Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

using LVT on a sink unit??

Tani H-S
hace 5 años
Posted up a question yesterday trying to find alternative American walnut effect tiles for my WC wall and sink shelf unit as when u went to order them, the supplier said they are now discontinued :0(

Spent hours searching for alternatives but only drab brown english walnuts available for some reason.

So, I thought that instead I could use LVT on the WC wall (as not a splash area as such) as they are wipeable anyway. But I was matching the sink unit with it so I’m wondering if I can use LVT on the sink unit as well??

The base is made from a plywood and was intended to be tiled. It needs to be waterproof as likely to get standing water on it from splashes (OH never thinks to wipe it down!)

Anyone used LVT for this purpose??

Alternative would be to LVT the front edge (it’s about 100mm high x 1.1m wide) and tile the top with the wall tile. ...

Comentarios (20)

• minnie101
    hace 5 años

Hi Tani. I don't think it would be suitable for the sink unit from a water perspective and not sure how you would finish any edges? Could you not consider a dark oak? I've only looked for 2 seconds but here's one example against your floor

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hello,

The trouble with oak is that is generally just a brown tone and I wanted the slight orange walnut tone to warm up the dark grey tiles I’m going for. Ha ha.
    I’ve looked everwhere and would consider an alternative wood if it was a warm tone and had some nice markings in it. Most wood effect tiles are not that interesting to look at :0/
  • minnie101
    hace 5 años

I must admit I'm s wingman some orange and a lot of warmth in those tiles :) Here's an American walnut

https://www.marazzitile.co.uk/collections/treverkchic/

• minnie101
    hace 5 años

Seeing not wingman, where did that come from?!

• Emily
    hace 5 años
    Minnie when I get a weird auto correct I sometimes look at the keypad to see how the word mix up happened and I can’t for the life of me find it! Some seem so random. But at least they make us smile :)
    Hope you’ve found your solution Tani
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I saw those tiles @Minnie. But can’t see them to actually buy! LOL. It’s a catalogue but no purchase link :0(
  • kikiamack
    hace 5 años
    Have you seen this tile from Topps in real life? Looks like it has warm tones in. They also have a Capuccino wood tile you could look at. Porcelanosa wood tiles look good but I think very expensive.
    https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod44665/treverk-castagno-15x120-tile.html
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I might have seenthem in the store a while ago but ignored them due to the cost, LOL. Tops tiles are so expensive these days. I don’t understand it
  • Jonathan
    hace 5 años
    As long as you can get around the highlighted issue with edges I think this will be fine and no different from someone putting tongue and groove in their bathroom. There is also an argument that when you use the same colour on walls and floor you trick your eye into thinking the space is larger.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

Might help - why not try Bushboard Nunace - designed for shower rooms - sadly no walnut - got ebony oak ? have a look at the range - Nauance colours - I feel you need to make sure you have a product that is designed for the space - I have used it looks good! -

• Victoria
    hace 5 años

Cherry?

https://www.tiles-direct.com/floor-tiles-c27/jungle-lux-tiles-c804/jungle-lux-cherry-20cm-x-120cm-wall-floor-tile-p1398

I have these tiles in a different colour way and love the glossy finish. It‘s oddly very forgiving.

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The cherry ones are really beautiful. Shame they are double my budget, eek. If I get stuck though they could be a backup as the colour is lovely. Thank you.
  • kikiamack
    hace 5 años
    Another suggestion for you......adhesive vinyl roll! Specifically, that made by DC Fix. We used a textured metallic finish inside a kitchen cabinet as part of it’s transformation into a bar cabinet. I found it easy to use and very forgiving for repositioning etc. We bought ours from vinyl warehouse but lots of places sell it. If you check out the DC Fix website they have it on bathroom sinks, kitchen cabinets, worktops etc. I’m not sure if they have different levels of quality but I’m sure you could check easily. I just scrubbed an off-cut of ours with the rough side of a bathroom sponge and it didn’t scuff it. Might be worth buying a small piece to play around with and see what you think.
    https://www.vinylwarehouse.co.uk/woodgrains-85-c.asp
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @Thinkdoors - ah thank you. Yes I did look at that for my shower wall originally but no nice rich wood effects unfortunately
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @kikiamac yes that had crossed my mind as well! Probably easier than a veneer to remove.
    I was thinking about getting some for an old dressing table I’m renovating for our new bedroom as painted top - even with varnish, is never that durable. Just trying to find a nice pattern/finish.
    I did an old utility sink area in a white marble and it was brilliant stuff
  • Victoria
    hace 5 años

TanI, I got mine from here, I was buying a large quantity, but price was much less. Not sure if they can still get them..

http://www.cafceramics.co.uk

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    Have u looked at this company Minoli https://www.minoli.co.uk/tiles/tree-soul-brown/. They have some good porcelain wood effect tiles - hope this helps
  • Laura Thomas
    hace 5 años
    I would say it’s not suitable. My parents decided to use amtico for worktops in their kitchen over 20 years ago (they edged with wood). It has been fine everywhere, but around the sink where the water has caused the surface to break apart.
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

bumping as going to add a photo from my phone but can never find the threads on it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.