Houzz Logo Print
james_peters58

Hummingbird feeder problems

James Peters
hace 5 años

I recently bought a new hummingb feeder for my back porch. It worked amazing for the first three weeks and we had a ton of birds coming and going everyday. When it ran out of nectar, I took it inside and cleaned the bowl with warm water and nothing else. I filled it up with different nectar than previously used and now almost no birds stop by. If they do stop to feed, they only stay for a few seconds and try all the fake flowers and then leave. Previously they would just go to one of the plastic flowers and stay for a few minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? did they just really prefer the old nectar?

Comentarios (12)

• James Peters
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The feeder came with some nectar and then I just bought a different brand of premade nectar from the store because I’m lazy and I was already there haha. I’ll give it a good scrub and just make my own nectar this time and see if I have any luck. Thanks for the input!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

Homemade nectar is always best!! There are sometimes ingredients in the prepared nectar mixes that are not good for the birds. Like coloring or dyes. And the 4:1 water/sugar solution is the closest to the natural nectar formulation found in flowers.

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    hace 5 años
    Where are you located? Seems the majority of hummingbirds have already passed through Texas on their migration.
  • Kim S
    hace 5 años
    My hummingbirds never stayed much longer than a minute before flying off and returning 10-15 minutes later for more.

Soap and water are fine for cleaning. Just do a bleach and water soak once per month. Mold really starts growing in and around the holes.

Make your own nectar. I do 2 cups of water to half a cup of sugar. It lasts a week and then I change it. Much cheaper and you know what's in it.

My hummingbirds have been gone for 3 weeks and I am in Wisconsin.
  • cooper8828
    hace 5 años

I also haven't seen a hummingbird for over a week. The feeders are coming in for a final thorough cleaning tomorrow and being stored for the winter.

• James Peters
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks everyone for the comments. I’m in Houston, Texas and I have seen a few this week but maybe they are just migrating out. I’ll be sure to make my own nectar next time.

• loobab
    hace 5 años

Can you poke a toothpick into the plastic flower holes to make sure they are not clogged?

Also, I wash with hot water and soap and use a round scrub brush to get into the bottle to really clean it, then submerge the whole thing to soak it, and rinse it very well a few times.

I also submerge the base in the hot soapy water and rinse that very well too.

I buy the pre-made powder and add bottled water. Not distilled water. In hot weather you need to change it every couple of days or it goes bad.

As others above have mentioned, there are migration patterns.

The other thing is, hummingbirds are very territorial.

There may be one that has staked yours out and is chasing the others away and you just haven't noticed that.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

"As others above have mentioned, there are migration patterns."

Unless you live where hummers are year round residents.....like pretty much anywhere along the west coast :-) My feeders are up 365 - 24/7!! And boy, can I go through a lot of sugar!!

• skriddles
    hace 5 años

I'm surprised to see several people here say they use soap and one even mentioned bleach. I always heard that you should avoid using anything but hot water and maybe a little vinegar, still being careful to rinse thoroughly, and that you shouldn't even use a sponge or brush that you sometimes use with soap. Any thoughts?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

No issues at all with either soap, vinegar or bleach (although vinegar/bleach is not really necessary) as long as you rinse the feeder well. It is far more important to clean the feeder regularly than fret about what products you use to clean it :-)

• mblan13
    hace 5 años

I use soap occasionally, not every cleaning. I have used bleach, vinegar without issue. I also use a small bottle brush, it helps get into the nooks and crannies... but I only use it on the feeders. If the motorcycle chain needs a scrub, I'll look elsewhere for a brush!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.