Houzz Logo Print
davidweis

I am designing my future house

Dave Weis
hace 5 años

I'm working on designing a 3 bed 3.5 bath house. Investment focus is kitchen and living areas and master bath.

Comentarios (57)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

And don't design one of those corner pantries into the kitchen either.

• mimimomy
    hace 5 años

Mark, just slightly off topic here... do you think a pantry is "necessary" to a good home design? I have had two non-corner pantries (existing homes) and didn't find either particularly useful. I purposely did not have a pantry in a totally custom home build (even though it was definitely a trend at that point) because I didn't enjoy my previous pantry.

I just find them so overrated. I dislike that they eliminate so much counter space even in a relatively large kitchen, and find the storage in base cabinets sufficient. If I ever build again, I will probably do a base cabinet pantry because I do like their (apparent) functionality.

I think it's just me. I want to go with all under-counter refrigeration too. :) I like those UK kitchens with the under counter refrigeration.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Change in language of email subscription

Q

(4) comentarios
    Fixed it for you! For future reference, this setting is available to you if you go to your profile, click Edit Profile and then Advanced Settings. You can select which version of the newsletter you receive. Hope that helps!
    ...Ver más

Which House Design program for home computer ?

Q

(0) comentarios
    I am familiar with handling my old program (on a DVD !! ) which now turns out to be too old for my new laptop . Having purchased 1 (upper end) program which was meant to help me design several options of house plans I had to return/cancel it because of malfunctions. Having bought a 2nd (also upper end) program for the same purpose I am struggling with bad instructions + a lack of default choices + a lack of straightforward tabs/links. Can anyone recommend a program 1) which works well 2) which does not require a psychic for understanding instructions 3) which offers standard terminology for a European application (rather than in the USA) Grateful thanks.
    ...Ver más

roof top ideas

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi Marina ! I think you have a place that offers a lot of design opportunities. First of all, you would have to see the direction of the sun to locate the places of stay and plan the vegetation. The best thing is that you use vegetation that absorbs the rain and does not need great maintenance and irrigation to minimize the work due to the access it presents. I could help you make a 3d design if you wanted to visualize ideas for your terrace, I would be happy to assist you! Greetings and good day!
    ...Ver más

Need help with my room space design

Q

(6) comentarios
    hi GESTION ESTETICA If you click 'edit' on the page I sent, it displays the distance in centimeters when editing the room dimensions. The closets and furniture shown in image 1 are exactly how my room is, both in dimensions and placement, right now. I plan to remodel it later, like in the second image or a different one that's more organized, as I see fit or as you may suggest.
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

When you get done designing your investment focused future house, take it to a local architect and they will talk to you about process and feee structure, ask you a lot of questions, analyze your site, look at your design and throw it in the trashcan. Then in a couple of weeks they will call you to set up a meeting to review a design(s) that meet your needs and fits your site. You will review the design(s) discussing with them the things you like and pointing out the things you don't like. It helps to bring chocolate chip cookies with walnuts to the meeting. There will be a lot of sketching and talking about the design and the reasoning behind it. There will be a few meetings like this and each time the drawings will get more and more detailed. Eventually there will be a set of drawings ready to go out to bids for your new home. Now or at some point during your meetings with the architect you will discuss the scope of services you wish for the architect to preform. The architect may be involve with landscape design, interior design, bidding, contractor selection, project observation, project administration, or other services; but that is up to you to work out with them.

You may be better off just compiling a list of needs and a list of wants that you want in your home and discussing that in your first meeting with an architect.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

I think kitchens should be designed to accommodate the way the home owner cooks, with a little designed in for resale. There are some features in a lot of kitchens that reoccur, but a corner pantry in not one of them.

• worthy
    hace 5 años

There will be a lot of sketching and talking about the design and the
    reasoning behind it. There will be a few meetings like this and each
    time the drawings will get more and more detailed.

Or not.

I met my current architectural principal once, we spoke for 20 minutes, I wrote him a cheque, they sent me the plans, we met for another 20 minutes. A half dozen one paragraph emails. Done.

Markham Civic Centre, 1990, arch. Arthur Erickson with Richard Stevens Architects Limited

Our home's fate is now with the blessed and all knowing bureaucratic functionaries at city hall. (Behind the cleverly disguised deadly acid moat overlooked by battlements.)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Well . . . I guess not ALL architects work the same way. Did you bring the cookies?

• worthy
    hace 5 años

Their, ah, "gritty" entry (daylight only) makes you want to be packing more than cookies.

• dan1888
    hace 5 años

11" deep pantry shelves work in our kitchen. Nothing deeper unless its pull-out or has bins on the doors with 11" shelves inside. The large deep cabinet next to the frig isn't it.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 5 años

@mimimomy I preserve around 300 lbs of produce each year. A pantry is an absolute MUST for our family!

Your user name reminds me of my nickname for my son. His name is Milo and I call him My-mo-moo :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 5 años

Forget about cookies. Architects are artists, they need to have a drink first then go with the flow to create a beautiful plan....... add on a huge porch that’s big enough for a swing bed and 2 swing benches?

• mimimomy
    hace 5 años

lindsey, awesome on the produce preserving. I love that. Although mostly I just love to make jam :)

I would love to get back to canning tomatoes and peaches though. I miss that!

I like the idea of a pantry, but it has never really worked for me. I will have to build one in the next house I'm in. I really just want a huge butler's pantry, and the butler to go with :)

• doc5md
    hace 5 años

@summersrhythm "Forget about cookies. Architects are artists, they need to have a drink first then go with the flow to create a beautiful plan......."

I think my architect likes working with us a lot because I'm a brewer :) I always have samples available for meetings. :) :)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Cookies are for the meetings, drinks are for recovering from some of the meeting.

Maybe that's where the OP is.

• A Fox
    hace 5 años

Worthy, I once visited an architect that was located on the second floor of a late 19th century main street sort of building. To access their space you had to walk into the recess for the ground floor storefront turn right and open what anyone else would assume to be the access panel for the display window, then step up into the display window. The only hint that this was what you were supposed to do was their address in small size on the door. From there a narrow old staircase presented itself, in a space that looked like it hadn't been occupied in 20 years. At the top of the stair was one of those big vintage sliding fire doors beyond which was the usual modern loft-style architecture office. It was like entering a speakeasy. The firm loved it because no reps or anyone they weren't expecting ever bothered them.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Bet they had a back entry and elevator to get supplies and furnishings in and out...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

Since we are hearing nothing form the poster maybe we should just stop

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

I think this posting may get the annual award for Posting With the Least Amount of Usable Information. It's a strong candidate...

• Holly Stockley
    hace 5 años

When have we ever stopped just because the OP has left the building? Wouldn't that take the fun out of Houzz? To say nothing of inhibiting all the best discussions. Perhaps he will return with more info on the project. If not, we can continue to discuss the utility of pantries and the proper comestibles with which to bribe the species Archtectus resindetialis.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

"...bribe the species Archtectus resindetialis..."

Suddenly...the conversation became intereeesting...!

• BT
    hace 5 años

Just remember that this "Open Floorplan" concept still requires a floor above to be supported.

• shead
    hace 5 años

"Do not have a clothes closet directly accessible from a bathroom."

I see this said a LOT on Houzz but I LOVE having a closet accessible from my bathroom. DH and I both had separate closets accessible from our Master Bath and I am really bummed that in our upcoming remodel, only DH's closet will be accessible to the bath and mine won't. I really think that is more preference than a hard and fast design rule. Sorry to hijack the OP, but I'm curious as to why this is said so often by only a few of the same people.

• mimimomy
    hace 5 años

shead, I am with you on the closet. I can only imagine some people have had a bad experience with the closet in the master bath. We found it very convenient and never had any problems of any kind.

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    hace 5 años

I've designed kitchens for my clients and then they took their dream kitchen design to the architect. This way they got what was important to them and didn't have to worry about the obstacles designing a building creates.

My architect doesn't like this when I say, "I design around the customer not around the building."

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Is anyone taking wagers on if the OP reappears?

• hollybar
    hace 5 años

Yes and I was elected to hold the kitty. So send your money soonest.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 5 años

OP has gone to Christmas shopping.......I just want to say design the biggest kitchen you could afford can be dangerous. It sure feels better even making a sandwich or a bowl of soup with a bouillon cube in a bigger kitchen. But be aware of these factors:

bigger kitchen=more cooking activities=bigger sizes.

You don't see many skinny cooks out there, don't you? :-)

• lizziesma
    hace 5 años

Oh, but the delicious hours you'll have cleaning it when you do use it for more than microwaving popcorn, popping those winecorks, and washing up the crystal

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 5 años

I hate cooking in a big kitchen! 12x15 is just perfect for me :-)

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Sorry guys, this was an accidental post and I hadn't written everything I intended. I thought the discussion had been deleted (did it twice the other day) so I apologize!

Here are my rough drawings of the house. There are no dimensions, so the proportions are off, I was just trying to imagine the flow of the house and get an idea of everything i wanted. The entire back of the house is creek front so all living areas and master bed are looking out that direction. The entire lot is thick trees and completely private, about 2.25 acres at the end of a road. Planning on doing most of the house in 11' or 12' ceilings with the living area and foyer much taller.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 5 años

Yay, you came back! (My money was on yes ;-) )

A couple of thoughts, and I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously you need a professional on the ground but here are some observations:

-with a large lot, there is no need for the enormous garage to command all the attention at the front of the house.

-the kitchen is awkwardly big and bulky. Big kitchens are what they are, some people love them, but they still have to be efficient and they have to be logical. To elaborate:

Why jam a stovetop on an island and then have an unbroken expanse of counter that is the entire width of the room?

And if you want the stovetop on the island, why position it so the cook has their back to anyone seated at the table or island?

Why a prep sink in an island that has seating when it could easily go elsewhere?

The kitchen overall just needs a LOT of refining.

-how many people will live here? (I'm looking askance at the number of toilets compared to the amount of living area.)

-where is North? I know the views are to a creek but which cardinal direction is that? You want to take advantage of passive solar and natural light especially on a heavily wooded lot.

-the master bath should not be bigger than the bedroom itself. Whether you enjoy accessing your closet through the bath is totally personal; I would hate it. Why not swap that so you access the bathroom by walking through or past your closet, so you don't have to traipse all the way through the bathroom to put away laundry or grab a clean outfit?

I don't have wifi right now and can't see the plan well on my phone screen. There are other things to bring up but realistically your architect will guide you through that.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    hace 5 años

shead once again, we are on the same page! I LOVE my closet in the master bathroom. I can do all the things in the morning without waking DH, who gets up about 5 min before he leaves and we leave at the same time each morning lol

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

I avoid:

1. Closets where hanging clothes turn corners.
    2. Windowless walk-in closets.
    3. Kitchens with overly large work triangle.
    4. Large expanses of exterior wall without windows.
    5. Walk-in closets that will be difficult to walk into.
    6. Hallways less than four feet wide.
    7. Freestanding tubs that do not have sufficient space to clean around.
    8. Mechanical equipment in a garage.
    9. Clothes closets accessible from a bathroom.
    10. Pocket doors in spaces that need a door that are heavily used.
    11. Gas chambers
    12. Houses on creeks without a fly tying room.

It is a fairly good start I think, but you should take it to an architect to to work out details, size the spaces a little better, and develop the exterior.

Oh how I wish I had that pantry.

(I lost my bet)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Why have such tall ceilings?

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@lindsey,

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to respond in order and also a little more info, my wife and I both cook a lot, she being the true talent in the kitchen. Please remember, this drawing is more of the flow of the house, it doesn't represent the dimensions of everything. I am not an architect, I am trying to organize all my thoughts so I can work with an architect and structural engineer to make sure we get exactly everything we want. We cook and prep most meals together. We have a lot of kitchen tools and we are a house full of ingredients, not food. If that makes sense. This is why the pantry is incorporated into the kitchen, as is also a straight shot from the garage for unloading groceries.

1. the garage is the closest point to the road, we live in a heavy snow area and are planning on doing radiant tracks to the street from a radiant garage pad. Radiant is expensive so the shorter the better. We also have to consider ease of plowing and plowed snow storage for a season(illegal to push it into the streets) if we have any issues with the radiant drive, or cut it from the budget. The garage location has actually been a pretty big discussion and we have considered changing it, or mirroring the floor plan, and making a longer driveway. Although the drive is private and the house will not be visible from the street, we're not sure we want the garage to be the face of the house. Thank you for that.

2. This is a big kitchen because we are constantly in the kitchen together and we host guests often enough. We have lived together with small kitchen apartments as well larger and open kitchens and are trying to design a kitchen based on how we work together. Cooking is a big part of how we live together and it will also be a big part of how we raise a family.

a. The stove top is actually against a wall that goes to the ceiling. That wall separates kitchen from pantry. We'll most likely put more of a professional / commercial grade hood in that vents to the outside above that cook top. That is actually a U shaped counter that goes around a wall and into a pantry. The pantry counter (other side of the cooktop wall) will have things like coffee grinder & maker, microwave, toaster, food saver, large foil/parchment/seran dispensers.

b. The person on the stove top having their back to the room. This is a tough one and is something we also discussed and eventually shrugged at. We considered putting it on the outside wall, where the sink is, but that seemed like a worse place to have it. Those counters will be against windows and will be 36" deep vs traditional. It can't go on the island because well..vents. That leaves the wall the fridge is on, which also seems like a bad choice. It's not perfect, but we're pretty sure we spend more times prepping and at the sinks vs sitting in front of the cook top. Would you change it, knowing now that it isn't on an island but is against a wall and knowing that we must have great ventilation? Definitely open to ideas though, because maybe its worth reconsidering.

c. If it helps, our minimum requirement for the island is 4'x10' Max is a little under 5'x13'. The island will be spacious. We had considered the sink over by the fridge, but being able to do prep while facing guests seemed nice. It will also have a disposal in it. I think we prep more than stand with our eyes glued to the cook top. There is landing space for things to be pulled off the cook top, ease of dumping liquids from the cook top. There is also a landing space across from the double ovens. So, thats how the sink ended up there. With the explanation does that help or would you still move it somewhere else?

3. How many people live here: Currently, just two. The house is primarily designed to cater to ourselves and how we live. We both have in-laws that insist on private bathrooms. It is possible they would pay the difference, but no guarantee. The guest room baths could become a jack and jill. We also plan on having 1-2 kids in the next 5 years, so we are also considering an unfinished upstairs above the garage for additional office and guest space. Additionally this may be helpful, we live in a mountain resort town and would consider occasionally renting out our house. We would full time rent this house out before ever selling it (outside a catastrophe requiring it), so we plan on this being ours for a very long time. Every bedroom having a bath is luxurious - definitely. It is also desired by most of our family and people we know. No one has ever considered this design a negative to me before, outside of the $$ it takes. 3 bedrooms with 3 full bathrooms for 6 adults with a half bath powder room near the garage and kitchen doesn't seem outrageous at all to me. It also doesn't sound outrageous for 2 adults and for 2 children to have 3.5 baths either....Or am I a little crazy?

4. North is facing the creek.

5. We often have different time schedules, it's pretty nice to close a bathroom door, shower, and get dressed and ready for the day and then sneak out of the bedroom without waking a spouse. Also, the walk in closet shares a wall with the laundry room, so we can pass dirty and clean laundry through built ins. The kids and guests can walk to do laundry, but we won't.

Additionally, I guess I didn't intend for the master bedroom to be smaller than the master bath- the proportions are most likely off, but really the bath is where we spend all our time when we're in the master suite and not sleeping. We do not hang out in our bedrooms. We're making great living areas, so to us the master bedroom really just needs to have plenty of walking space around a king size bed, a great bathroom that we can both enjoy together (spacious 2 person shower, soaking tub) and a large closet where we can fold / hang / organize all our laundry.

Thanks so much for your detailed response, Lindsey!

I really appreciate it and your ideas!

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@lindsey "I suspect that yet another poster has fallen into the "Hi Poster, what are you working on?" Houzz trap.

Dave answers the question expecting that he is updating his profile status a la Facebook, adds the details when prompted (again supposing this is simply a profile update), hits Post, et voila! a beautifully non-specific design dilemma for us to chat on."

This is EXACTLY what happened. and then as soon as I got the first response I tried deleting it, saw success. Refreshed the page and received a page not found error. Then days later I see all these comments in my email! I'm sorry!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    hace 5 años

We often have different time schedules, it's pretty nice to close a bathroom door, shower, and get dressed and ready for the day and then sneak out of the bedroom without waking a spouse. Also, the walk in closet shares a wall with the laundry room, so we can pass dirty and clean laundry through built ins. The kids and guests can walk to do laundry, but we won't.

I love the connectivity of the mud/laundry/master bath!! I tried to do that in ours it just wouldn't fall right with the other things I wouldn't give up.

I'd make that pass thru a door though. Even a pocket door. Because, in my world there's always more than one basket of laundry. So... you'll be passing a load thru, walking around thru the bedroom, bathroom into the closet, putting things away, then walking back around to do it again. You're still doing the walking, just not with the basket in hand.

For some reason, I have an opposition to double sinks in a Master Bath. More plumbing, fixtures = extra cost; and WAY less counter space. You have the perfect reason to NOT have the extra sink, b/c you have often have different schedules. And if you happen to be at the sink at the same time, count it as quality time. :)

If it helps, our minimum requirement for the island is 4'x10' Max is a little under 5'x13'. The island will be spacious.

GO with that big ass island!! We did, best thing we ever did. So many people told me it would be too big. Nope!! We love it.

I'm a bit jealous of your co-cooking, it makes me smile. I typically have lots of "peanut gallery" while cooking but no partner. LOL it's ok, it works for us, but I always appreciate a couple that works together in the kitchen. That being said, get an actual KD, best money I spent.

Good luck!!

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Mark Bischak, Architect

Most of your couple posts are exactly what we are doing. I have a huge doc of the house and all the rooms and what is important to us in each. Many things in the kitchen and pantry are down to specific dimensions or minimums, with long lists of everything to be stored in the pantry and which items would live on the counter etc. I started with that doc and started patching together my own floor plan simply to help me visualize my ideas so I could try to explain them / the why to people with more clarity, as well as to help me prioritize wants. Housing is very expensive here and there is going to be a lot of compromise and I know a lot of things will change.

We are under pre-construction contract with a local contractor and have a local architecture and structural engineer firm to work with. We are early in that process and we are hoping to make it a collaborative process between the 3 of us.

As we are preparing to start communicating ideas to the real team I thought it would be great for me to start practicing here while getting new ideas and thoughts. We really want to nail it for our long term future and happiness with the house, as well as for the fantastic land we have and I know it definitely takes a lot of effort from a lot of folks.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

What is "couple posts"? What is "doc"?

Is the "architecture and structural engineer firm" more of an architectural firm or an engineering firm? Other than drafting your plan, is there anything else they are doing for you? Have you asked the architect what process they like to follow in designing a home with their client? Have you ever taken a baloney sandwich to a banquette?

What area are you in that gets a lot of snow?

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Lori Wagerman_Walker,

Thanks for the thoughts! I kept trying to think of a clever way for a dirty laundry hamper to exist in the wall between the laundry room, but maybe it's just a double door cabinet face with a shelf that could hold 2 laundry baskets stacked ontop of eachother or something to make the pass through easy by stacking all the loads or something. I see what you're talking about for sure.

The double sink thing is funny! I would have thought that too but we have had double sinks and single sinks. I think it's because we often coordinate showers to catch up with each other on days that we both work from home, so we end up using the sink at the same time. We previously had a 7' counter with double sinks and I feel like we loved maintaining our own sinks..and we both have our stuff that ends up spending more time on the counter than it should..and not to point fingers...but her stuff spills into my stuff.. :-) Not a serious complaint as it seems like everything has a place and I don't mind the organized clutter as the counter still stays "clean" somehow, she just needs more space for her sprawl of things she uses most days. I don't mind catering to her to make sure we both have the space we want day to day. Aka she loves 5-6' of counter i've found...I'm good with 2' in the corner and an outlet.

Thanks for the support with the island! I remodeled a house previously and this was definitely a battle, I did 10' which was as long as I could go but it was just shy of 4' wide and I had always wished i'd gone 4.5' or so after it was installed in a big open room.

The co cooking thing really has been great, getting together and cooking nice food really fostered our relationship and its something we both really value. It also complicates things because a lot of architects and builders do not cook like we do as a team, or sometimes do not understand how a good chef like my wife actually uses a kitchen or pantry - that we really do have 5 different types of flour in our tiny apartment kitchen currently. I think you're correct on getting a good kitchen designer.

Thanks again!

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@mark - Tall ceilings, honestly, because we both like them and 10' seems to be the min we see here locally, with a lot of them at 11'. Lots of vaulted ceiling living areas here as well, which is what we plan. We plan on doing concrete floors with radiant heat throughout the house and propane inserts as secondary heat.

Also, thank for your list of avoiding! Natural light in the walk in closet sounds great.

Why no mechanical room in the garage? With radiant floor water heaters, valves etc, hot water heaters (depending on potential on demand), water softeners, as well as all home automation and networking it seems like a size-able space easily accessible to service workers and myself.

I'm hoping for a fly tying station in the garage! We plan on having radiant there too so it can be a functional shop even in the winter. :-)

Thanks for your time and thought on my project!

• shead
    hace 5 años

@Lori Wagerman_Walker,

Great minds think alike ;) DH gets up about an hour before me so him being able to shower and dress without re-entering the bedroom is the key to our healthy marriage.

And I love a big a$$ island as well. Our last one was 4.5 x 10ish with no sink, etc. I loved it. As for the guest bathroom, I'd make the entrance from the hallway instead of the laundry room because I wouldn't want guests to see my mess all the time ;)

As for ceiling height, I think 10' would be the max I'd do in bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. 11 or 12 ft would be TALL.

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@shead,

Thanks for the note! Our last island was a granite slab right under 4' and 10' long. No sink and it was great, but we wanted it wider in the end. This one will probably be bigger and we hope with that size having a sink in it will look great and natural, and not take away from any sort of seating or visiting space.

Thanks for the thoughts on the powder room entry! We may go that direction. We are planning on front loading washer and dryer with a counter on top of them - all behind cabinet doors to try to hide any sort of laundry disaster that may be happening when company arrives. Sounds like it could be easier to leave the mess and change the entry. :-) Not that many more steps from the garage.

Our old house was made in the 70's and had 8' ceilings. Every house built in the last 10 yrs we have walked through in this area seem have 10' ceilings as pretty standard, and 11' seems pretty common too, so we just want to be at standard or a little better so we'd probably aim at the 11', but it depends on the $$ differences in the end. We both love tall ceilings. Vaulted ceilings in the living space, or even higher flat ceilings in modern homes are also very common here.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@mark:

Sorry, posts as in..a couple of your comments are exactly what we're doing. :-)

A doc is a Microsoft Word document, or in my world it is a Google document. A sharable & collaborative digital document of notes where people can add or edit as a group.

My cousin is a licensed architect and I have been picking his brain and he definitely has neat ideas and has been very helpful, but we still decided to hire someone local that our contractor has experience working with, after walking through houses they had designed and built together.

My notes and initial design have been shared with the firm as well as my contractor. This process really just started today. They are going to physically go to our lot along with the contractor, read my notes and look design, and are then going to provide an initial floor plan based on all the things provided / environment / passive solar etc and the 3 of us will collaborate and iterate. We also have hired a land surveying & engineering firm for help with our building site.

We decided on our builder before moving forward with an architect, outside of the family advice i am receiving for free. My wife and I are new to this (outside of a main floor gut and remodel in a previous home) and I really appreciate your thoughts and time.

We live in Driggs, Idaho - about 20 minutes from Grand Targhee Ski Resort and about 45 minutes from Jackson Hole. Our first snow storms started in early October.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

Sound like you are on a good path.

I have fished the Snake River South Fork, visited Scott Christensen's studio in Victor, and ran into some snow in September a few years ago. There are some architectural firms in that general area that do very nice work. Good luck with the project. Hope to see some more drawings as it progresses (if the architect is game and brave).

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    hace 5 años

Ha!! I wouldn't know what to do with more than 2 kinds of flour!! But I love my kitchen & big ass island. It is 5x8', so not really even as big as you're talking, but I love it. I can't reach the center, but I've been a short girl my whole life, I clean it with a Swiffer. :)

my solution to this: and we both have our stuff that ends up spending more time on the counter than it should..and not to point fingers...but her stuff spills into my stuff.. :-) Not a serious complaint as it seems like everything has a place and I don't mind the organized clutter as the counter still stays "clean" somehow, she just needs more space for her sprawl of things she uses most days. I don't mind catering to her to make sure we both have the space we want day to day. Aka she loves 5-6' of counter i've found...I'm good with 2' in the corner and an outlet.

Was this:

Our Field of Dreams · Más información

Our Field of Dreams · Más información

Yes, that's an appliance garage in the corner of my bathroom cabinets. Our GC thought this was the kitchen when I first showed it to him. My overflow comes out on the counter and gets shoved behind the magic door when I'm done. And exactly as you said, the right side of the sink is my hubby's. He has a cabinet and a drawer. :)

• Dave Weis
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Lori! So funny, thats exactly what I said when I opened the picture! "Is that an appliance garage in the bathroom?". Pretty clever and definitely keeps all your hardware out of sight but readily available. Maybe I can drop off an extra sink and budget her more storage and counter space. Thanks for the thoughts and pics!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    hace 5 años

I'm telling ya, one of the best things I did. I'd be afraid to post a picture of what the INside of the appliance garage looks like, but at least it's not on the counter!!

I REALLY wish I'd managed on in my daughter's bathroom... holy H*ll she's got crap everywhere!!!!

• A Fox
    hace 5 años

A couple thoughts on tall ceilings: for any of the rooms that are not a bathroom, closet, etc, I would not make the ceiling any taller than the width (narrow side) of the room. Any taller than that and rooms start feeling uncomfortably tall like being in a silo or elevator shaft. Also if the ceilings are going to be tall, then the windows should be proportionally tall or high, so that the top of the room isn't lost in dark shadow. For most modest sized rooms like bedrooms, 10' is probably plenty tall. In very small rooms like powder rooms, you might even consider a lower false ceiling to avoid the silo effect.

The living room could probably handle a higher ceiling, but keep in mind some of the drawbacks to very high ceilings: you have to get up their to clean...changing light bulbs is not so much of an issue now that LEDs have taken over, in cold climates (did I miss where you are located) and all of your heat will accumulate up at the ceiling first where no once can enjoy it in the winter. But really it's all design specific and what looks right in the space. I wouldn't lock yourself into needing a particular ceiling height without knowing what it will look like both inside and out.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

My late husband had a technique that worked quite well with our DD when she was a teen. When the room/bath started looking like a tsunami had hit it, DH would take a big plastic clothes basket and gather up EVERYTHING that wasn't properly put away. Of course, DD then was screaming, "Where's my ???!" and DH would tell her she had to buy back everything in that basket. The first time it happened, it was 10 cents an item. Each time it happened, the price went up. When it finally reached $1 an item, DD got the idea and her messy ways stopped. She's now 46 1/2 and she is a neatnik. It worked!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.