Houzz Logo Print
swidz

Kitchen remodel before and after - silver grey/gray leathered granite.

swidz
hace 5 años

Silver grey/gray leathered granite, Florida magnolia floor tile, white cabinets, Benjamin Moore vanilla cookie wall color. I am posting this because I had such a difficult time finding photos of silver grey granite countertops installed when I was beginning my search for kitchen countertops. Hope this can help someone with their search.

Before

After

Before

After

Comentarios (55)

• swidz
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Agreed..the pic probably looks yellow from the tint of the walls and the lack of natural light (it was pretty cloudy that day) :)

• kariyava
    hace 5 años

I love your counters! Thanks for sharing.

swidz agradeció a kariyava
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

thanks for sharing, love the outcome here :)

swidz agradeció a Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Kendrah
    hace 5 años

This is a favorite before and after. Practical, not over the top, and just makes your home welcoming, functional, and bright. Smart choices. Love it.

swidz agradeció a Kendrah
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you Kendrah. That was very kind.

• PRO
    Build Beautiful
    hace 5 años

Someone put some hard work in! The before & after counter sealer photo was great, quite the difference. Great job overall.

swidz agradeció a Build Beautiful
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I think my favorite part is just not bumping in to the peninsula every time I walk into the kitchen..and not blocking the doorway to the dr every time I open the refrigerator! :) Also granite that looks like soapstone.

• Shannon_WI
    hace 5 años

Looks beautiful! I love all the drawers.

swidz agradeció a Shannon_WI
  • M Miller
    hace 5 años

What a lovely kitchen! The counters look great, especially against your cabinets. Each one enhances the other.

swidz agradeció a M Miller
  • susan49417
    hace 5 años

LOVE those counter!

swidz agradeció a susan49417
  • missenigma
    hace 4 años

@sswiddows Thanks so much for this thread and the pictures. I'm considering Silver Grey Granite. In fact it's one of my top choices. Locally, I've only been able to find it honed. I'd love to see leathered in person before making a final decision.

I'm curious if you tested the Silver Grey for etching? I haven't been able to get a hold of a small piece to test. Neither the local granite yards or fabricators know much about this stone.

swidz agradeció a missenigma
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

@missenigma I have marble in my bathrooms that etched like crazy. This granite has not etched at all. It has a great texture to it and seems incredibly durable.

• cyc2001
    hace 4 años

Your kitchen came out so lovely! What a beautiful, inviting space. Great job!

swidz agradeció a cyc2001
  • missenigma
    hace 4 años

@sswiddows - That's great to hear. I've had laminate counters my whole life and never worried about such things. For all the contempt heaped upon it, laminate really is a worry free countertop.

Anyway, I forgot to ask, but assume from your response, that staining hasn't been an issue either. I'm an avid baker and often oil the counter when working with various doughs. The butter used when making rough puff pastry also leaves my existing laminate counters greasy when finished. Of course I'll be sealing the granite.

Thanks again for the info. I love how inviting your kitchen came out. I think @Kendrah put it best in her above comment:

"Practical, not over the top, and just makes your home welcoming, functional, and bright. Smart choices. Love it. "

swidz agradeció a missenigma
  • PRO
    Icon Building Group
    hace 4 años

sswiddows, The kitchen looks absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing it truly is a sharp unique look.

swidz agradeció a Icon Building Group
  • melyssam10
    hace 4 años

Have you had any issues with the counters yet? We are leaning towards silver grey granite, but can only find honed, not leathered. We initially wanted soapstone, but after getting sample pieces, realized that we would not be able to deal with the scratches. Just lightly dragging a coffee cup across the samples yielded tons of scratches, and while they do look lighter after oiling, you can still see them. I can't imagine what they would look like after a month in my house.

swidz agradeció a melyssam10
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Melyssam10. No I have not had any problems with them. They still look new and we do not baby them. I wash it with dish soap and water and clean with granite cleaner occasionally. Once we got a ring from the oils in a soap bottle but I used a clay based cleaner on it and it came out. I feel the texture in the leathered version lends itself to hiding any issues if we ever had any. Good luck on your selection.

• swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Melyssam10. I forgot to add..we would definitely buy them again..no regrets

• swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

@Missenigma Staining has not been an issue..we have had an oil ring and splatters on the granite but I used a clay based cleaner (earthbrite I think was the name of it) and it came right out. I think the fact that it is leathered helps. I read somewhere (whether or not it is true I do not know) that the leathering process makes granite less porous.

• SarahBen CS
    hace 4 años

@sswiddows Can you tell me more about the color enhancing sealer? I have been hunting for via lactea slabs that I love but it has been challenging. I'm considering some other options to give a soapstone look but with leathered granite. Your countertops are beautiful!

Is the color enhancing sealer a one-time application or do you need to do it often? If so, how often (yearly)?

Thanks for any info!

swidz agradeció a SarahBen CS
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Sarahben The fabricator put the sealer on and I did not catch what the brand was. They just wiped it on and it took about 5 minutes. I let it dry for a day and they indicated that it should be done yearly.

• SarahBen CS
    hace 4 años

@sswiddows Thanks!

• Ellen Tracy
    hace 4 años
    That little shelf you have in the middle would drive me crazy.
    swidz agradeció a Ellen Tracy
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Ellen Tracy it is true I have a love/hate relationship with that little shelf but it has proven more useful to me than an irritant. Tried to set it in a spot that it did not block the stove to sink to refrigerator pathway. :)

• PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    hace 4 años

Beautiful refresh!!

The dark countertops on the white cabinetry really pops! Great contrast!

Well done!

swidz agradeció a Nanke Signature Group
  • PRO
    Vanguard Development LA
    hace 4 años

Well done!

swidz agradeció a Vanguard Development LA
  • NewEnglandgal
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the updates. Cannot wait till mine go in! Best option for those who love soapstone.

swidz agradeció a NewEnglandgal
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

newenglandgal I hope you will post a pic here when you are done. I would love to see it!

• NewEnglandgal
    hace 4 años

Thanks. They are doing the electrical, plumbing and HVAC right now. Lining up insulation and Blueboard now. Hoping by July the cabinets will be in and counters ready for fabrication. Every time I look at your pictures I get so excited for my kitchen to be done.

• Elizabeth Thompson
    hace 4 años

Gorgeous! Can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting about your Steel Grey/ Silver grey granite!!! I've been looking for pictures of it installed- so hard to track it down! Hope you enjoy your new space for years to come!

swidz agradeció a Elizabeth Thompson
  • lysajones
    hace 3 años

We used the same granite for our dry bar. Now we r planning to use it in our adjacent kitchen.

swidz agradeció a lysajones
  • B. Spiro
    hace 3 años

Thank you for sharing! Just selected two beautiful slabs for our kitchen and can’t wait to see how it will look installed.

i was team quartz/porcelain but then saw this beauty and I was sold- has so much more depth than the above two. your kitchen is beautiful and warm, well done!

swidz agradeció a B. Spiro
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 3 años

lysajone - this is two months late but I really like your bar!!!

swidz agradeció a Norwood Architects
  • Lisa Pinto
    hace 3 años

So I just had this installed and indeed is gorgeous!!! However, they r staining easily. Water rings and oil spots. So I wash them out but it takes a day or so dry. Then minimal, if any, evidence of the ring. But I have to look at the ring for a few hrs at least. And worry that it wont ever come out. Yes, they have been sealed by installer. Does this happen to yours?? Maybe I have to invest in your clay based cleaner?

• Lisa Pinto
    hace 3 años

• lysajones
    hace 3 años

I do have some issues with the marble backsplash behind the stove

• swidz
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Lisa Pinto I have not had any problems and I do not wipe everything up immediately. Maybe they used more sealer on mine? Not sure why you are having that issue but here is a pic of the cleaner I used. It is great for a lot of surfaces and especially fabulous on stainless steel.

• Lisa Pinto
    hace 3 años

Ok thank you! I will try it . It’s such a beautiful stone I’m incredibly bummed to have this problem .

• NewEnglandgal
    hace 3 años

sswiddows I am getting the same staining as Lisa on my silver grey granite! Mine is not leathered so wondering if that makes the difference. I have to wipe everything up immediately or you see a darker stain. It can take longer than weeks if it is oil.
    I am going to put spray sealer on it to see if it helps. I love the look but hate how easily it stains. If you have any suggestions on a good sealer let me know!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    hace 3 años

It looks amazing! Great job!

• swidz
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Lisa Pinto and NewEnglandgal. It may be that it is a leathered texture that I am not getting as many spots because they may not absorb as much?

• Lisa Pinto
    hace 3 años

Hi again! My silver gray is leathered . Water ring looks better today💁‍♀️

• NewEnglandgal
    hace 3 años

Hmm Lisa...I am guessing SSwiddows has very good sealer. My slabs are honed, not leathered. I chose these because I really like soapstone but did not want the maintenance. I may as well have bought that with the maintenance I have with the silver grey. I put a crockpot on it with a towel underneath. It took over a week for the dark spot to go away. Again, I will be spraying on a sealer and hope that will make a difference. Will have to look in the search for "good sealer" and hope to find some suggestions.

• PRO
    Altair
    hace 3 años

Absolutely love the floor selection!

• Kath
    hace 3 años

I really like the silver gray granite counters, my counters are off white. Do you think this would clash?

swidz agradeció a Kath
  • swidz
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Kath They have a definite white vein in them but I believe it would be a matter of preference.

• NewEnglandgal
    hace 3 años

Depending on how off white your counters are. My perimeter cabinets are like a light light cream color and the counter looks fine with it because the veining does not look bright white in mine. Like SSwiddows says, it would depend on the how much vein is in the stone and the brightness.

• rvog
    hace 3 años

So happy to find these photos. We have just decided to replace our granite countertop and glass tile backsplash. Our home is only 4 yrs old, but it was a spec home and we could make only minor changes. Needless to say we made bad choices on what we could change. LOL. So we are looking at quartz, but a charcoal shade with marble or similar - our shaker cabinets are cream, our floor is gray woodgrain tile.These photos helpful!

swidz agradeció a rvog
  • PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    hace 3 años

Beautiful. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stone tops!

swidz agradeció a K Interior Design Group
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.