Houzz Logo Print
katie_ferguson31

Kitchen style - white or black?

Katie Ferguson
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

We are in the beginning stages of designing our home. I am starting with the kitchen because I want the style to flow throughout the house. I always thought I would want a white kitchen, but a friend showed me this home (in person) and I loved most things throughout the home. It has me second guessing my choice to go white. my concern with all white is that it will look washed out and boring. I like that the black pops, but doesn’t feel super dark.

Comentarios (21)

• cpaul1
    hace 5 años

All white kitchens have been around for a while and have been on their way out for a while. So I would caution you about hitching your wagon to a dying trend. In a few years there are going to be a million white kitchens with white subway tile back splashes just like today every post is a picture of kitchens with maple cabinetry asking how to paint it. Figure out the overall style you want for your home before you do anything. And consider flooring when picking out the color for the cabinetry.

• armchairshopper
    hace 5 años

Black or white? Why compromise? Why not both? It is known as a tuxedo kitchen.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/Tuxedo-kitchen-in-photos

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    The key thing about a kitchen is great layout and design. Pick your appliances first. They will drive some layout challenges. Every style lasts 5-7 years. So if you plan on living in the home over 7 years whatever you do it will be dated. Chose elements that are timeless and that please you. Classic colors last. A combination is classic too. Enjoy the process. Looking at existing kitchens and keep photos and notes on what specifically you liked about each room. You are smart to ask questions now and think ahead.
  • One Devoted Dame
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

A couple of thoughts....

Always strongly consider whatever looks best with the architectural style of your house. :-)

Also, which direction does/will your kitchen face? Does it have any windows? If you have a windowless kitchen, I'd hesitate to do any medium-to-dark tones. But if you have a south facing window (or an entire wall of windows facing north, south, or east), then I think medium-to-dark colors can work beautifully.

• tenamarie123
    hace 5 años

IMHO white kitchens are not a trend...they have been around forever because they are timeless and classic. They are not going anywhere. Painted cabinets on the other hand, blue, grey, that is what is "trendy" and will feel dated in a few years. That being said, black cabinets in that particular kitchen look very nice. I would caution you though, if you don't have a lot of natural light coming into your kitchen or are planning to do darker flooring throughout, could end up looking cave-like. You will need natural light, plenty of artificial light and many light accents, counter tops, wall color, etc.

• PRO
    Spencer Marchand
    hace 5 años

White kitchens are timeless and you can add your own personality through injections of colours, like sit on top coffee machines, toasters etc. Not knowing the size of the kitchen or if it's physically possible in your space, but you could combine two colours. Maybe going white on the tall units and perimeter wall cabinetry and then have a darker accent colour on the island? You could then even look at a feature island worktop, this will make the island pop out and be that focal 'Wow' factor. Also giving you piece of mind that if you didn't like the darker colour or get board of it, you only have to re-paint the island.

Some really great advice advice above and we hope your project exceeds your expectations! Thanks, Spencer Marchand Kitchens.

• tatts
    hace 5 años

A kitchen is--first and foremost--a workspace. For that you need good diffuse lighting (to soften shadows), which is almost impossible with a lot of black in the room. You can mitigate that with light uppers, counters, and backsplash.

• Sylvia Gordon
    hace 5 años

Tuxedo! My aunt had a bathroom in her vintage 1940's house. Not only

was it sharp and classic, but it was very easy to change the color scheme as trends change through the more than 50 years that she lived in that house. Colors I can remember for upper walls, window treatments, etc were pink, yellow, lime green,

& I have a vague recollection, when her eldest son was in his teens, of red LOL.

It always looked fresh, clean, and cheerful.

• leelee
    hace 5 años

White cabinets do not = white kitchen. You can go with slate counters + white cabs and a colored backsplash/walls. I think your picture above does look dark. Only consider black cabinets if you get lots of natural light otherwise it could be cave like. And then when it's dark outside it will be dark inside, too.

• leelee
    hace 5 años

In my opinion black cabinets are a fad. It's not classic like white cabinets so if you're thinking you want an enduring look stick with white rather than black.

• Mrs Pete
    hace 5 años

I think you should go with white cabinets and dark countertops; that gets you the two things you want. Personally, I'd avoid black cabinets. Black furniture shows every bit of dust, and while I agree with you that the picture you shared isn't "super dark", it is dark.

And consider flooring when picking out the color for the cabinetry.

Good point.

IMHO white kitchens are not a trend...they have been around forever because they are timeless and classic.

The color white is a classic -- yes -- but the combination of things that's used over and over and over today in kitchens ... white shaker style, white subway tile, island, silver-tone hardware, a bit of glass in the uppers ... that's a trend.

A kitchen is--first and foremost--a workspace.

Yes, never lose sight of that important focus!

• Katie Ferguson
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you very much everyone! All of your comments have been very helpful!

• Katie Ferguson
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you! I will be open concept.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    With open concepts, more and more kitchens are being designed to blend seamlessly into other rooms. As already stated, if your home styling is contemporary then your kitchen needs to be consistent with that styling. A good designer can help you achieve a good final outcome.
  • loobab
    hace 5 años

Hi Katie-

In the photo of the kitchen above- are those cabinets black-black or more like coffee, a very dark brown?

A very dark brown can look very nice next to white, depending on whether it will go with the rest of your home, and it isn't as stark a look as absolute black, and the dark brown is a bit warmer than a black, too.

Another thing to remember is that you can always add colored and natural accessories such as a wooden cutting board, a bowl or basket of fruit, a dish towel, a plant or flowers, a crock of utensils with colored silicone tips, etc.

• K Laurence
    hace 5 años

i was amused by the comment that white kitchens are going out of style. My parents always had white kitchens , I still remember them from when I was a child back in the 60’s. They’re classic. The kitchen from my childhood would still look good today.

• sprtphntc7a
    hace 5 años

i don't think you can go wrong with either or a mix. if going dark, just be sure u have good sources of natural light and use under cab lights.

we went with espresso cabs about 5 yrs. ago and i still love them...DH wanted nothing do with painted cabs, so that was our compromise. you can still see the wood grain in cabs which we love.

white will always be in style.

just be sure to pick a cab style to goes with the architectural style of your home.

• User
    hace 5 años

That kitchen feels very dark and heavy to me. If you have lots of natural light that would be good. I know white cabinets have been considered trendy for awhile but I think it's all in the design of the kitchen and everything else you use with it. I'd go white.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

I would not design my entire house around my kitchen; I would design my kitchen around the rest of my house.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

I am huge black and white fan but I would never do black kitchen cabinets or black appliances . IMO white kitchens are a classic and depending on the style of cabinets can be anything from ulter contemporary to traditional. What is your style? Black sucks light from a space that is why it is used in small does in a space for that “pop” I would go white in whatever your style is and then use black carefully for that nice contrast. I think I can understand wanting the kitchen to be the first item of business. Please no espresso anything it was cheap chinese stuff to beginn with and has now faded away I hope.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.