Houzz Logo Print
alexa_rouillard

Need Guidance with Couch Color

a13xxa
hace 5 años

I'm having difficulty deciding on what color couch will look best in this space and will be easy to accent off of. We went furniture shopping last night, and finally found a couch that works really well for us. However, it only comes in two colors (special ordering colors will take 4-6 months and we don't have time for that as we are moving in within a week). Below are the two options. I always pictured us having a light gray or navy blue couch, so this threw me for a loop. I planned on accenting the room with navy blue and orange in the form of pillows, throws, and an area rug to bring in some color. My options for a couch color are a dark brown or a beige/khaki color. I don't know if I will be able to use the accent colors that I wanted to with these options. Also, I'm not sure if the brown will be too dark for the space (and it will show pet hair), and I'm also not sure how I would really incorporate the beige/khaki because nothing else in the house is really this color. I'm just looking for some advice/opinions of houzz users.

Here is the beige color, in the store it appeared to have slightly more yellow tones to it.

Here is the brown, which seemed darker in person.

Here is the space it is going into, against the stairway wall and then coming out into the open living room. Note that the stairs are now stained to match the floor. (Also dark brown). We do plan on having an area rug.

Here is the fireplace and tv that the couch will be facing.

Thanks for your help.

Comentarios (37)

• auntthelma
    hace 5 años

Brown and blue can be a very handsome combination. I like the lighter color with navy.

a13xxa agradeció a auntthelma
  • Susie .
    hace 5 años
    Blue and yellow look great together. My concern is that it will fit in the room. Have you sketched out the room to make sure you have room for that large a piece (and tables and lamps)?
    a13xxa agradeció a Susie .
  • a13xxa
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Susie, we actually taped the footprint on the floor with painters tape and it fits perfectly. :)

• Hemlock
    hace 5 años

I like the darker couch. Might hide light dirt a little better too.

a13xxa agradeció a Hemlock
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Either color will work fine in the space. But each is asking for a different design approach for the rest of the interior design. Orange and/or yellow accesssories will work fine, as will a rug with some of one of these colors. Other approaches can work as well.

Have you considered that your seating capacity is greater with a sofa and two lounge/club chairs?

• PRO
    Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
    hace 5 años

The lighter couch will keep the room light and airy. It also gives you the opportunity to style it with darker colors if you like the richness of the darker couch. Add a warm throw with dark pillows. It goes nicely with the fireplace and a nice contrast to the darker elements in the kitchen area. Your eye won;t be dawn to just a dark huge couch, but with the lighter tone you will see the "whole" room:)

• a13xxa
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Virgil - I'm not quite sure how a sofa with two chair has more seating capacity. To me a sofa can seat 3 and then 2 more for the chairs, 5 total. This sectional can easily seat 5 as well.

Brenda - thank you for your input. My fear was the dark couch would be the main focal point. If I do choose the lighter couch, I will definitely add dark pillows.

I have such a difficult time picturing colors working together (as you guys can probably tell).

• a13xxa
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Tartanmeup - Trust me when I say we have looked and looked and looked. The furniture stores that I haven't been to locally in person, I've looked online at and nothing caught my eye. Are wants are kind of specific, with wanting a sectional with a chaise and a recliner directly next to each other. We do plan on taking one more shopping trip this Saturday before we go back to this store and settle on this couch. Maybe we will get lucky.

• auntthelma
    hace 5 años

When you do buy the sofa, ask the sales person to show you pillow fabric choices that blend the sofa color with navy. That will help you envision the color combo. It will also help you buy a rug or throw or lamps in the right colors to accent the room. Pillows are portable, so you can carry them to the rug store and lamp store.

a13xxa agradeció a auntthelma
  • tartanmeup
    hace 5 años

Crossing my fingers for you you'll find your navy or grey. I know I compromised on my sofa colour when we bought ours and always regretted it. (Not saying you can't make these two colour options work for you. Just saying it's annoying to be thrown for a design loop when you have a picture in your mind.)

a13xxa agradeció a tartanmeup
  • K Laurence
    hace 5 años

I’ve been waiting two months for the sofas I’ve ordered. Yes, it’s inconvenient but worth it in the long run to get exactly what you want.

a13xxa agradeció a K Laurence
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

"...Virgil - I'm not quite sure how a sofa with two chair has more seating capacity. To me a sofa can seat 3 and then 2 more for the chairs, 5 total. This sectional can easily seat 5 as well..."

Sorry. You're making a common mistake. Only one person can sit in the corner at a time, since otherwise they play with one another's knees. Thus one of corner seats is not usable.

And if the ottoman is attached, which one of your visitors is going to sit there with their feet in the air?

• tartanmeup
    hace 5 años

Virgil is right about the sectional seating. I'm looking at the picture and can't imagine the corner "seat" would tempt anyone (maybe a child? but they grow... :P).

• a13xxa
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

auntthelma - Will do, thank you!

Tartanmeup - Thanks!

K Laurence - You're a better person than me :P

Virgil - Our current house has a slighty smaller 5 piece sectional and we fit 5 of us just fine on it every night. The corner seat is actually the favorite of the house. Also, the ottoman is attached, and is probably the most comfiest part of this couch. Again, with our current sectional there is a recliner on each end, and they are always up, they never go down. There is never a time where our feet are not up. So this sectional works well for what our family needs. :)

• Helen
    hace 5 años

I'm also not seeing five people sitting in that sofa - assuming three on the larger piece there would appear to be issues with legs meeting of the people sitting at the each end.

Also in my experience most people tend to gravitate towards the ends of sofas to sit and that's why the sofa with two chairs is a more functional configuration.

I think of sectionals as seating where people are sprawling rather than sitting.

a13xxa agradeció a Helen
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

"...So this sectional works well for what our family needs. :)..."

Very glad to hear that it works fine for your family. For visitors, however, not so much...

Chaise lounges are very trendy, but they just don't work for entertaining and guests, since no one wants to play kneezy in the corners, and few want to sit and have a discussion with other guests while their feet are in the air. A much more usable choice is a 3-seat sofa and at least two lounge chairs as I mentioned, or, space permitting, two sofas and two lounge chairs.

Of course, furnishings are very personal, but there's no comparison in the seating capacity.

a13xxa agradeció a Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • One Devoted Dame
    hace 5 años

The corner seat is actually the favorite of the house.

We *briefly* had a sectional once (I'd never willingly get another one), back when we were a family of 5, and it was kinda nice because the kids were small (all under 5 years old), and all 3 of them could fit in the corner with me. No fighting over it! :-) So I get the appeal.

We have standard 3-seaters now, and they still pile on top of each other, lol. It is not uncommon to see 4-6 of them (aged 1 to 13) on one 6' sofa. So, if the intimacy is the driving force behind wanting a Beast (lol), you can still get that with a pair of sofas facing each other. Or if you have the space, a sofa facing the TV, flanked by a pair of chairs, forming a U shape. With smaller pieces of furniture, you'll have more design flexibility in the room, color selection, style options, and it won't be such a massive visual element.

If you still want the sectional, I would *totally* wait the 6 months for the special order fabric. Being couchless isn't so bad, and you'll *love* your navy sofa.

(Yes, get blue!!! It's awesome.)

• K Laurence
    hace 5 años

I ordered two sofas, same fabric.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 5 años
    I agree with Brenda - if you get the dark brown couch, then you’d want to avoid using dark woods for pieces like the coffee table, end tables etc. But if you cover the dark couch with a blizzard (it’s snowing here now) of pillows and throws, you might be OK.
  • a13xxa
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Helen - Thanks for the input on the sectional, however it works for us and that is not what I'm concerned about. More concerned about coordinating colors...thank you though.

Virgil - " Very glad to hear that it works fine for your family. For visitors, however, not so much... " The usage of this couch will most likely be 90% family and 10% visitors, so I'd rather have something that works for my family. Again, this is not what I'm concerned with, more concerned about coordinating colors with the space. Thank you for your concern though.

One Devoted Dame - Thanks for your input, again waiting that long is not an option for us at this point, so hopefully we will find something that works soon.

ShadyWillowFarm - thank you for commenting on my actual concern. :) I did not want dark wood pieces for the coffee or end tables, due to the flooring being so dark. So if I choose the brown I'll definitely be getting lighter pieces. Thanks!

• partim
    hace 5 años

Instead of looking for a couch with a chaise lounge you could get an ottoman instead which would give you a similar look and function.

Maybe you would find more selection

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

One of the simplest methods for color coordination in a living space is finding an appealing large area rug and use the colors in the rug for accessories and other furnishings.

Obviously, the rug and the initial sofa must work harmoniously together.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Stand by for the new thread, "Need Guidance with Appealing Large Area Rug",

• Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 5 años

Nice.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 5 años

Must be a slow night for architecture questions....

• Oliviag
    hace 5 años
    if your current sofa works for your family, and is a similar size and shape...why don't you use that til you find the one you want, in the color you want?
  • Manon Floreat
    hace 5 años

I'd opt for the beige sectional. Because the sofa is on the larger side and maybe your room isn't so large, I think the lighter sectional would be a god choice. You can still do blue accents. As Virgil noted, area rugs can be used to select accent colors.

Here are a couple of options. While perhaps not your tastes, I think the rugs illustrates how you can still use blue as an accent color. The addition of patterns and texture keep it from getting flat.

• everdebz
    hace 5 años

I have needed the Color Me Beautiful palettes, and so I'll ask if for you/your palettes, is there another color [probably] that could work better than navy, or indigo?

Seems to me the lighter tan neutral is more versatile, but you said in the lighting of the store is had yellow/amber tinge -- a bit camel?

Shetland Quality, Pure New Wool, Kilnsey, Berry, Throw Blanket · Más información

Paramount Par01 Area Rug, Multicolor, 7'10"x10'6" · Más información

[https://www.houzz.com/products/shetland-quality-pure-new-wool-kilnsey-berry-throw-blanket-prvw-vr~114219065[(https://www.houzz.com/products/shetland-quality-pure-new-wool-kilnsey-berry-throw-blanket-prvw-vr~114219065)

• everdebz
    hace 5 años

Again with tan you could in a lighter look use mid chambray to darker with this?

Diffusion Multi Rug, 8'x10' · Más información

[https://www.houzz.com/products/diffusion-multi-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~54719654[(https://www.houzz.com/products/diffusion-multi-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~54719654)

• everdebz
    hace 5 años

A look that is pretty is light: linen/ beige and greys - do you want linen-blend curtains, or burlap, etc.... but with softer fabrics a bit elegant:

Gray geometric cut velvet decorative pillow cover · Más información

Vasska Ombre Throw Pillows, Cognac, Set of 2 · Más información

[https://www.houzz.com/products/geo-scale-pillow-cover-gray-prvw-vr~14781814[(https://www.houzz.com/products/geo-scale-pillow-cover-gray-prvw-vr~14781814)

• everdebz
    hace 5 años

Denim color seems a natural. Consider metal finish for lamp, etc... this gold has the beige look:

Madison Park Kelsey Round Pouf Ottoman With Blue Finish FPF18-0090 · Más información

Oliver Gal "Abstract Blue and Gold" Pillow, 18"x18" · Más información

[https://www.houzz.com/products/kelsey-round-pouf-ottoman-blue-prvw-vr~76323853[(https://www.houzz.com/products/kelsey-round-pouf-ottoman-blue-prvw-vr~76323853)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 5 años
    Ooh pretty! Now I think the lighter couch would be good.
  • everdebz
    hace 5 años
  • everdebz
    hace 5 años
  • everdebz
    hace 5 años

Felt like posting - if you really go bold with blue art, etc...and maybe green, try

the dark sofa... what's your thought?

found blue cowhide...

Elleweideco Openwork Saain Embroidery Throw Pillow Cover Blue Squar, Blue · Más información

18"x18" Torino Cowhide Pillow, Navy · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/18x18-torino-cowhide-pillow-navy-prvw-vr~88979993

• suedonim75
    hace 5 años

So much sectional hate. My number one priority when furnishing my home is my comfort. Guest seating falls about 3-4 on the list. I've gone to people's houses where the seating wasn't super great, but I've managed and it didn't deter me from visiting again. I don't live there, I'm just there for a few hours.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.