Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Help with table centerpiece

Elle
hace 5 años

Please help me decorate my table! I feel like I keep swinging and missing on this for some reason. I had black candles and a black candlabra but after we installed the light it felt too similar. So I switched it out for the gold box with some fall stuff in it but it felt too formal or old fashioned.
Then I found this velvet runner which I thought would be perfect with the teal and mint accents in the rest of our house, but the birch candle holder seems kinda lonely. I'm definitely on a budget and I think my husband will kill me if I buy another candle holder lol.

Comentarios (32)

• drdeb1234
    hace 5 años
    You have four lights in a line coming down from the ceiling. You don’t want a centrepiece that is also 4 or 5 of something in a line. Think round, or oval. Preferably with a textured, organic feel. To counteract the harder lines from the table, chandelier, and chairs. Good luck!
  • drdeb1234
    hace 5 años
    Also, I’m never a fan of candles that look like they will never actually be lit. I find that type of decor contrived. But maybe that’s just me...
  • chloebud
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I like the idea of something low in your case. Any chance you have a container that's shallow, narrow and long? I could see something in wood filled with small pumpkins and gourds.

• PRO
    Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
    hace 5 años

You might want to consider five hurricanes or five candlesticks down the center of the table. or a gathering of a seasonal floral and two vases.

• Elle
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I like the idea of something low and oval... I just am not sure what material to use for the bowl? Would wood be weird against the grey wood table?
  • chloebud
    hace 5 años

I think wood should be fine. What I was picturing is one of those wood 'dough' bowls that's shallow and long-ish. The same shape/size in clear glass would also be good. Even a basket...

• chloebud
    hace 5 años

Try an online search for "wood dough bowl centerpiece" to see what I mean....at least in shape.

• drdeb1234
    hace 5 años

Something like I’ve currently got on my dining table would probably work nicely in your room

It’s just an earthy sort of bowl filled with gourds. Oval would be better though (for me too!)

• Anne Duke
    hace 5 años
    Use a fruit bowl on a low pedestal. Spindles and tapers and a visible bulb fixture are all too much together.
  • Manon Floreat
    hace 5 años

Fresh flowers on a pretty tray always brighten a table.

Or perhaps an attractive arrangement of succulents and candles?

Terrariums can also be be fun. If you ever share your table with children, you could talk about what sorts of fairies live there!

Have a few ideas at the ready so you can switch it up at a whim

• Elle
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    haha the only people I share my table with believe in fairies, children or otherwise ;)
  • Manon Floreat
    hace 5 años

You have great taste in companions, ElleN!

• chloebud
    hace 5 años

Perfect examples from grover. I like the first one, too.

• rhondaka
    hace 5 años

I too immediately thought of something oval or round. I love the dough bowls and agree with a previous post that you wouldn't want to overfill it.

In my book, fresh flowers always wins but they can be difficult to sustain with everyone's busy schedule.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

Some inspiration from Ethan Allen

• Elle
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    celerygirl that was actually my inspiration picture for my downstairs!
  • drdeb1234
    hace 5 años

celerygirl, I usually love your suggestions, but in my opinion that inspiration room has just too many black lines. Chairs, settee, chandelier, frames, and even the trim of the rug. Way too much of a good thing

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

IMO a bowl of fruit or fresh flowers are always nice. You can eat the fruit and enjoy the flowers and change them when ever you like. Flowers are so cheap at the super market they are always my choice.

• IdaClaire
    hace 5 años

Celerygirl's photo above is a nice look, but not at all practical. That's not a centerpiece you'd be able to use while dining with others, but a decorative space filler. I agree with using a simple long, oval bowl on the table.

• Usuario de Houzz-324894491
    hace 5 años

Tray loaded with real autumn fruit.

• Janie
    hace 5 años

Just a candle comment - we use candles every night while dining so its not an issue for us on our dining room table, but even when I have candles on a display, I light them and burn them down a bit just to make them look like they are really and truly used (even if I'm faking it). Just a "thing" I started doing years and years ago.

• highdesertowl
    hace 5 años

I like the idea of a round object or objects as a counterpoint to the lines and angles of your light and chairs. Maybe a couple pumpkins and some scattered tea lights? For the holidays you could switch to reindeer, or trees. Keep it low and simple, and you won't have to fuss with moving it each time you sit for a meal.

• Elle
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for all the ideas! Does this bowl work ok? I was originally looking for something elongated but I liked the charred exterior. I was thinking of filling it with white pumpkins instead of the pinecones?

• Anne Duke
    hace 5 años
    I think the runner is unnecessary and the bowl a bit small. Try putting something colorful in the bowl, seasonal gourds for example, and see what it looks like without the runner. Or, try three or four smaller orchid plants in a rectangular container.
  • chloebud
    hace 5 años

It looks small to me, too. I also agree you don't need the runner. Mini white pumpkins could work but look for a more elongated bowl...like grover's first photo.

• Elle
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Argh I suspected the bowl was too small but our table is small so I thought it might be ok.
    Is the runner *bad* or just not necessary? It's hard to see the color in pictures but I like that it brings color to the room.
  • J. Appelbaum
    hace 5 años

I like your runner and like the color too. If you keep the bowl, add a tray with some greenery or something "organic". By itself, the bowl is too small.

• Betsy Cain
    hace 5 años
    The pine cones + charred bowl + runner is really pretty and practical for everyday — especially if there are six of you eating there for most meals. We are a family of six, and small centerpieces are most practical for us these days because the food takes up so much space on the table. That being said, what about something like this — three containers full of fruit or mini pumpkins or pine cones:
    Old Village Remodel · Más información
  • Betsy Cain
    hace 5 años
    Another idea would be a wide, shallow platter-type bowl filled with fruit like this:
    Various Projects · Más información
  • Anne Duke
    hace 5 años
    A suggestion having zip to do with table decor. Try switching the dining chairs and the bench positions. The vertical lines of the the three doors and the long horizontal lines of the light fixture and bench are doing something to the look that’s a bit jarring with the photo angle. Also, the framed picture between the doors is too high and a bit washed out.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.