Houzz Logo Print
islandgirlsgardening

Stunning!

I love that you don't skimp on the trees, esp conifers! For the first time in my design career, I have my first "fresh build" small courtyard garden on my hands - starting with rubble! Trees baffle me - even dwarf varieties reach significant mature height... May I ask what your thinking is around this? Will some trees be removed one day and replaced? Pruning? Thank you; inspirational work!
Woodland garden 1 · Más información

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    Jay Sifford Garden Design
    hace 5 años

Thanks. Good luck on your project! I don't plan on removing any trees. Some are chosen with eventual pruning in mind while some are chosen with ultimate height/width in mind. For a smaller courtyard, I'd say that first I decide where I want people to look. If I want to keep the eye low to avoid a possible eyesore over the top of a wall for example, I'd use lower foliage with lots of texture and perhaps some color. If I want people to look up, I'd use taller columnar trees that keep a tight form. Something like 'Tokyo Tower' fringe tree might be a compromise between the two. If you don't need extra shade, you might look at a standard (tree form) shrub like 'Diabolo' ninebark or a hydrangea paniculata, or a small weeping tree like 'Whitewater' or 'Ruby Falls' redbud. A smaller Japanese maple like 'Hana Matoi' might be useful too, and could be pruned if necessary, or to relate with regard to form to some other garden element.

I love designing courtyards more than anything else because everything counts. Plants need to bring multiple features to the plate. I'd never use peonies or irises for example. I'd use plants with lots of texture and seasonal foliage or floral highlights, and good winter form. Sublime details with regard to hardscape are important as well because everything is seen up close.

Hope this helps. Again, good luck.

• PRO
    Island Girls Gardening & Design
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you so much for taking the time to advise me, it is truly appreciated. I live on Bowen Island (a 20 minute ferry ride from Vancouver, B.C. Canada) where deer are plentiful. It will be such a treat to implement perennials that are usually a deer delicacy - especially nine bark, which I see you also love! Our island is referred to as "the rock", so while gardening can be challenging in that respect, on the flip, there's plenty of fabulous stone to work with. Thanks again, and I can't wait to see your future work. :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.