Houzz Logo Print
roosteronafencepost

Room to the left of front door.

Can you tell us what is on the left side of the stairs in this picture? I am assuming the formal living, table, and kitchen are on the right side of this hallway with the addition of the library and sitting room to the right of the kitchen. It would be helpful to know as I have a center hall colonial we are renovating and am always searching pictures for layout and room size. Thank you very much.
Award Winning Stair Hall and Entry Foyer · Más información

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Clawson Architects, LLC
    hace 5 años

House is an "American four square".

• PRO
    Clawson Architects, LLC
    hace 5 años

From Wikipedia--" A typical design would be as follows: first floor, from front to back, on one side, the living room and dining room; while on the other side, the entry room or foyer, stairway and kitchen. Sometimes a bathroom was also included. Second floor, front to back, on one side, bedroom, bathroom and bedroom; while on the other side, bedroom, stairway and bedroom. The bedrooms had a slightly longer dimension along the front and back of the house with side-by-side closets between the bedrooms. This gave a very efficient layout, with a bedroom in each corner and a centralized bathroom and stairway. The top floor was generally just a big open space with one to four dormers. The basement generally contained a large natural convection furnace or boiler. "

• roosteronafencepost
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Yes. My house is similar but smaller scale. In my house, to the left of the front door, looking from the back of the hallway, is the dining room. Behind that is the kitchen. On the other side (right), looking from the back of the hallway, is the living room on the front and another "living room" to the back, straight across the hall from the kitchen. There is also an addition on the side of the back living room that has a bathroom on the back side. That is the only addition. My stairs are on the same side as this picture. Upstairs, there are two bedrooms on the stair side, then one bedroom on the front right (over living room), with a huge bathroom taking up the other bedroom at the back on the right. We are wanting to add on to this house for practical reasons. Where the stairs curve upstairs in this picture, there is the hallway space where the middle window is in this style of house. This is why I was curious as to what was on the other side of THIS hallway, the stair side, if the living room, kitchen, and addition was on the right side. Is it a formal dining room on the front, a bedroom in the back, laundry, etc? Just curious as to how everything fits in this house as it is similar to mine, at least from the pictures I can see. Did you add an addition to the back for the kitchen? A lot of colonials like mine have additional space added at the back hallway that opens into a larger living or kitchen area. We don't have that. We are thinking of adding on but can't figure out the best configuration for the layout of the property. (It is not flat). Thank you for answering. I DID read your blog so I will not ask you for the paint color. lol

• PRO
    Clawson Architects, LLC
    hace 5 años

Thanks. Architects are visual, problem solving professionals.

Your description is lovely but we have to see it. We also have liability...thus fees. I Highly recommend you search for an Architect. The money spent will be well worth the investment.

If you live in the New York City Metro area give us a call.

• roosteronafencepost
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, we do not live in your area.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.