Houzz Logo Print
sslouie02

Bad tile job...can it be fixed?

Sarah
hace 5 años

There are so many issues with our new marble backsplash install. Can it be fixed or will it have to be pulled out and done again?

Comentarios (10)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 5 años

Is the wall flat? If an uneven wall surface is causing the lippage, replacing the tile won't correct the problem.

• Sarah
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes it is flat. There was no backsplash there previously.
  • wiscokid
    hace 5 años
    Where did the tiles come from?
  • PRO
    Hamtil Construction, LLC
    hace 5 años

To me, it looks like it would need to be removed and re-done to really get it correct. Sometimes lighter grout (white) would hide imperfections more than a darker/ contrasting color, but it would not really be worth the energy to re-grout it (In my opinion). Although, it's an option to try re-grouting lighter, but don't expect too much. If the tile came out of the box with edges chipped, or surface warped, you may have a warranty claim. You would have to contact the manufacturer if that is the case. Did you DIY this, or hire someone?

• Sarah
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Unfortunately we paid our usual handyman and assumed he could do it because all other work has been done well. While there are a few noticeable chips, there are so many edges that appear chipped but really I'm pretty sure it is grout left on tile. I checked all boxes for chips so I'm also wondering if maybe he used a metal tool to grout? Obviously I really regret not watching along the way and noticing it was crooked before he grouted. I did see it but I didn't notice the variation in depth against the wall or in spacing.
  • Sarah
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    How much would a project like this typically run? We paid $325 for tiles and materials and $420 for install. It is 25 sq ft. Curious so if we redo I know what to expect for a proper tile install.
  • Sarah
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Also, could we grout over the existing grout adding another layer? Since it is very shallow grout, not sure if that could help?
  • PRO
    Hamtil Construction, LLC
    hace 5 años

Sarah- I was going to suggest discussing the issue with your tile installer, and explaining that you will not accept the product. Some people use payment as recourse.

Normally, the grouting is done with a rubber or plastic float, then sponged down. It would be unusual for any metal tools to be used. It really looks like it was cut, perhaps to try and correct something for straightness? It's plausible a metal tool was used to try to scrape down uneven grout after it was dry.

In any case, if you leave it as is, you may want to place a bead of clear silicone at the countertop so it is a bit more watertight.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.