Houzz Logo Print
wendiwho

Need advice on countertop seam disaster

wendiwho
hace 5 años

We worked with a designer to selected a countertop material, and she suggested rainforest green marble (really serpentine) as a good choice to go with our to-be-refinished dark cabinets. Given that we have a large kitchen, we knew that there would be some seaming, and that it would not be "perfect" due to the variation in the product, but we were assured that the fabricators were very sensitive and aware of the veining in the product, had worked with it before, and that matching the veins was one of their high priorities.

We picked the slab, hired the fabricators, and prepared to be thrilled with the results. For the most part, they are what we expected, and we can see that it will be a good match once the cabinets are in and the floor is replaced.

Except for one flaw. The fabricator chose to place a seam next to a bright white vein that runs perpendicular to the wall, and the next "panel" includes white veins that run parallel to the wall. And this seam is right above the dishwasher, in one of the most used parts of the kitchen. What were they thinking?

Has anyone else had experience with bad seaming in their kitchen? If so, what did you do? Am I over-reacting? Do I have any choice other than "shut up and put up?" I've included a photo that shows the overall kitchen--definitely under construction, the floors, backsplash, and trim will change, and the cabinet doors are out for refinishing--and the detail of the problematic seam. I appreciate your input.

Comentarios (22)

• Cyndy
    hace 5 años

Were you there at templating? If I have learned anything on here it is that you should approve not only of the location of the seams, but also the template of the counter on the actual stone before they start cutting. Seems like you might have needed another slab to avoid the change in direction?

wendiwho agradeció a Cyndy
  • wendiwho
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you Cyndy. We were not there at templating, although we were sent a picture of how the peninsula would be laid out, showing a seam that was NOT in the middle of the counter (simply an extension of the line of the peninsula to the wall.) We did have two slabs, and there is quite a bit remaining. Even the owner of the fabrication business came and wondered aloud why his fabricator had extended it to include the large white vein. But he said, he really didn't think anything could be done.

I've looked at other Houzz posts about bad seaming, and perhaps this is not the worst. But it is the one time in my life that I will be able to remodel a kitchen, and I feel so sad. I really wonder what others have done is such circumstances.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    hace 5 años

I am a fabricator. When seaming a job with stone that has a lot of movement it's often (even usually) unavoidable that the grain transition at one seam is poor unless an entire extra slab is used and even then it not a certain solution. Is there a seam at the inside corner between the peninsula and the long run along the wall?

wendiwho agradeció a Granite City Services
  • wendiwho
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi oldryder. This is the only seam. There is not a seam where the template originally indicated that there would be one, and we did purchase two slabs to be sure there would be enough stone. (There is plenty left over.) Is it possible to replace a portion of stone once it has been installed, or will that simply make things worse?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    hace 5 años

The peninsula is an "L" shaped piece. This was obviously done to eliminate a 2nd seam which otherwise would've been required due to the length of the run along the wall. The fabricator had to match the left end of the piece with the cutout to the end of the short leg of the "L" which didn't give him much for options. He likely did the best he could given the constraints and the desire to avoid the 2nd seam. I likely would've done the same.

• 2ManyDiversions
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Huh. I looked at a serpentine and thought I could live with a serious transitional seam... but it seems that perhaps, and I could be totally wrong, instead of the seams running opposite of each other offcenter to your DW, they might have done a diagonal seam at the corner... although then you'd have had a larger seam. And that gorgeous area at the corner would be disrupted. We were told we'd need 2-3 slabs with a serpentine.

Following, and hoping other fabricators will also add their two cents worth.

wendiwho, Off Topic, but are you thus far happy with your serpentine? Do you expect it to show wear? I cook a lot... A Lot. I wanted granite or quartzite instead but fell in love a serpentine and was gently warned away as they said it would show wear quickly. I'm not easy on countertops. We'd wanted leathered too, which I felt would help hide scratches, etc. but were told not so with serpentine.

ETA: Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I love the white veining : ) Love it all : )

wendiwho agradeció a 2ManyDiversions
  • jellytoast
    hace 5 años

"There is not a seam where the template originally indicated that there would be one."

Why not?

• Hillside House
    hace 5 años

The fact that there is not a seam where you authorized one (via the template map) I think gives you some leeway. Now, what are you going to do with it?

Option 1: Buy a third slab, so that all veining runs the same way. Not everyone like this, because the veins will run the depth of the counteralong your sink wall, and the length on your peninsula.

Option 2: Hold them to their original template design. They can reuse the L piece, trimming it down to move the seam into the corner, but may have to buy another stone to fabricate the sink counter. You may be able to get them to reorient the sink counter so that the veins run lengthwise, since they are redoing it anyway. Upside is that you can probably get away with them eating the cost, downside is that the coloring may be different than the two slabs you have, depending on when you bought them.

Option 3: Use this to negotiate a discount, then try to ignore the seam for the next 10-25 years.

Personally, I think that I would have a hard time ignoring it... it's partially over the dishwasher, so it's not like you can throw a cutting board over the top. Even if it was 4" over, so it lined up with the edge of the dishwasher, it would look better. I would start with Option 2, and be prepared to go to Option 1 if they really didn't budge.

wendiwho agradeció a Hillside House
  • wilson853
    hace 5 años

I don't think that you are overreacting. Everything I have read about seams in stone and quartz products indicates that you should avoid a seam over a DW because of support issues. They should have cleared that transition with you and/or your designer before cutting your expensive stone. I have a similar 'L' except my sink is flanked by two DWs. We did a Euro/French miter in the corner with a second seam behind my farm sink. Neither seam is noticeable. I would press them on this. You will be looking at that for a very long time.

wendiwho agradeció a wilson853
  • lisadlu16
    hace 5 años

No. Seam in corner as originally agreed upon was the way to go and if they found later it couldn't be done they should have called you. It looks so jarring to change pattern directions so abruptly. No, make them fix it or give you a huge discount to accept it.

wendiwho agradeció a lisadlu16
  • shead
    hace 5 años

In my understanding, seams over a DW are a huge no, no. My MIL had one at her old house and had a terrible time with it. I would definitely be unhappy with both the seam placement and veining direction.

wendiwho agradeció a shead
  • rantontoo
    hace 5 años

Did you buy slabs and pay the fabricator separately? How much of the second slab was left?

I am not sure how oldryder prices; but in my part of the country, fabricators lump stone and fabrication together so even though a person is told that they are only being quoted for the stone that is used there is no way to verify that. I selected slabs from a stone supplier, paid for those slabs to be leathered, paid for the shipping to the fabricator and had only an 18”x60” inch piece cut from the second slab. There were so many people that wanted the rest of the second slab even before my counters were installed. I was told that the remaining stone did not belong to me since I was only charged for the stone used; and I argued that I expected the second slab to be uncut until my job was completed since there was no way to match my slabs in something went wrong. My point is that your remaining stone may already be gone.

Do you have a copy of your template? At least we could see how the grain was supposed to be layed out on the template you saw...may give you more ammunition. I would not be happy with what you got, and I suspect it may be due to “saving” stone.

• wendiwho
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hillside House, thank you for the comments and suggestions. We're meeting with the fabrication company tomorrow, and I will discuss options with them. You've given me something to go with.

oldryder, we were told that the fabricator's focus would be matching up the veining, and that for that reason we had to have two slabs. There's really quite a bit left, and when we look at the counter that's there it's clear that simply by turning the long piece with the sink 180 degrees the colors and vein directions would have matched better. I think that he simply didn't pay enough attention.

2ManyDiversions, I would love to tell you that the serpentine is fine for cooking, and so far so good, but it's only been a week. I also cook a lot (that's what's a kitchen is for, right?) and I was told that durability was a strength of leathered rainforest. It is true that it's not as hard as granite, but it's not as soft as marble, so it doesn't stain, and it's so diverse in its patterning that incidental scratches don't show. I really do love its look! My husband, who cooks with me, is also in love with it. He actually stands in the kitchen and talks about how much he likes the colors and patterns! We're moving to this from late 70's early 80's Formica, so it's a huge (and welcome) change. I bought a clear plastic cutting board--I would never cut directly on the countertop--and I tend to "clean as I go" so I'm not too worried about staining. I truly wish that I'd seen the whole template layout; you can probably avoid this issue if you choose serpentine by paying completer attention.

• you me
    hace 5 años

Wendiho. Is there plywood support under the seam?

If there isn't support under the seam, Pros out there. Can you determine if this material too heavy for a 24" unsupported seam?

wendiwho agradeció a you me
  • PRO
    LauraZB Design
    hace 5 años

Seams are such a challenge, especially with directional patterns on natural stone. It might have been possible to mirror the veins if you had two slabs in sequence... Otherwise, I would have placed the seam in a way to make it look like an intentional part of the design.

Seam placement is an important second step in the design process. That said, pattern matching can be very costly (ie: it may require an additional slab)...and depending of the counter, it might even be impossible with natural stone patterns... If they sent you photos of the slab with placement (ie: stencil of counter placed on actual slab), and it is different than what you approved, you may have some grounds to get it re-cut. If not, hopefully you can appreciate the beauty of natural stone... It really is beautiful!

wendiwho agradeció a LauraZB Design
  • Boxerpal
    hace 5 años

Has anyone else had experience with bad seaming in their kitchen? If so, what did you do? Am I over-reacting? Do I have any choice other than "shut up and put up?"

I have not had experience with bad seams or placement. I am really really picky about my seam placement. I wanted the veins in my granite in my last house and the veins in my current house marble counters. I ordered extra slabs for my projects to prevent this.

I tell you this because You are NOT over-reacting! I wonder where your designer is? What does she say about this? Why did the installer say? A good installer would have checked with you about this seam placement. How many slabs were used?

Even if you were okay with this and now you are not. You need to change this to what you want. I had to make some changes in my reno because later I realized I wanted trim or drawers not doors.. These things happen and sometimes we need to make them what we want. Now is the time to see who is financially responsible and how it can be fixed to the way you want it. You are not over-reacting. Get what you want! And lest I forget to tell you, I like your stone. Very pretty!

Below is my old seam but it is matched perfectly using more than one slab. Can you find it? It is hard to see because they matched it so nicely

and here is my current kitchen with slab that are veined rolled.

Here is my seam that flows the way I like it.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you like it..

wendiwho agradeció a Boxerpal
  • 2ManyDiversions
    hace 5 años

Agree with others, I didn't catch that this was not an approved seam location, and Beth is most likely (as usual) correct, at the corner.

OT a bit: Wilson, just read your comment that your seam was behind your farm sink. Excellent place if one has that. We've got deep base cabinets (27", 28.5" with overhang) so seams behind our range/cooktop, or the farm sink would work for us. Thanks for mentioning this : )

• 2ManyDiversions
    hace 5 años

wendiwho, thanks for posting back (it just showed up for me). If we can't find an alternative, I might have to give you a shout later! You and your DH clearly love it, just as we loved the slabs we saw : ) I wish you the best in finding a solution - that is just too gorgeous not to be right!

FWIW, we are going from 19 year old laminate to new countertops : )

• cat_ky
    hace 5 años

The seam would definitely bother me. However, it would bother me even more that the two pieces of granite look to be two different colors where that seam goes together. It almost looks like they cut it the wrong way on the slab. Reminds me of carpet installs that have a seam, and the carpet is laid in another direction on each side of the seam, so the nap doesnt all go the same way.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 5 años

Following - I would def want a resolve to this....

The top is totally amazing though!

• Boxerpal
    hace 5 años

Curious, what did the installer say? Any word on how they might want to resolve this? Hoping you get the counters you want.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.