Houzz Logo Print
avniwashington

TV in open plan living space or in separate room?

Pavan123
hace 5 años
we are about to start are extension and I need to finalise the electrical plan. We have a separate lounge, playroom and kitchen/diner/living space. the TV is currently in the lounge. I hadn't planned on putting a TV in the open plan kitchen/diner/living space, but I'm wondering whether I'll regret it later. Just wondering what people's thoughts and experiences were. Thanks!
separate tv room to open plan family space
tv in separate room and another in the open plan kitchen/diner/living space
TV in the open plan space and a separate formal lounge,

Comentarios (9)

• Karen
    hace 5 años
    I agree with above comment. Include in both rooms and it will prove you with the flexibility in the future.
  • Sameena Singh
    hace 5 años

This totally depends on your lifestyle and how you see to run your house. For example, I do not like TVs in bedrooms- the builder, electrician everyone tried really hard and found it unusual why I wouldn't even provide a connection. I just thought there is NO chance that can happen- hence did not give a provision.

You can give a provision and close it off, but if you don't see yourself using it in 5-10 yrs time. Then I wouldn't bother.

• PRO
    Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    hace 5 años

I have had a largish kitchen dining living area for quite a few years and would say that if you have a family the Space gets used differently depending on the age of your kids - for example when little they hang around with you and get involved with cooking, drawing at breakfast bar, then when older they always do homework there and tv is a distraction....then when teenagers you are so glad they can watch tv with their friends in the kitchen area and you can retreat to the living room! So I guess put the cable in and have the option

• PRO
    Christine Plank
    hace 5 años

It all depends on your lifestyle - we have a separate TV room and it means we go there to watch specific programs rather than having a TV on in the background whilst we are doing other things.We have so much screen time these days with our phones that i feel we don't need a TV in a room where we are doing other activities and particularly not where we are eating as mealtimes are often the only moments families get to sit down and talk together. It means you have another room to entertain, read or chat without TV noise & distraction.

• PRO
    Immersive Cinema Rooms
    hace 5 años

We've just done an installation where the TV was in an open plan area and is only on view when needed. There are lot of options (for all price points) around this subject that can allow you to have a TV in the open plan area but not look like a TV.

• Pavan123
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for all your comments, the opinions seem to be split evenly. I think my worry is that if we have a tv in the open plan area we might jus end up having it on all the time, but I suppose I can put the to point in and it's there if we need it, but won't install a to straight away and see if it's missed! Xx
    hace 5 años

china 设计师到此一游

hace 5 años

I'm an interior space designer from China. Nice to meet you!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.