Houzz Logo Print
abby_798844938

Help pleeeease. I have no idea what to do with my living room.

abby_798844938
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hello. I'm desperate for help. This is my living room/dining room.
I want to put plain light yellow drapes but I'm starting to doubt it because I can't find a rug that feels right.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Comentarios (41)

• PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 5 años

Are you looking for a casual or formal living room?

abby_798844938 agradeció a A Crew of Two
  • abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Casual

• PRO
    Let's Decorate
    hace 5 años
    What is this room? The couches look really crowded and big for the size of the room.
  • PRO
    Let's Decorate
    hace 5 años
    Ok. Sorry. I see living room/dining room. Is there any way you could take pictures from other areas of the room?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 5 años

I would definitely pick the area rug first. That's going to set the tone for the room

• PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 5 años

The furniture feels very formal and traditional so adding quirky throw pillows will give it a more casual look

• njmomma
    hace 5 años

following

• PRO
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

IMO you need to get rid of one sofa but honestly we need to see the whole space so more pics please. Those sofas are very formal so yes adding some fun pillows would be a good idea. Crew all those could have been in one post.

abby_798844938 agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 5 años

Sorry my phone won't let me...didn't mean to inconvenience you

• Gargamel
    hace 5 años

I love your couhes. Your room would look amazing with A Crew's suggestions

abby_798844938 agradeció a Gargamel
  • njmomma
    hace 5 años

Not a Pro.

Some inspiration:

Rizzy Home 18"x18" Pillow · Más información

Surya Rivera RVR-1000 5'x7'6" Rug · Más información

abby_798844938 agradeció a njmomma
  • abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks everyone and sorry for the late response.

I will add another picture maybe it can give clearer idea.

And happy new year!

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I bought this area rug. Waiting for the delivery.

• kaye1951
    hace 5 años

Are all three sofas the same length? Would one of the sofas work as seating at your dining table? The TV needs a credenza to ground it. What is on the wall left of the TV? Please wait till you get the rug before purchasing curtains.

abby_798844938 agradeció a kaye1951
  • KK1000
    hace 5 años
    I like your rug choice and I hope you bought the right size , because if it’s too small it ruins the look. Your curtains are a bit dated, you could replace them with roller blinds hang outside window frame and high up under the ceiling/ cornice and couple inches wider than the window. I think they can look really good in some textured fabric, better if they are not recessed in the window. You might want to think about replacing Tv cabinet for something in light colour or white. I am also thinking of trying TV somewhere else. Is it possible to have photos of dining room and living from different angles. Mainly because you have 3 couches, do you need all of them for watching TV??
    abby_798844938 agradeció a KK1000
  • abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@kaye1951 thank you.

These curtains are just temporary.

I'm waiting for the rug to get new ones.

I'I'm extra cautious with low furniture as my 20 months is handful.

The big brown UGLY cupboard is to hide the electrical panel.

I'm planning to change it's color to a lighter one so it blends in.

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@KK1000 thank you so much.

I hope I got the right size fingers crossed.

1 couch is bigger than the other 2.

Although we are a small family but we usually entertain quite big numbers of guests that's why the more seating the better.

The curtains are just temporary until the rug arrives.

The big brown cabinet is covering the electrical panel. Sorrily I have little to do about it. I'm planning to change it's color to a lighter one.

Will take more pictures ASAP.

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

This here is some vintage box I got in a good deal.

I'm using it in place of TV cabinet until I figure things out

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Lighting is another issue.

I really don't like the but don't have the budget to replace them.

Any DIY ideas?

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Another question: Should I do anything with the walls? Paint or wallpaper?

• Sonsoles de Lacalle
    hace 5 años
    Can you DIY reupholster at least one couch, maybe striped? Also, can you remove the exit sign? It gives an institutional vibe to the room..... Yes, def to roller or roman shades, NO curtains! Consider a modern large artwork to place next to TV instead of the bulky electrical cover, as a cover, or even better, shelving floor to ceiling to disguise the electrical panel.
    For lighting, please dont do DIY, that could be dangerous. Start with unexpensive ceiling light to improve the overall look (you can upgrade that later when budget allows), also consider mix of ceiling light and floor lamp for atmosphere.
    abby_798844938 agradeció a Sonsoles de Lacalle
  • abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Sonsoles de Lacalle

I don't have the skills nor time to do a reupholster :(

For the electrical cover I like the shelving idea. I'll check with the landlord if it's Ok for me to do that.

Thank you so much.

• nicole___
    hace 5 años

Your renting! I wouldn't spend money on a temporary situation. How long do you plan on living here? And....landlords will not want you to paint or wallpaper....or change anything that's attached to the property.

abby_798844938 agradeció a nicole___
  • Kate E
    hace 5 años

Agreed with Nicole! If you're renting - I think the area rug you bought and a light colored curtain that pulls color from the area rug are great. Then, add a couple throw pillows and maybe a small but soft and cozy blanket to drape over one of those sofas. I do think that room has too much furniture - if you could repurpose one of those sofas elsewhere in the house, I think it would make that room feel much more spacious.

abby_798844938 agradeció a Kate E
  • groveraxle
    hace 5 años

Abby, next time you go to buy furniture, do not buy three couches all the same. Maybe we can make this work with the right accessories. The rug you chose is a good start.

For curtains, can you relocate the curtain rod higher on the wall? It will require a little Spackle and paint, but it's easy enough to do. And when you buy curtains, either don't get the rod pocket-style header or if you do, plan to hang them with rings and clips. (See how the current curtains are all bunchy at the top? Not a good look.)

You need a media cabinet that's longer than your TV, as much longer as you can make it.

And then art. I would fill the wall opposite the TV with either big art, or a grouping of art. It will bring much needed life to this space.

• groveraxle
    hace 5 años

I just noticed your curtains in the dining area are too short. Curtains need to go just to the floor.

• pat1250
    hace 5 años
    Following
  • KK1000
    hace 5 años
    @ groveraxle. Love it you can come do my place anytime.
  • abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@nicole @kate It's rented by my employer. I'm planning stay for a maximum of 3 years, but I agree I don't want to spend too much on a temporary thing.

Thank you :)

• abby_798844938
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@groveraxle

I can't believe how simple changes can make it look so good! <3

Thank you so so so much for all the help.

I appreciate it.

• groveraxle
    hace 5 años

Abby, I'm making an assumption that you are in a foreign country for three years and don't quite know your way around yet. If you haven't ordered from Jollychic before, be careful. They have some really bad reviews--I mean a LOT of them--so wait until you get the rug before you order any more.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

Something wrong with both. I could not find this rug at Jollychic site.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.