Houzz Logo Print
b34n

Renovating Builder Grade Fireplace

Mark Bean
hace 5 años

The time has come to remodel our family room and the first thing we need to improve is the builder grade masonry fireplace. Our goal is to create a single main focal point of the fireplace wall, instead of our current setup which has a second focal point of the TV mounted on an adjoining wall.

Objectives:
Fix/replace cracked hearth
Reduce draftiness
Install TV above mantle at a comfortable height

Current Plan:
Totally renovate, hearth, surrounds and mantel
Install a gas insert

Our understanding is that if we move to a gas insert that we could potentially lower the mantel height by as much as 20" from where it is today. We probably wouldn't go that far, but a lower height will certainly help with the TV viewing angle.

Our thought is that just lowering a mantle would look really weird. While we cannot (easily) lower the fireplace opening since it's masonry, we thought that replacing the raised hearth with one level to the floor would help keep proportions for the mantle in better balance. This would leave us with a fireplace "floating" 11" above the floor. From photos we've seen, we feel we can design the surrounds and mantle in a way where if wouldn't look weird. Our hope is that the underneath the raised hearth is masonry. I don't know if it needs to remain for structural reasons.

Are there some other factors that we need to consider? Have any of you done or seen a similar renovation?

Some measurements:
Fireplace front opening width: 41 3/4”
Fireplace front opening height: 33”
Width at the back of fireplace: 21 1/2”
Fireplace depth: 20-1/4”
Width of hearth: 68”
Height of hearth extension: 11"
Depth of hearth extension: 19-1/2”

We are doing a full redo of the family room. We'll be removing a half wall and adding built-ins. Cost is an issue but saving up enough and doing it "right" is more important.

Thank you,

B34N

Comentarios (7)

• Mark Bean
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for the reply.

Sammy, yes, we are open to suggestions, that's why I'm asking.

The thought of removing the raised hearth is that if we move to a gas insert, the upper clearance can be lowered significantly (as much as 20" due to smaller fire box and lower requirements for gas inserts). If we just lowered the mantel, the thought is that it would look weird. To avoid having a short/low mantle, my thought, not a decorators, is that if the mantle went all the way down to the floor that it would retain basically the same proportions. I'm just thinking out loud. One of our main goals is to lower the mantle by 12" or more. That would allow for a more 'natural" viewing angle of the TV.

B34N

• groveraxle
    hace 5 años

You have nothing in your ideabooks. I suggest you start a fireplace ideabook to save those fireplaces that meet your criteria. If you're thinking of keeping the hearth, getting a smaller firebox, and then using a mantel similar to the current one, it's going to look odd.

I would suggest lowering the hearth, then going without a mantel, something like this:

Midvale Courtyard House · Más información

• groveraxle
    hace 5 años

Or this:

Presidio Hieghts Residence · Más información

• PRO
    Vancouver Gas Fireplaces
    hace 5 años

Go to your local fireplace retailer before you start designing something you can't do. Fireplaces need specific clearances to combustibles.

• mimimomy
    hace 5 años

Are you really sure you want a t.v. over the fireplace? We did once. Didn't like it at all. TVs are not really focal points, except when they are on. Finally ended up putting it on a credenza to the side instead.

It's of course your preference, but before you do any demoing (I agree with others room for improvement on the fireplace--- simplification of trim would be my first choice) I would recommend actually putting your t.v. over your fireplace for a couple months and seeing whether you really like it there.

Just my 2 cents... would not have believed this myself 12 years ago :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

IMO the 2 focal points are a much better way to handle the TV your mantel is too high for a TV mounted above it and you would need to have the mantel to protect the TV To gain TV spot above the fireplace you would need to rip out all that you have and make a linear firebox and the TV would still not be in the proper viewing height which is center at eye level when you are seated.Where are plannning the buitins because honestly that would be a much better place for the TV.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.