Houzz Logo Print
sonalitheisen

2cm kitchen counters....to miter or not to miter?

DR4
hace 5 años
I’ve posted before on this topic functionally, but could use some advice aesthetically before making a decision! I purchased 2cm slabs for an L kitchen counter only (no island). Cabinets will be a simple white shaker, and the rest of my finishes are all fairly clean/transitional, though not modern (below). I tend to prefer thinner counters over thicker...but it really depends on the look, as I’ve seen beautiful thick counters I like too. I plan to do simple eased edges.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to miter the edges to 3cm (no substrate, will be built in support in the cabinets.). I am a bit nervous too about chipping risks with mitering during the fabrication process. But then I also worry, as some have posted here, that 2cm will look too thin/non-proportional once installed. We live on East Coast, where it seems 3cm is more popular but I’m not sure that matters to me. What is your opinion? Thanks in advance!
Keep 2cm edge profile
Miter to 3cm

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    hace 5 años

It's your personal preference, but cost comes into play as well. Is it worth the expense of the mitre edges? Would a 3cm top at that point be better and you would not have to be concerned about chippng and edge matching? It's a moot point if you like the 2cm thickness.

• DR4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks @skippack. I loved the stone and it only came in 2cm. Cost not a factor.
  • gella81
    hace 5 años

2 cm edge looks good in sleek and minimalist modern kitchen. With the style you're going for, I'd miter to 3.

• K R
    hace 5 años
    If just perimeter the thinner looks sleeker. Islands look better in 3, but since you’re not doing one, I think I’d stick to the slimmer profile.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

I would save the money and stay with 2 cm

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

If it's a tossup anyway, I'd avoid the mitering. Thin is in.

• justcallmepool
    hace 5 años

I have 2cm with no miter edge. I love the look. I kept my island at 2cm as well. I like the way it looks in person, but in pics I feel it looks skinny. But since you won’t have an island that’s not a concern really.

One issue I have, am waiting for my builders to rectify somehow, is that there was no plywood to attach the dishwasher to. So it’s currently just slid in and tips out when both drawers are out.

Joseph, if you have a solution for that I’m all ears.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

^ correct.

• chispa
    hace 5 años

Yep, my old DW was attached from above, with screws that eventually came loose and the DW would shift.

When they installed my new DW a couple of months ago I asked the Miele rep about it and he said they now attached to the cabinets on both sides.

• justcallmepool
    hace 5 años

Thanks! That's good to know...except my builder is the one who commented about no plywood being the issue. how wonderful :\ Plus I wonder what happened to those clips...

• zmith
    hace 5 años

DR4, is that Calacatta marble? It's beautiful whatever it is.

• DR4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @Zsmith—yes, Calacatta Vagli. @Joseph Corlett and @justwantapool...thank you very much for the helpful information and particular for the photos justwantapool. I’ve confirmed 2cm no mitering with our cabinet maker. ☺️
  • PRO
    Robert R. Larsen, Architect
    hace 5 años

While currently popular, I wonder if 2cm thin counter-tops are going to one day seen to be dated and "cheap" ? I would speak with your stone supplier and discuss this issue with them to see if there might be a way to make the edges thicker other than a simple miter. There are many decorative edge profiles which can be created other than plain rectangular edges. These would be more expensive, however.

• DR4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @robert Larsen thank you...cost isn’t a factor re: mitering. I don’t like fancy edge profiles, they are not my taste..I know I want eased edges. I will post at some point once installed with 2cm.
  • disco_lemonade
    hace 2 años

Bump! How did your counters turn out? @dr4

• DR4
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I personally like how they look aesthetically—I feel it gave the kitchen a slightly more modern look. The 2cm does seem more fragile though, have a couple of small chips and a superficial crack. If I had to do again, I might have gone 3cm but I also don’t regret the 2cm.

• disco_lemonade
    hace 2 años

It looks gorgeous!! Good to know about the fragility though. I have young children that I’m sure I’ll find on the counters at some point so perhaps I should stick to 3cm but I love how yours turned out.

• DR4
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you! Yes….if you want marble and there is any possibility of someone standing on the counters, I’d go with 3cm :). I’m convinced the crack was from a contractor accidentally beating weight on it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

You should be able to dance a Conga line across any properly installed countertop.

• Sher H
    hace 2 años

Your kitchen is wonderful! I love your Waterstone faucet, the backsplash, the vent hood/stove combo, your fabrics. Everything pulled together beautifully. I wish I had an eye for details like that! It’s so warm and inviting.

• justcallmepool
    hace 2 años

DR4, your kitchen is beautiful! I really love those corner glass cabinets! What a great idea.

I have 2cm quartzite and haven't noticed any fragility. 2 kids (5 & 7) who climb on them often, even the island with overhang, and no issues.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.