo Print
webuser_675506821

Kitchen with no kickboards on vinyl floor?

We are having a new kitchen which has solid frames and no kickboards. The kitchen company request that the floor is fitted wall to wall with the units on top. I know usually kitchens should be fitted before the floor. Anyone any experience of doing it this way round and if it caused any issues?

Comentarios (12)

• G Arnold
    hace 5 años
    In my opinion it's much better to fit the floor wall to wall and sit the kitchen on top. Done this twice, once tiles, once engineered oak and it was fine both times.
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años

Another one for floor first.

• Tani H-S
    hace 5 años
    My guy advised to do it afterwards - but we have kickboards so it’s not an issue.
    I think also to save money on the flooring as with a 4m back run and large island, that’s a lot of floor you don’t see that you are paying for
  • PRO
    Thomas Davies Kitchens
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

In our experience, it is better for the floors to be fitted first. We always ask for this for several reasons: Firstly, it would not give the best finish to cut the floor to fit around the parts of the cabientry that run to the floor, including the end panels and 'legs' of the cabientry in the above photo. Secondly, for long term maintenance - it can be problem to slide in/out appliances such as dishwashers and fridge freezers if they are not on a continuous floor, and some appliance brands insist that they sit on a solid floor for warranty purposes. Thirdly, it will future proof the kitchen if you ever want to change the layout of it. There are other reasons too, but all in all I would go with their advice and make sure it is properly protected. The only time it could be a problem is where the floor (e.g. timber) moves significantly after the cabientry has been fitted, but this should not be the case if the floor is well fitted. If your floor is tiled or is e.g. vinyl, there should be no movement.

• Ribena Drinker
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

We had our floor (LVT) put down before the kitchen was fitted.......

• PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING
    hace 5 años

Joining those saying wall to wall. Have done many projects this way only, and will do it again.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

Why would you not do it this way apart from to save money? If there is a leak, then you are more likely to notice it if the flooring is wall to wall too.

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    hace 5 años

always floor first. It's easier to fit the kitchen and easier to fit the floor. The finished job will look way better

• PRO
    Hobsons Choice
    hace 5 años

It is best to fit floor wall to wall for the reasons already stated by others. The end result is a much better finish.

• User
    hace 5 años

Generally better to fit flooring last. Reduces likelihoods of damage to your floor and reduces flooring waste (paying for material you will not being seeing/using) but in your circumstances, with no kick boards, don't think you have much choice other than floor first but we endorse Jonathan's early comment… ensure the flooring is well protected during kitchen installation.

• kwg kwg
    hace 5 años
    Hello, our kitchen company also requested for the floors to be fitted wall to wall and I prefer it that way too as I’m sure it gives a better finish. In my previous flat, the fitter only tiled just under the plinths and I thought it was really odd.

Agree with the others though, make sure you have good protection on the floors, the kitchen company advised us to cover the whole floor with sheets of corex ( White plastic corrugated sheets ). I think they are a few pounds for each sheet. Once they unbox the kitchen cupboards the fitters can also put the cardboard on the floor for added protection.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.