Houzz Logo Print
britraebasham

Oversized Wall Clock Placement???

britraebasham
hace 5 años
We have a 1966 Colonial and the living room is long, but not that wide. I’m attaching photos of my design dilemma. I just purchased a clock and thought behind the sofa would look nice but I just hit me that the wall that the sofa is on, is not the same length as the wall the fireplace is on. My husband centered the TV over the fireplace, but then centered the sofa with the wall. That left the sofa not centered with the fireplace. Needless to say, that threw the room off. Then I moved the sofa and centered it with the fireplace, which then left extra space on the right and the clock not centered with the wall. I’m so confused. Maybe I don’t use the clock in this room. Thought about doing different mirrors all along the wall that the sofa is on. Thoughts?? I’m stuck!

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

I'm sure Sophie will have a good answer for this question.

• britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    It’s 48” round.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Unfortunately my husband won’t move the TV (boo). So I’m stuck with that. The only reason the small grey table is there is to hide the equipment. That big sofa table can go away. That was a piece that was left over from our old house and we didn’t know where to put it. Now that you’ve mentioned there being too much furniture on the walls, I totally see it. That’s probably why I have never been very happy with this room.
  • PRO
    Robert R. Larsen, Architect
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

If it wouldn't look to large, I'd put the clock on the exterior wall between the two windows at the end of the room, and keep the sofa centered on the fireplace. Otherwise find another room for the clock. Artwork on the wall behind the sofa.

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

No to the clock in this room. No to mirrors. Yes to artwork. I'd consider moving that small table with the candles next to the fireplace to another location also.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

NO clock

Center the TV over the fireplace and center the sofa on the fireplace as well as the coffee table.

Select a 30" -36" dia. enter table and 27-30" tall lamp and add a canvas over the sofa

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    hace 5 años

Agree with Beverly here - I like your clock piece, but I think it may just be a little overscale to fit comfortably on the far wall. I'd also try your angel wings piece over the sofa first, since it, too, is too large to feel so far in the corner where it's currently placed.

Since we have a 'naked windows situation' in the room, we should leave enough space on either side of these windows for drapery to stack.

Especially on your far wall behind the two armchairs, handsome floor-length drapery framing those windows would be all that wall needs to feel finished, and really show you how much wall space you have left to work with if any additional art is desired there. I might also try a small, tall lamp on the table between those armchairs for a little more ambient lighting, too. There should be a plug somewhere close on that wall!

• _sophiewheeler
    hace 5 años

That’s too big for a home trash bin pickup. I’d suggest the dumpster at work.

• britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I’m sorry Sophie... what are you referring to?
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

Maybe instead of a side table to hide the cables and plugs, you could get a large wicker basket and put decorative throws in it (or toy storage since it looks like you have kids, but make sure the basket has a lid if you go this route).

I think the room also needs some plants to soften it up and break up the furniture and bring in more life.

I also think you need some floor length window covering as suggested above.

You have some great pieces but you just need a little bit of a design nudge here and there to make this room a place you're proud of.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

You've already got a lot of different styles going on in here. Some contemporary, transitional, neo-traditional, etc but you're not getting a good eclectic look (if that's what you're going for). The clock will dominate whatever wall you hang it on and it doesn't look handsomely aged, it looks rusty. Step back and take a little time to winnow out pieces that detract from your overall look and keep the ones you absolutely love. If you have to, take everything out of the room except the seating and then add back in, one piece at a time.

• Miranda33
    hace 5 años

Big clocks arent really a good idea, sorry. It doesn't allow you to relax, cause there it is, telling you THE TIME every time you look up. If you hang it on your wall you will not like it very quickly. You would do better with pretty art. You should enjoy the things you put on your walls. Ask yourself, will I enjoy seeing this every time I enter the room?

You said you just purchased it. You should see if you can return it. I promise you that you won't be happy with it.

• gallagk
    hace 5 años
    Hi, hang clock outside in the garden. No mirrors needed just an appropriate scaled art piece, preferably original.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    Hire a pro to center the TV. art over sofa and hang it around 6” above top of sofa. It should be approx 2/3 the length of the sofa.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.