Houzz Logo Print
gdogtlaw

Front Porch dilemma, five pillars not connected to anything...

Greg P
hace 5 años

I have 5 Pillars in front of my house. They used to be connected to the house by a wooden overhang where you could grow vines. I removed the wood because it was rotting and now I have these 5 pillars not connected to the house. My thought is to keep two of them (the two on the end) and build a stone or wood fence, but then the top still wouldn't be connected. I could also keep the two closest to the front door to make some sort of gate in front. I could simply remove them all. Thought? Thank you!

Comentarios (20)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    hace 5 años

I can’t wrap my head around either of the two scenarios you mention using only a few of the existing pillars.

I would remove them all, or replace what you removed with new wood.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 5 años

I agree with the poster above. Either replace the wood or remove all of the pillars.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    hace 5 años

This is AWESOME! I so wish I had monoliths. My biggest hangup is that I'm not sure I'm willing to mow around them, and the best place for them would be the side yard. You could:

• put large wooden lintels across the tops, rather like Stonehenge
    • build fence pieces between all but the center two, for an entrance
    • put statuary on the tops
    • paint fancy designs on them, either the same or different for each post

That is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more non-gray, non-neutral ideas out there.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

Another voice for removal! They serve no purpose, are not the slightest bit welcoming and only help to obscure the entry, which should be open and fully visible. And they just look wrong!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

It was a great idea, but the scale of the columns overwhelms the scale of the home.

First ask yourself if this is the proper location for a pergola or outdoor room? In front of the house?? Take a look at your home and see if perhaps some of those windows should be changed out to add some interest to the front of the house.

The whole thing can be made from either synthetic wood or aluminum but landscaping is just as important to have it be successful.

• cpaul1
    hace 5 años

I'm just a big believer in things having a purpose. And I just don't see what purpose those would have. Your home is not the style to make a wooden pergola with them. And your house is already low and dark so that would just add to that which isn't good. I don't think fencing in the front of your house at that height would look good at all. So I would probably cut them in half and connect them with a iron/metal fencing to create some architectural detail to the front of your house (as your house is rather flat and plain). If you didn't want to do that, then I would just remove them. What you really need to do next is paint your house a lighter color. It's just too dark and that color matches too closely with the driveway pavers.

Greg P agradeció a cpaul1
  • hazelcraddock
    hace 5 años

mad_gallica Cue music "2001 a Space Odyssey"

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    hace 5 años

Mad, you cracked me up and unfortunately I was sipping my tea! OP, do y be ou have any pictures BEFORE you removed the wood so we can have some sort of visual. I'm thinking this entire thing is a NO, but could be persuaded to add back the roofing. While I agree, generally this sort of thing is for the back of a house, it may the only area for outdoor seating and one can't really see how visible this is from the street. I definitely wouldn't leave them "as is".

Greg P agradeció a Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Christopher CNC
    hace 5 años

Even without the pergola roofing connected to the house, the pillars have a very obvious function. That would be preventing cars from driving into the living room. If the existing paving Is staying the same, every effort should be made to reincorporate the pillars into a remodel of the entire front entry. Something has to keep the cars from parking smack up against the house. You know someone would do it and not give it a second thought. Plenty people are lazy.

Greg P agradeció a Christopher CNC
  • Anne Duke
    hace 5 años
    Knock those things down.
    Greg P agradeció a Anne Duke
  • greenfish1234
    hace 5 años

Replace pergola AND vines or bye-bye. Do not get jiggy with these!

• PRO
    CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
    hace 5 años

My vote goes to keeping them and tying them together with an arbor structure on top similar to the photo Yardvaark posted above. You could take it one step further and use hedgerows or fencing to close off all but one entry and create a really nice courtyard sitting area within. Inside the courtyard you need a better balance of hardscape/softscape. If you don't want to go the front patio route you could leave the main walkway to front door, install the hedgerows between the other posts, install some foundation plantings along the front of the home and introduce an open grass panel inside for interest.

hace 5 años

What is the entire hardscape area for.... is that parking? I don't actually see any soil where you could plant vines or roses. Where do you live?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    hace 5 años

There are beds at each end and it should be easy enough to make planting holes at the pillar bases by removing a couple of blocks. That is, of course, if vines are wanted.

hace 5 años

Thanks. I couldn't really see that on my screen. :)

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Float decorative wood on some; eliminate others

Whisper Rock Residence · Más información

Eliminate some and add a gate to others

Another gate idea

Martell Garden · Más información

Balance a pergola on top

2013 ALE: Restoration of Rose Valley Farm · Más información

• emmarene9
    hace 5 años

I have a general aversion to paving that meets the foundation of a building. Reminds me of strip malls.

It looks like a hot patio area. I would not spend to recreate a pergola which you may not even want.

I would remove them and attempt to make the house itself more appealing.

Before any of that I would see to having the tree trimmed that is flopping on the roof. It is bad for the shingles in addition to making the house seem abandoned.

As an avid gardener I also have to say that caring for a vine on a pergola is not work free. Some vines need to be trained or tied and pruned when needed. Also, leaves and flowers fall on the pavement and need swept up. A gardener might enjoy that work but many people do not. Not to mention that roses and bougainvillea both have thorns. It is just something to consider.

A more long term goal would be to remove some of the paving to allow for foundation plants.

Greg P agradeció a emmarene9
  • harold100
    hace 5 años

I would knock those down and place some large flower pots in those areas to keep the cars back away from the house.

• Jora
    hace 5 años

Am I the ONLY one who loves them? Paint them off white (along with the house) and turn them into Pergolas! :)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.