Houzz Logo Print
ochenjelefamily

Is Hale Navy too dark for an entire room?

Krista O
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

I want to change the color in our dining room. It is currently SW rain which has always looked too baby blue in there to me. We live in a century home with high ceilings and gorgeous woodwork. This room is south facing with a large bay window. I don’t have the best photo of the room but right now. We have a darker wood table (can seat up to 14...so big dining room) and almost black stained chairs. I got samples today of Hale navy and blue note by Benjamin Moore. Both look so dark on our wall. Is this too dark a color to paint an entire room? Is there another navy that gives the same dark blue look but not so dark? I don’t want another for of a medium blue.

Comentarios (41)

• latifeh hammad
    hace 5 años
    Can you provide a picture
  • Krista O
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I’m trying. Is there a trick? It looks like it’s on there then I post and it’s not showing up.

• ilikefriday
    hace 5 años

Hale Navy is a beautiful color. I think what you do with the rest of the room will determine if it is is too dark for your space. IMO dark walls often look really awesome. You have to consider the entire space.

• annied75
    hace 5 años
    If you find hale navy too dark, then check out BM Van Deusen Blue. It's also from the historical collection.
  • annied75
    hace 5 años

BM Van Deusen Blue

Mudroom/ Home Office · Más información

• sheilaskb
    hace 5 años

I believe the color on the right in your photo is the better one because it is brighter and has more "life" to it. All the white trim will make the dark blue shade pop, and I believe it will be lovely. White in the curtain fabric, table cloth, and chair pads will stand out and look fresh against the dark blue.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Hale Navy is our Library color, I love it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

BM Gentlemen's Gray is a beautiful darker color (don't let the name fool you) for your dining room and your white trim and natural light is going to make it gorgeous!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    It isn’t as saturated as Hale but really beautiful. Van Deusen is a fav of mine but it isn’t quite as deep.
  • K R
    hace 5 años
    On your walls those blues look muddy. I agree try the other blues that are a little lighter with a little more depth. I think a navy room would look lovely!
  • Krista O
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Here’s a better photo of the room in the daylight. For those that recommended the VanDusen blue, does it still look navy or lean more toward royal blue?

• Rawketgrl
    hace 5 años

Try BM Old Navy it is a less grayed Navy.

• housegal200
    hace 5 años

Do keep in mind that you have very dark chairs, table, and floor. You are going to need contrast in lighting, art, rug--can't really see yours. Most of the rooms shown have much lighter visual areas in furnishings or wall or floor features. It does help that you have a lot of white molding. This is the second posting today where there's not enough visual information. Do you have a sideboard? What's your overhead lighting?

Krista O agradeció a housegal200
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

I wouldn't call Van Deusen Blue a "navy" blue, it is more of a medium to dark blue. I can get the exact color notations for it if you wish.

• annied75
    hace 5 años

I have my master painted BM Hale Navy. I love it!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Great DR color if your family has weight issues to address. Otherwise, it is too calming a color to use in a room where you want people to enjoy eating and having lively dinner conversation.

• ilikefriday
    hace 5 años

As long as the food is delicious and the conversation is interesting I dont think the color of the walls will come into play....

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

I have had dark blue dining rooms and they are my favorite and have had wonderful times in the room. I agree that some colors invoke certain emotions, if you have a lovely dinner party or reception/buffet, the dining room color that will impact most is the food colors and presentations!

• annied75
    hace 5 años
    Lol! If blue suppresses eating, then wouldn't everyone just paint their living spaces blue? No more need for dieting and exercising!
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Maybe they just haven't figured out that angle and all the diet fad companies would fold! Kind of like the cancer industry. Fat chance (pun intended) they'll ever find a cure! They'd all have to find new jobs!

• cpaul1
    hace 5 años

Yes. Way.

• PRO
    Mafi International Rugs
    hace 5 años

A dark wall can be really beautiful, especially paired with trim that makes it pop. Also consider using a rug to ground the whole look together and bring more life to the room!

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

No. Its lovely. I just did my new study in Van Deusen blue which is a bit lighter and has a "dusty" quality to it compared to Hale Navy (which I also considered along with SW Naval) . I couldn't be happier with my choice. I did everything in the space this color, walls, casing, moulding, shelves, cabinets etc. and plan on wallpapering the ceiling. Tried to post a picture but Houzz is throwing a temper tantrum. Will try from my phone.

• Krista O
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I tried to post this earlier but for some reason its not uploading. I just got a sample of newbury blue. Would that be considered a navy? We have this rug which is probably going to stay for a while. It’s muted greens, greys and blues. There are places with a dark slate color in it. We have young children and can’t go too light for the rug anyway. I don’t have anything on the walls and we need to get a sideboard at some point.

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

Krista, beside the rug what other items are staying as is? Are the chairs black? Are they going to remain black? What about the light fixture? In the photo the rug looks tan and coral on my screen. Can you take a close up of the rug? I LOVE navy. That said looking at the elements of your room I am not convinced it is the best color choice for the space if all the other things in the room are remaining the same. Your chairs are going to disappear. The lighting fixture is going to fade into the walls too. The rug I cant tell.......looking at this last picture my immediate thought was a beautiful coral color would be stunning. Of course we need to see a shot of just the rug and the colors you have going on with it.

Krista O agradeció a pink_peony
  • jalarse
    hace 5 años
    I love Newburyport blue, by Benjamin Moore. I used it in my master bedroom. You could also use a white chair rail molding to break up the blue or wainscoting.
  • dakotacharm
    hace 5 años

Krista, I have Newburyport Blue in a living room! It's gorgeous, I love it. It really absorbs light, so I think a dining room would be beautiful for it! and I totally feel in my living room that it's navy. Looks great with any colored metal, from brass to bronze.

• Heather N
    hace 5 años

Our kitchen cabinets are painted Benjamin Moore Evening Sky, which is similar. Your room seems very dark right now with the table, chairs, rug, floor. Do you have any other lighting in there other than the chandelier? Sconces our lamps would be great. I don’t mind the current color, but I do love dark dining rooms - think they’re so nice in the evening when you linger around the table. My old dining room had light-colored walls and I didn’t like sitting there at night.

• Heather N
    hace 5 años

Also, have you considered wallpaper? I just love wallpaper in a dining room

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    For your dining room, given concerns expressed, I think the Van Deusen Blue would be perfect choice. Put some white ginger jars on your table with perhaps a branch or two of eucalyptus in one would create lively look tying in some sage green from your rug.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    With dark blue walls and your white trim you can take it in any direction you wish! Here are examples.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    Question? Do you see your kitchen cabinets from dining room? That BM cabinet color looks like it is in the Purple-Red Hue family so it might effect the dining room choice.
  • Krista O
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The dining room is very separate. The house was built in 1918 and is still configured how it would have been back then with live in maids.

The rug in the dining room is staying. It is kind of a light sage green with a burnt orange color around the border. Our chairs are stained but almost black. We won’t be changing those either.

As for lighting, we only have the overhead brass chandelier.

• Heather N
    hace 5 años

If you’re keeping that rug, I don’t love navy for the walls. I don’t like it with the sage/orange colors. Also don’t like the black chairs against the navy wall. I do love your windows, however, so pretty!

I would add add some additional lighting if possible. If you can’t get some hardwired sconces, then plug-in sconces with a clean covered cord still look fine. Or lamps on a sideboard or small table. The room is going to look very dark if you paint the walls dark and only have 4 bulbs overhead in a single chandelier. Even if you don’t paint the room dark, having some more levels of lighting will be nice and make the room feel cozier. I don’t know what the other walls in the room look like in terms of where to place a fixture, but your photos look like they could use more lighting to me.

Krista O agradeció a Heather N
  • PRO
    COCo
    hace 5 años

I used Hale Navy this summer and loved it, I will use it again. However, I did do a very white bright trim and ceiling. And beautiful white velvet drapes. Very elegant. Bedroom.

• tatts
    hace 5 años

Heather N is right about lighting. The dark walls will prevent the light from diffusing properly and everything will be shadowy. You need sconces or table lamps to fill in the shadows.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    A couple floor lamps strategically located with LED 4000 dimmable bulbs should be plenty. The dark blue walls with your rug and a beautiful table arrangement will be gorgeous!! Some accents of orange will enhance the rug and the room. Could be carmel color candles in several candkesticks. Gorgeous.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    Krista- this will be gorgeous. All kinds of ways to make the dark blue cohesive with your rug and chairs. Perhaps some gold rub and buff on the chair backs on edges to highlight their shape. I can see this in my minds eye and it is beautiful.
  • pink_peony
    hace 5 años

I think the colors will work together but i think you need to bring in a lot of warm whites/creams to balance all the dark color. Do you have a side board you can put two cream/off white ginger jar lamps on? Like Flos idea of white ginger jars on the table. Can you do some window treatments in a white as well? Would you consider getting chairs in a lighter color for the ends of your table? Something upholstered? What type of art work is in the room? Something with a lot of white in the back ground or large matting in white will help too.

Adaliz Glass Table Lamp, White · Más información

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    I tried to do a little mock up for you to show you how pretty your dining room can be. Drapery is a challenge so you might need a white woven or white roman shade at your windows but thus will help you visualize the darker walls with your beautiful white trim and some white accessories.
    Krista O agradeció a Flo Mangan
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.