Houzz Logo Print
rachel_nye4

Stair remodel advice please

Rachel Nye
hace 5 años
Hi. Wanting to remodel stairs to get rid of orange oak. Would like to paint railings and posts white (possibly handrails too as it seems easier). Curious what to do with the bottom area where the rails attach (paint white?). The biggest dilemma will be the threads, landing and hall. Ideally would like to match the flooring throughout house (Bella Cera Maple). But with all the bedrooms being upstairs and a house full of kids not seeing time to sand and stain to match. Possibly just covering hallway/landing with new floors and getting new treads would be the best for our situation. Thanks for any tips/advice. (also wanting to repaint accent wall any SW color advice would be great.)

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Mayo Custom Kitchens & Baths LLC
    hace 5 años
    Hi Rachel,
    I have a design build firm here in Jacksonville Florida. I generally would advise you to lightly sand everything first ( rails, post and the banister trim) to break the varnish. Then use a liquid sander deglosser to help break the varnish down even more. Wipe everything clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer coat of gripper primer usually made by kilz. Then after that drys apply your top coat of oil base. If your on a tight budget. Sanding the treads is most likely the best coarse of action to take. Any floor refinishers know the process and can make it appear the same. The issue is that the material varies from oak to maple. I hope that helps and your project goes s
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you!
  • PRO
    Mayo Custom Kitchens & Baths LLC
    hace 5 años
    You're more then welcome and good luck. I know floor refinishing is daunting. However to remove all the treads and to replace with new could get costly.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Karen that looks great! So no accent color on those walls? Just go with the rest of the house color? It was wallpaper before....
  • K R
    hace 5 años
    Yes, all one color. It will flow so much better you’ll see!
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thanks Karen! I think we will do that, never considered that but it makes sense. Thanks!
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Wanted to show the after: thank you for all the advice!

• MB S
    hace 5 años
    Nice!
  • Mrs. S
    hace 5 años

That looks very nice! I like your choices.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you. still have to touch up with white areas.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    we ended up staining the treads.
  • cluedin
    hace 5 años
    Beautiful. Nice job.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

before and after. great advice here!

• K R
    hace 5 años
    It looks great! That really changes the house!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.