Houzz Logo Print
lesley3689

Dining Room and Leaning Mirrors

lesley3689
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

I am considering placing three leaning mirrors against a large wall in my dining room.

The dining room wall size in over 100 inches high and 109 inches wide.

The possible mirrors are 30 inches wide by 82 inches high.

The ceiling is vauted and open concept.

The mirrors would reflect the light in the candle light fixture.

Click on the photos to open for larger view.

I prefer neutrals have a rustic wine country kind of vibe.

My concern is would it be too much brown and ivory. I could put color on the dinign room table for an accent.

Also, what design mirror? One has the raw live edge type the other is more simple yet beautiful.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Comentarios (16)

• Helen
    hace 5 años

I've read that eating in front of a mirror is a great diet aid - extra weight loss if you dine in the nude :-).

lesley3689 agradeció a Helen
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

I have no objection to a mirror going over a sideboard in a dining room. It's been a classic design for centuries and no one ever complains or looks at oneself while eating (unless they are a total narcissist!).

But leaning mirrors are a major catastrophe waiting to happen. I would not do this.

lesley3689 agradeció a Anglophilia
  • arcy_gw
    hace 5 años

Light reflection is good. People being reflected, not so much. If I were seated and could not see myself (my HOPE) but I were given odd reflections of people's backs, sides I would find it distracting. Plus as I type this I am considering privacy. Think gas station store where mirrors pick up a lot of things people are unaware of. Is there no large art work or display item that would be more interesting?

lesley3689 agradeció a arcy_gw
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años

No. And even the tallest leaner would look stubby short on tall walls. No.

lesley3689 agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

NoNoNo mirrors in DRs IMO are a bit tricky since no one really wants see themselves eating and in your case everyones feet too.Get a nice big piece of art and use the leaning mirrors somewhere else BTW those end chairs look bad with that table

• PRO
    Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
    hace 5 años

I like the idea of light reflection, but I honestly think three mirrors is way too much and I am concerned with safety. Would you consider a buffet and mirrors hung above it on the wall to give you the same effect?

lesley3689 agradeció a Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
  • threers
    hace 5 años

Can you have the table so the short end is near the wall rather than the long end...the chairs and table seems very tight in that space...of course you would have to change the light fixture too.

And please no mirrors for all the reasons stated in previous responses. Find a beautiful piece of art work that speaks to you.

lesley3689 agradeció a threers
  • kulrn
    hace 5 años

Another vote for no mirrors! Though I did find this one picture with mirrors that I didn't hate!

how to decorate a large wall in dining room - Google Search · Más información

lesley3689 agradeció a kulrn
  • IdaClaire
    hace 5 años

Nobody sits and stares at themselves eating in a dining room mirror. Mirrors have been hung in dining spaces since practically the beginning of time, and are a traditional element regardless of what the naysayers claim. Reflecting candlelight, a lovely meal, and most of all the people gathered around the table is a delight. I would not hesitate to use a mirror in your dining space, but I would choose a large one that can be hung, and would forget about leaning three of them, which would create a choppy "fun house" effect.

lesley3689 agradeció a IdaClaire
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

No vote for the leaning mirrors. You can use mirrors in a dining room, but frankly your dining room is a little casual and pub style for accent mirrors. Try selecting something which will add more texture, interest and perhaps a bit of color to your situation.

Your chandelier should have been hung 30" - 36" above the top of the table.

lesley3689 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • lesley3689
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you to all that replied. My original thought process:

It is a rarely used area, yet prominent in the house (large wall, one of the first things you see upon entering the house), so I thought a statement piece(s) would look good.

I thought the raw edge mirror might provide sufficient visual interest, combined with the light reflection while retaining simplicity. Perhaps as much as a large piece of art or display item.

With the wall being 124" wide (not 109), I could position the mirrors apart enough to where the 2 diners would not be looking directly at themselves. I kind of doubt the diners at the head of the table would turn to their sides to view themselves.

Though they are leaning mirrors, I would've affixed them a bit somehow to avoid a major catastrophe.

With the wall height being 100" high, I thought the 82" high mirror would be tall enough to avoid looking stubby short.

Patricia, care to elaborate on your BTW comment?

Brenda, I really like the idea of a buffet with mirrors hung above! Unfortunately, I don't have sufficent space - even for a narrow footprint one. Thank you for your considerately worded comment. I appreciate the helpful suggestion too.

Threers, yes, the space is tight, unfortunately. But thank you kindly for the suggestion.

Kulrn, I don't hate it either! ☺ Thanks for the suggestion.

IdaClaire, That was my thought too. I hope the people gathered around the good food and nice glass of wine ☺and conversation would be a lovely enough experience. All the while with the light reflection from the fixture (which is on a dimmer btw).

Thank you for the kindly worded comment and very helpful suggestion of avoiding a choppy effect. I didn't consider that aspect. Yikes. You have me thinking.

Thanks again, everybody. No mirrors prevail ☺

• lesley3689
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks, Beverly. I see your point. You're right, the dining room is more on the rustic side.

That is probably why I thought the raw edge might work and tie in. I was concerned about a lack of color as well. Perhaps I can incorporate a neutral complementary color in that area. Thank you for the photos.. Very helpful!

• User
    hace 5 años

Lesley, I had the same reaction to the end chairs as Patricia. They are great chairs, but do not support the rustic wine country vibe the rest of the area has. Kind of an off note.

lesley3689 agradeció a User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

Here are your leaning mirrors with the table. I hope this illustration will explain my concerns.

lesley3689 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • lesley3689
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Beverly, thank you so much. The visual is impactful and solidifies my decision. Crisis averted.

Thanks, Delilah. I got caught up in seeing this look featured in a rustic environment in PB and RH catalogs.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.