Houzz Logo Print
zeldastar04

Suggestions for front landscape?

zeldastar04
hace 5 años

Hi all,

This is our house. We ripped out all the overgrown evergreens that were covering the windows. Let in the light!!! :) Stumps and rhododendrons will be removed shortly....

Here are my awesome MS paint skills, with my initial thoughts on what to put in front. Hydrangeas near the steps, roses in the middle, and cypress on the ends. Salvia on the right end, and yuki cherry blossoms for some ground cover. Please (kindly and gently, I AM NOT A PRO) critique my plan, thank you. :)

The bed on the left side gets partial sun, the bed on the right is full sun. We have problems with deer consuming everything (!!!) so plants need to be deer resistant. We are in zone 7b? I think. Eastern Massachusetts, but not on the cape.

I am planning to replace those undersized builder grade light fixtures...

Also, in our longer term plan (next two years or so), we need to address the brick steps (railings are loose) and a new front door, but need to save up some budget for that, so if you have suggestions for the future, I am happy to hear them. :)

Thanks.

Comentarios (19)

• mnmamax3
    hace 5 años

Can you take a picture farther back? Do you have any islands or trees in the yard? Initially I would suggest a small tree on the far left side to bring the landscaping away from the house a bit. We lived in southern NH and a Kousa dogwood worked well for us (it only grows about 20' tall.

• zeldastar04
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I'm at work right now, but I'll take pics from further back when I get home later :) Nothing else in the lawn. But there are large trees on the left side of the house. Now you've got me thinking....

• apple_pie_order
    hace 5 años

Beautiful house. Look at shrubs that get only four feet high at maturity. The cypress will get huge. The hydrangeas will get pretty big. The roses will be good if they get full sun at least half a day in summer.

If you are interested in a showy drop-dead flowering border, talk to your local nursery about what does well in your area. If you prefer native plants, there are many that will do well, consult local nursery for advice. Your planting bed will need a lot of soil amendments such as compost to get a good start after the stumps are removed. Ask the stump grinder pros to loosen up the soil along the whole bed for you with the appropriate machines. Their machines save backbreaking labor.

• mnmamax3
    hace 5 años

Does your garage tuck-under? You always want to plant in odd-number groupings. Will you be keeping the walkway or replacing at some point? You can really set yourself up for success knowing the plan up front, even if you can't implement it right away.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 5 años

How deep are those beds (width from foundation to walkway)? They look a bit skimpy to be able to accommodate your intended plant choices.

Both roses and hydrangeas are very appealing to deer and the deutzia only slightly less so. What was wrong with the rhodies? Personally, I'd prefer more evergreen material in a front foundation planting........that area is going to look pretty sparse and dead in winter.

• lizziesma
    hace 5 años

I would get the beds in shape, let them overwinter, and spend the winter dreaming up a plan. Your plan can be realized in several steps, depending on scope and budget. I would actually get the hardscape in place before planting anything. Get some pro help with your plan if you get stumped. Many of our local nurseries will draw up a tentative plan with little to no investment up front. Spend the winter doing research on plants that will thrive in your region, etc.

• PRO
    Robert R. Larsen, Architect
    hace 5 años

I salute you for wanting to enlarge the light fixtures. Also - since your house is so symmetrical I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to make the planting symmetrical.

• zeldastar04
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

So, I went online and found the listing pictures from like 6 years ago, when we bought the house. Those evergreens in front grew so much since then! Here's a better angle showing where the garage is in relation to the house. To answer the question about the walkway, yes, I would love to move it further out from the house, so I could have a bigger bed for more flowers, but it's one of those things... if I had a million dollars. There's nothing really "wrong" with it, but it is just basic asphalt. =D

• zeldastar04
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The rhododendrons have not bloomed for years, and weren’t really growing anymore... hmm. I suppose I just don’t love them either, but I do hear the point about needing some evergreens so it’s not so bare in the winter.

Now That I am thinking more long term, it in fact might be a good point not to rush into planting now, and really think about the walkway thing first.

The beds are not very deep, only about 5 feet in depth from the foundation, if I am able to estimate. I’m not at home to measure.
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 5 años

People often experiment with flowering annuals while they are considering what to do long term. You could also plant a couple big bags of $50-for-75 daffodil bulbs this fall before frost. They can be dug up and replanted when you get around to it next year after they bloom.

• mark_rachel
    hace 5 años

Terrible pic, but I would keep it simple on the right side & do a more extensive bed on the left with a tree on the corner.

zeldastar04 agradeció a mark_rachel
  • partim
    hace 5 años

Don't try to make the right and left sides identical. The plants will not grow identically, and then it won't look good. Make the bed on the right side deeper as shown in the post just above mine.

• zeldastar04
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

To Yaardvark, thank you, it is helpful to know which pictures I need to take!

• zeldastar04
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Partim, you raise an excellent point for us to consider. I did notice that there was a significant size difference in the previous shrubs on the left vs. the right, due to differing amounts on sun and shade.

• mark_rachel
    hace 5 años

I think patim was trying to say make the LEFT side (looking at the pic) deeper since he referenced my post. Which makes sense because you have limited space on the right. Make sure you look for dwarf shubs that do not get very big so you are not trimming them back every couple of weeks.

• partim
    hace 5 años

@mark_rachel you are correct. I meant the left side.

All shrubs have a tag that shows how big they will be at maturity. Both height and width. Be sure you leave enough room between shrubs. Also leave enough space between the shrubs and the house, so that there will be a foot of space at maturity. It will look a bit sparse at first, so just plant annuals in between, until the shrubs mature. It will save you a lot of trimming and pruning later on, or even having to remove too-close shrubs (waste of time and money).

• emmarene9
    hace 5 años

• PRO
    Owen Landscape Architect
    hace 5 años

I would begin with the house itself. It is crying for something substantial to give it dimension and character - a portico. Pull the landing out from the house. The exposed foundation offers a ripe opportunity to have raised planting beds with perhaps a rustic stone wall with coping. That radius where the walkway turns into the house is a visual distraction. Straighten the lines out! Incorporate some intentional pathway lighting to draw people to the front door. The steps can have a special plinth for those 2 pots (rather then have them sitting on the steps proper).

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.