Houzz Logo Print
hutchae84

different patios styles/cost

My husband and are are planning on adding a small "dining" patio off the back of our house. We have spent a significant amount of money on our house and still have a lot of landscaping to do so he would like to choose an option that isn't $$$. He believes the best option would be to do a cement patio. I am not found of this look and our house is more traditional (1920s). We have gotten a quote for this. I would prefer to use pavers of some sort as it is more rainwise for our weather (PNW) and I feel it fits the look of our home better and will age better.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of patio might be a good compromise? Or some of the less expensive paver options might be before I start getting additional quotes?

Comentarios (12)

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for your input, yes sorry, I meant poured concrete. We have gotten the quote for the concrete and one for flagstone (which was about $8k just for materials). I would like to get see more quotes for something a step or two above poured concrete. or if anyone has some inspiration pictures of poured concrete that lends to a more traditional setting that would be appreciated as well.
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Actually I do like some of the stamped options I am seeing online, which can go e the look of a paver or brick patio so thanks for the recommendation.

• TBL from CT
    hace 5 años

Natural materials will vary in thickness which means every piece has to be inset and leveled precisely (cut bluestone, any natural stone). Manufactured materials like concrete pavers and most brick will be uniform and require less labor. For any laid masonry, there is a lot of prep and labor. The materials cost is secondary.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

To get quotes for various materials you need to have a full design plan for the patio, otherwise you may just be comparing apples to oranges :-) But with a formalized design, you can offer it out for estimates or bids from landscape or masonry contractors and get a realistic comparison of costs based on materials and labor.

If you are in the greater Seatte area, Mutual Materials would be a great resource. They have multiple outlets in the Puget Sound area, carry a full range of paving products and accessories, typically have instore mock-ups of the products and can provide contractor referrals.

fwiw, I grew up in a home that was built in 1929 that had a concrete patio off the daylight basement that was original to the house. I was pretty young then and not involved in landscaping but it looked perfectly appropriate and in keeping with the architecture of the house to me :-) There is nothing that is necessarily very 'modern' or contemporary about concrete as a material....it's been in use for a couple hundred years!

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks gardengal, I will check them out as I am in Seattle. I just see all of our concrete sidewalks and how they are buckled and cracked from our tree roots (and other elements) which makes me hesitant to use it.
  • mindshift
    hace 5 años

Your husband wants to stay away from $$$ projects. You say you got a quote for a flagstone surface that was $8K just for materials. Isn't that what he wanted to stay away from? Please note that you can pour a concrete patio, and in the future add a flagstone, brick or tile overlay. Brick over gravel can be just as affected by tree roots as brick over concrete.

Never plant a large tree closer to your house, drive or walkway than 20 ft. Avoid trees with shallow root system. Norway, silver and sugar maples all have roots at ground level. Aspens, poplars and cottonwood not only have shallow roots but wide ranging root systems.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

OP is in the PNW......trees, even very large trees, close to a house are commonplace :-) And as noted, tree roots can lift any kind of paving.......doesn't matter if it is concrete or paving or flagstone!! But the sorts of trees described above are not common to the area and certainly not in any Seattle neighborhood.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    As gardengal said, the trees have already been in my yard for a few decades so they are here to stay.

The paver quote was the first one he got, I didn't think he realized how expensive it would be at first. We then started looking at more affordable options.
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 5 años

Don't get any more quotes until the patio is designed. As Gardengal mentioned, you will not be able to get apples-to-apples quotes on a "fantasy" patio. Contractors will bid high -- so as to make sure the budget will cover all the details you ultimately want. (Sometimes, it is a way of having you not bother them any longer unless your final budget will make it worth their while. Or they will bid low so as to get their foot in the door. Later, they will need more when the design is firmed up.) For budget purposes, you might consider a patio that can be installed in phases. Maybe it is small to start with and expands later.

IME, many nice stamped concrete options can be as, or almost as expensive as, pavers ... because there are a lot of options. There are quality differences in everything and a stamped patio needs to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing. Pavers are more forgiving, IMO.

As pointed out, any paving can be uplifted by tree roots so roots need to be dealt with as a separate issue.

I would not undervalue concrete. It can be plain. But it can also be enhanced by some simple and inexpensive treatments. A favorite treatment of mine is to score a 12" wide band/border around its edge. You'd be surprised how much difference this makes and it is not expensive. The beauty of concrete depends a lot on its geometric layout and the details of same and also the finishing details. (I personally dislike heavy, rough or sloppy brooming which is prolifically common.) I once did a large patio for a senior high-rise using stamped concrete. But because their budget was tight, we used no color (so less skill needed there, too.) It was a stamped field of brick basket-weave pattern surrounded by a 12" plain scored border. It was quite handsome in spite of having no brick color, but only pattern, and about as low cost as could be had. It also had the benefit of being solid color (limestone) so as not to show another color underneath should it get chipped.

Also be careful of stamping with high texture patterns (such as cobblestone) as this can be difficult to walk on with some shoes.

I would get the design done first and if need be determine how it can split into phases.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks yardvark. I started another thread as you suggested on my other one but maybe I should have just posted the additional information on here. I don't want to be a bother and have too many posts, so I can always delete the newly created one and add the info here.
  • PRO
    Drawn by Nature Landscaping
    hace 5 años

Plain concrete is usually your cheapest route. Now you can upgrade a little bit from the standard gray color and get colored concrete that will complement your house. Stamped concrete and lower-end pavers are your mid-grade options. Typically with pavers a 4"x8" brick laid in herringbone pattern is a traditional look that never seems out of place. Once you start to venture into larger pavers that are gaining popularity these days then expect the price to jump up a few dollars per square foot. Natural stone and flagstone are the most expensive options out there due to the high amount of labor hours it takes to fit everything together.

I always urge people to consider pavers over concrete. The fact that concrete cracks and section pop up or sink over time is inevitable. Pavers often shift a bit as well. But the longevity between the two is that pavers can be taken up and relaid and no one would ever know the difference. Whereas concrete would require sections being removed and new concrete poured. New concrete does not look the same as old concrete!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.