Houzz Logo Print
eastbaycraftsman1915

Bathroom Tile Job done right, or not?

M T
hace 5 años

My wife and I are renovating a 1915 Craftsman home, and when we bought it the bathroom (a Jack-and-Jill) was in a pretty sorry state. It's been on our list of projects, and recently we were able to find a contractor who came highly recommended to tackle the project. We have thus far been happy with the work they've done, and everything has seemed to be of good quality, until now... They just completed a day of installing the 3x6 subway tile in our alcove bath niche, and unless I'm wildly mistaken, this looks like pretty strange tile work. The tiles do not line up at the corners and there are small (1/2") slivers of tile at the left side. Is this an acceptable pre-grout installation of subway tile? If not, what should have been done to avoid this?

Comentarios (13)

• Jmint
    hace 5 años
    That looks sloppy. The horizontal lines should be level all the way across. They also should’ve spaced the tiles out to avoid having those tiny pieces.
    M T agradeció a Jmint
  • lindahambleton
    hace 5 años

Don’t let them grout .

M T agradeció a lindahambleton
  • jmm1837
    hace 5 años

And, the inevitable follow up question, what kind of waterproofing went on under the tile?

M T agradeció a jmm1837
  • M T
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I do know they used Schluter-Kerdi waterproofing above the alcove tub, which looked pretty solid to my novice eye. Everything seemed to be looking great until the tiling, which is why I'm so confused...

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    hace 5 años

taco shy of a combo plate, a first year apprentice can usually beat that..

M T agradeció a Mint tile Minneapolis
  • Brittney E
    hace 5 años
    Bad tile job.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

Not all ciontractors are tile setters for sure usually a good tile setter makes those slivers where your eye doesnot go first which is usuallt the corners and for sure the tiles need to line up . That needs a redo now.BTW when the tiles are removed chances are the waterproofing will be affected .

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    hace 5 años

It doesn't meet industry standards. Lay-out is planned in advance to avoid the slivers (which ARE avoidable) and of course the tiles should all line up. Doesn't look like it was done by a professional tile installer. I agree with TFW, my apprentices could do a better job.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 5 años

He should of accounted for the "slivers" so they are not part of the installation.

What bothers me the most is the fact that the tile on the left wall does not line up with the tile on the right wall. He will have to start over again bc this is not acceptable.

• judy1740
    hace 5 años
    I wouldn’t accept that. Shouldn’t be slivers and should line up.
  • tatts
    hace 5 años

And, with all the mortar squishing out in some of those joints, there's no room for a solid grout seam. He should have raked that out while it was fresh. The grout will flake in those joints where the mortar comes so close to the surface.

• PRO
    Walton Properties
    hace 4 años

Hey, how did it end up turning out? I have a smilar issue.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.