Houzz Logo Print
webuser_639951367

home for 2 ladies in their 70s

Maureen Connolly
hace 5 años

My sister and I are thinking of living together instead of having separate homes now that we are in are 70s. I am looking for design ideas that would give us a common space (maybe kitchen, lounge, dining room) and separate spaces (our own room and bathroom facilities and maybe a small nook for a desk or hobby). We would not want a big home but would like to achieve a feeling of a little independence of choice in our own area. We are also thinking that maybe the garage area could contain the laundry/storage area for bulky objects such as suitcases. We would welcome design suggestions

Comentarios (7)

• oklouise
    hace 5 años

first describe the climate where you want to live and do you already have a block of land?

• Maureen Connolly
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

thank you for coming back to me. We live in Victoria, Australia warm to hot summers and rain and cool winters. I have only just started the journey on this proposed change of lifestyle and haven't as yet looked at land though it would most likely be in a small village/town setting

• me me
    hace 5 años
    Perhaps you could get a duplex. Complete separate residences but could spend as much time togather as you want.
  • siriuskey
    hace 5 años

It would so much easier to find a house that could be easily adjusted to accommodate your needs, building a new home is very involved and takes a lot of time

• Maureen Connolly
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

thank you for your input

• PRO
    MRA Ltd
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

How exciting, and a great plan for living independently while releasing some equity to enjoy life and achieve companionship. Co-Living is an idea that is likely to be a solution for many family types as housing costs increase and available land decreases.

I think you are on the right track looking to build what suits you - otherwise someone will be in the second-best spaces in a home not built for sharing. (You'll also be future proofing your build for changing circumstances too). The key will be to include some flexible spaces (particularly with a second living/guest room space plus laundry/storage as you suggest) that will give you the function you need, while providing separate bed/living suites ensuring each of you has your own spaces to decorate and relax in. Spaces don't have to be Big. Start by making a list of what you each need/want, and the things that you are happy to share.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.