Houzz Logo Print
emma_batty

How to make my living room more homely

Emma Batty
hace 5 años
We are currently living in a rented flat and I’m still not happy with our living room, we’re able to paint but I’m not sure what colour would work best. I feel like the walls are very bare but I don’t know how to make it more homely. Also we don’t have a dining room so we have our dining table in the living room and i feel as if it doesn’t fit in with the rest of the room. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comentarios (14)

• Carole Menzies
    hace 5 años
    Colour and texture will warm up the room. Pictures, cushions , rugs and accessories will help. You don’t
    need a lot ..a few changes will make a huge difference. Don’t try to ‘ match’ things use what you like as that will make the room feel like it’s yours! Added a couple of pictures from 2 of the houses I’ve lived in...
  • Pat Auld
    hace 5 años
    I would suggest a nice rug, some striking cushions (large 50 x 50), some green plants and I would move the multi frame to a small wall somewhere else and put up a large artwork or alternatively create a picture gallery. If you’re allowed to paint the walls then I would. My personal preference is white walls but I’m sure others will have lots of different colour choices.
    Post some pics when you’ve made some changes
  • Pat Auld
    hace 5 años
    H&M do large reasonably priced cushions
  • E D
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

It looks like a nice room.

Can you perhaps share some more photos so people here will get a better idea of the entire room?

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

It would be great to see a plan of the whole room, but I agree as above, move the table to the bay, face the T.V to the fireplace and put the t.v in one of the alcoves.

I'm guessing that the sofa might be where it is as it's too big to fit anywhere else? Maybe it can spin round? The mirror is a little undersized for the fireplace, but you could get another storage cube to match the other side. In an ideal world, i'd go for something that fills the spaces.

• Emma Batty
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you so much for all your ideas. It really helps for someone who’s not seen the room to have a look. I’ll put some more photos of the room later as well as the floor plan
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

I would recommend a table and more wall art, Throw down a rug under the table

• PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    hace 5 años

It looks like it's a really nice size and shape room, if you are able to send a better photo of the whole room that would be great.

I agree with Man About The House's design, if you could fit some extra storage the other side of the fire place to balance the room and move your table to where you lovely window and sofa to the long wall i think that would work nicely. Bold pictures above the storage units by the fireplace and paint the wall where the sofa is being relocated will make the room feel more like home.

• Emma Batty
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Here are some more photos of the room ;
  • PRO
    Painthouse
    hace 5 años

How brilliant that you're able to paint it! It will transform that room. A blue would provide a good contrast to the carpet, fireplace marble and your sofas - but one with a bit of warmth in it would keep it homely. How about Helene https://painthouse.co.uk/shop/fresh/helene/?id=28 or Kasper? https://painthouse.co.uk/shop/fresh/kasper/?id=36 

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

I'd definitely try turning the sofa toward the Fireplace and although i don't think you'll fit the table and chairs in the bay, I think it will look fine opposite the entrance door.

Then your focal point is the fireplace and T.V.

• PRO
    Opun
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Hi Emma,

Don't worry about matching items. Your home should feel like an extension of yourself. So, liven the space up with throws, cushions, pictures that make you feel at home. Add some texture and warmth to the space and use the fireplace as the centre-piece of the room.

Opun - Your Home Improvement Experts

• Hazel M
    hace 5 años
    I’d suggest get rid of the magnolia paint maybe a nice grey like F&B ammonite. Best to keep neutral in a rented flat don’t want the have to paint back when you move on.

Cosy high pile rug and some large pictures. Get rid of the mirror. Accessorise with cusions. Also suggest changing table and chairs to fold away one from ikea so your eye not drawn to it so much
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.