Houzz Logo Print
akiiki_kunihira

Curb appeal: landscape and exterior color

Kate M
hace 5 años

we would love to have some color and depth in the landscaping but maybe lao update the look of this 60s ranch split level. The interior is styles in a contemporary/modern style.

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

I would go with white color and charcoal trim for windows.

• chiflipper
    hace 5 años

Pretty, pretty PLEASE remove the awful "shudders".

http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Minimalist, low water landscaping would be very appropriate for you home. Low water does not mean "no water", you'll still need an irrigation system. The selection of plants, their placement, and the watering system should be planned together. Look at lots of photos of similar homes for color combo suggestions. I'd opt for a medium-grey body and perhaps wider white window trim. Bring in color with the plantings. Nice house.

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    hace 5 años

I would consider taking the look towards a mid-century modern (MCM) look which would be very compatible with your modern interiors. MCM is hot and will remain hot. You can Use a medium grey on the house and accent with color on the front doors. Ditch the shutters, please.

This is an example of Grey body, dark grey trim and turquoise door.

ALSO: the door was flat, added the trim to give it the look of a $4K new door. This would look great on your double doors.

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    Your current “landscape” is essentially all one color, all one shape, and all one height. All boring. I would replace them with an assortment of (fewer) plants which will be allowed to grow naturally into their own shapes, and which will have different leaf colors, different mature heights and different leaf forms. A tree placed off-center in the yard could be a starting point. Some shrubs with seasonal flowers would also be nice. Native or zone-friendly plants are the best choices for success. Leave enough space between them to allow them to reach their mature width, and add a few large rocks or small boulders for interest. Pay attention to the tags on the plants and space them generously. Be careful not to plant a wide/tall shrub or bush in front of a window because it will eventually block the light or view. If you live in a low-rainfall area, install irrigation lines.
    It’s a lot of work to remove the old plantings, so if any of them are worth saving, do so, but leave enough space around them to allow them to grow naturally.
  • felizlady
    hace 5 años
    Somehow my response ended up under the wrong post! That’s weird. It was meant for the person looking for landscape ideas for their overgrown front yard.
  • emmarene9
    hace 5 años

I suggest posting in the Landscape Design Forum. Most of your improvement will be there.

I like the no mow yard you have but would change the area around the entrance. The plants are crowding the stairs.

I would paint the doors white. Remove the shutters and upgrade the lighting.

You could do something interesting with the wall to the right of the entrance.

Is it time to repaint?

• silviakunst
    hace 5 años
    You have room on the right side of the front door for a flowering tree ...in a grand pot or dug into the ground ...that would make it more interesting . And add some flowers within your shrubs ...or exchange some shrubs for flowering shrubs ..
    .. . Unless it needs painting ..paint it white and be happy with your lovely house ..! Looks good as is ...also !
  • felizlady
    hace 5 años
    Would you start your new landscape by taking out the skinny tall palm?
  • groveraxle
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

When did it become a rule that every house had to have shutters? Is this a result of climate change? Is it now an actual law?

I would paint fascia and gutters the same color as the house, paint windows black, and spring for modern house numbers and a modern door. I'd hire a landscape architect for the rest.

ETA: In case I didn't make the point, the shutters have to go.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.