Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9459064

double wall ovens vs. large double oven/stove combination- preference?

User
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

I'm starting to think about our future kitchen remodel which will be a tear out and re-do basically. Right now we have a oven/stove combo that I don't like because A. it's not enough ovens for a holiday meal like Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. and B. there are not enough burners and not enough space on the cook top (I have 6 children who still live with me and who I cook for constantly). I also don't like that when I open the oven it is kinda dangerous for the dog and kids who are near it ( my youngest children are 2 and 5 still). I would love advice about having a double wall oven set-up vs. getting a nice (like Wolf brand) double oven and large stovetop set-up. Thank you!!

Comentarios (17)

• wekick
    hace 5 años

How do you use your oven?

What type of cooking do you do? How many burners do you have now vs need? Do you use a griddle? Do you have enough room to give up counter space for a wall oven?

Have you considered the ventilation and possible makeup air you will need with a larger maybe higher BTU burner?

Aside from the economics of a wall oven, another advantage of separate burners and ovens is that you get the best of each for your situation. If you like Wolf burners or griddle but want an electric oven, you could avoid the problem of the Wolf blue chipping in their blue lining and get another brand oven. If you like BlueStar burners but want an electric oven, you are not forced to get a gas oven as that is what they have in their range.

This is more expensive maybe but some people even buy two single ovens. If one goes bad, you still have another oven. Some people want a combi oven. Do you plan on a microwave somewhere?

• artistsharonva
    hace 5 años

i would love to have a big oven stove like posted.

-They are $$$

-the correct ventilation $$$.

-Need a big open space above, loss storage around, but fine if there's plenty of available storage eleswhere.

I avoid combo appliances when possible. That way if 1 appliance goes bad,i don't have to replace both.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    hace 5 años

I really like my Bluestar wall oven. No bending over, the doors take up only half the floor space when open, and it's at a convenient height. The cooktop is induction, which is far better than gas.

• skmom
    hace 5 años
    Here’s a photo of our diy kitchen remodel (gut job) I was trying to post a before/after photo I have but it wouldn’t let me down load it for some reason, weird. Anyways, I have 5 kids and do a lot of cooking as well. Now, in all honesty, I actually prefer double wall ovens with a large cooktop and that’s what I had in my last house... but I also had a lot more wall space in my last kitchen and those double ovens didn’t honk up all my countertop space in that kitchen layout. My current kitchen is not small, but I only have those two walls and I knew for sure I didn’t want a cooktop in the island as I’d already had that before and hated it. This kitchen originally had double wall oven and cooktop in island, and I had very little counter space. Originally we were going to purchase a 48” range once we decided a range was a better use of space in this particular kitchen, but I was nervous about how effective the smaller oven would be for me... I mean, seriously... big family = big pans and most people don’t “get that.” (My kids are all teens and young adults now and still all live at home... so all adult sized eaters...) anyways, we found this 60” dual fuel range for a steal of a deal and decided to get it instead of 48” and I’m really happy we did. I have PLENTY of space now for massive cooking, though if I could do it over again I’d rather have double the sized griddle and I’d skip the grill... oh well. But in reality, sometimes I miss having the wall ovens because the height is more convenient. (And yes, ventilation and make up air and all that is costly when you’re paying someone else to do it... we lucked out because my hubby is literally a rocket scientist and he did ALL of the work in this kitchen except for fabricating and installing the granite perimeter counters, he even designed and built all cabinetry, tore out a small wall, moved gas, electrical, and plumbing... he did it all.) However, if we ever move and I end up with a kitchen with more walls... I’d probably go back to a double wall oven with a separate cooktop. (Even though I love this range and call it my “command central.”)
  • greenfish1234
    hace 5 años

My situation is:

1 thermadore 6 burner range with huge oven

1 wall oven

i love this set-up because the range oven is huge and can fit a turkey roasting pan or half-sheet pan perpendicular to the length of the oven (essentially I could roast 2 turkeys side-by-side easily) and still fit side dishes as well. I use this oven less often than my smaller Bosch wall oven so I have the best of both worlds. The larger ranges like the ones you posted worry me-the big oven is smaller than mine and the small one is...wtf???

another point in all seriousness. We see these applialances and we just KNOW we need the best there is to buy. I had to have the one with the most BTUs. I do cook a lot, and love to entertain. LOTS of seared meat. But I literally have almost no use for all that power!! the rule in our house is don't turn the knob above medium. Even boiling pasta I rarely need to use "high," much less "extra high!" The biggest stockpot for broth or beer is the only thing that occasionally sees full blast.

So if you want to save some money, forget all the BTUs. The best featute I have on my range is "extra low!"

• Heather N
    hace 5 años

My previous kitchen had an oven like the one shown - 48” Thermador range with a large oven on one side and a smaller oven on the other side. My new kitchen has a 48” Bluestar range top (8 burner with removable griddle/grill) and 2 Miele wall ovens (a convection steam oven on top and a regular oven below). I prefer the wall ovens. It is much easier on my back. I use the smaller convection steam oven multiple times per day, and rarely use my large regular oven. I use my oven more than my cooktop, so having a comfortable height for an oven is key. I also liked that I could split the brands - Miele for the ovens and Bluestar for the range, since only Miele and Gaggenau offered a plumbed version of a steam oven. I like being able to easily see the food cooking in the oven in the wall oven without having to bend over. I think I’ve only ever used 4 burners at once, so the 8 burner cooktop is fine for me. I do like that the ovens under the range come in wider versions that the wall ovens. The typical wall oven is 30” wide, but you can get 36” wide ovens as part of a range.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I do like the idea of not having to bend over to use the ovens. What is a steam oven used for generally? Sorry for my ignorance.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    hace 5 años

Baking mostly, or anything where you spritz water on to enhance the crust.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sounds amazing Heather!
  • jalarse
    hace 5 años
    Hi Stephanie, I have the 48” WOLF. Have had it for almost 18 years. I love it and would not trade it for the world. It has the 30” oven and the 18” oven. Our combination is 4 burners with griddle and charbroiler. We use a 1200 CFM exhaust fan since barbecuing on that charbroiler can put out a lot of smoke. Mine is all gas actually propane since there is no natural gas lines where we live. I do a lot of baking (breads, rolls and desserts) several times a week. I really appreciate the gas ovens and am not a fan of electric. To me high heat and electronics were never meant to go together. Just personal preference I guess. Nice thing about this stove is it got my husband interested in cooking. Good luck on your decision.
  • waverly6
    hace 5 años

@Stephanie, Heather N has eloquently described a the uses of a convection steam oven. I had also never heard of it as I redid my main kitchen 16 years ago and returned to Houzz/gardenweb to research another kitchen. After reading all about it here ( do a search on combi convection steam oven posts) and visiting a MIele experience center to watch a demo, I am sold. With MIele, the oven describes exactly what to do and when to do it so your children as they get older, will be able to cook meals on their own. Also research induction cooktops and you may want to look at that instead of gas. It's safer with kids as the cooktop does not get hot. if you look at a 36 induction cooktop that should cope with the needs of a large family.

• mcdb
    hace 5 años

My electrician purchased a 48" range and was thrilled to switch from electric to gas but I told him. I had just recently purchase a 48 inch range and last minute decided to change my order because I am really tired cleaning ranges with heavy grates. I decided on electric over induction.

If gas if your choice the cook-tops have a seamless base and that is so much easier to clean as there are no nooks and crannies to get messy. Below is a 48" Fisher and Paykel with a lot of burners. I'm getting a 36" electric cook-top with a bridge option so I can place a griddle pan or a large oval pot. If you need a large capacity and many burners this American Range has an all gas double oven 60 inch all gas for only $3,500. Looks a tad industrial but really cool for an industrial mod kitchen but yet affordable.

A friend of mine commented on visiting a home with a double oven. She disliked the upper oven and said pulling out heavy hot items from the top is not the safest thing either. My electrician complained that his 18' oven in his 48" range made it hard during holidays and large parties.

Best of luck to you and happy shopping!

• ccwatters
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I think pro-ranges are gorgeous, I almost went that route 16 years ago because of it. But even with my 48" clearance between cooktop and island, I decided that functionally the space was too low / uncomfortable for me having to monitor my food as it cooks.

I went with a 36" Wolf cooktop and Thermador double wall ovens. (just had to replace them) Still love the function of my kitchen setup.

Also, I now have had back issues through my 40's and the older I get, I appreciate my double wall oven setup even more. The bottom oven is not so low to ground, ideal for heavier things and I can also see clearly what's going on ... and the upper oven makes things a breeze to monitor and lift out with little effort...the new telescopic racks make it extremely easy!

(I just can't currently recommend a good double oven! The Dacor I just replaced my 16 year Thermador with is a lemon and I cannot find anything good to exchange the Dacor with!? Seems everything is about looks and/or gimmicky now....sigh)

• Jerry Jorgenson
    hace 5 años

Bluestar now makes a double wall oven. I have the single one and it's been great. The only gimmick is the temperature probe in the baking stone, and that's more of a convenience than a gimmick. (I posted a picture earlier in this thread.)

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

>>>following....

• Erin Paskett
    el último año

I’m having this same debate for our kitchen so hard!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.