Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Should I do same flooring in both spaces?

This is the main floor hallway in our cabin. On the right with the vinyl floor is the guest powder room with laundry in the back half. To the left is the berber carpet in the master bedroom(the master bath has the same vinyl as the powder). I am planning on changing the flooring in both but don’t want hardwood like the rest of the main floor. We have 6 dogs and the water bowl is in the laundry area and even though the bowl is on a rug we get lots of drips, plus I don’t want the w/d on hardwood. In the master I think Hardwood would be overwhelming and I need a change. I was thinking marmoleum in the laundry and maybe cork in the master. But my friend said she thought I should do the same flooring in both spaces. I told her I would ask the gurus on GW lol.

If I do a marmoleum and cork that are similar tones would that work?

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Luminosus Designs LLC
    hace 5 años

Hi Annette, I can't say I am fond of the Marmoleum options here. If you want to get a hard working flooring, considering LVT that is water-proof? I feel that you would get more pattern and color options that would work well with the hard wood floor you already have.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 5 años

It looks like that product has 1.5 stars :-( Careful!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I’m doing juniper green cabinets in the laundry so want a neutral floor with no seams if possible. The vinyl currently in the space is peeling up at the seams so want to avoid that.

The low review on that cork is because they were shipped a different color. I would be ordering from a cork place, not Wayfair. That was just a good pic I could find.

• lupins4
    hace 5 años

I would use the same flooring in both rooms.

• Sammie J
    hace 5 años

The same flooring would be preferable - but, it's a cabin, so I'd do what works for you, your family, and your guests. If you choose different floorings, try to keep them in the same color family.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

SJ McCarthy, I’m seeing you can prefinished or finish on site, is there a better option?

I was thinking of checkerboard cork in powder/laundry and cork herringbone in the darker of the color from the powder? Pattern in the master?

• Fori
    hace 5 años

To sort of rephrase Luminosus, you DO know Marmoleum comes in GOOD colors too, right?? :)

How do you feel about sheet Marmoleum in your bedroom? I'd consider doing it in both spaces. It's not high maintenance at all and it feels very nice underfoot. I only say this having had it in a kitchen for several years. (I moved. I didn't replace it.) It wasn't waxed or sealed or anything. I also used a sheet for a countertop for a year while I picked out some marble. It is easy stuff.

Click Marmoleum is different from sheets and probably does require sealing to keep water out of the cracks. I'd avoid it because that's work.

For a bathroom with an actual bathing area (master bath), I'd just do tile like everybody else. Laundry room and powder, I'd go with linoleum.

But seriously, I don't think it looks bad "mismatched" as it is and I don't think it would look bad if you put two totally different floors in those two spots.

• SJ McCarthy
    hace 5 años

@Annette - The prefinished cork glue down tiles STILL have to be site finished. You will require two coats of finish over top.

The raw cork tiles are rare and fantastically expensive (think $10 - $15/sf). They allow for staining of your choice (again, fantastically expensive...because the CORK FLOORING EXPERT will need to be imported from a long way away...I know of ONE person in Western Canada who can do the job...ONE). Either floor can receive the special treatment of checker board or herring bone. Again, think VERY expensive. The LABOUR costs alone to lay a checker board or herring bone glue down tile will cost another $8-$10/sf. And no I am not kidding.

A factory finished glue down cork tile + two coats of polyurethane should cost $15 - $25/sf including product and labour. It MAY NOT include preparation costs. Whew! You really need to WANT to pay an extra $10/sf for the specialty cork with specialty colour with specialty install.

A raw cork glue down tile with stain and 3 coats of polyurethane + labour should cost $20 - $25/sf. The cork+stain+finish (materials) should cost $10/sf. The glue will be extra (add another $1/sf). Then you have to find the HIGH END CORK PROFESSIONAL to do the work. I've heard of people flying in their installers because their state/province do not have their own. Even places like NYC or LA have issues finding the right person to lay a specialty cork floor.

So which one is better? The one you can afford. A specialty cork floor installed by a high end cork flooring professional is worth a lifetime of joy (with the occasional maintenance event). That's why they are considered luxury floors. The more affordable factory finished floor is much easier to install and much easier to get a couple of coats of finish down. How easy? Homeowners who are DIY savvy have done terrific jobs.

If you want a pattern that gives the appearance of a specialty install, have a look at a "block" pattern such as can be seen with iCork Floor's Leather pattern. It is worth a look.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.