Houzz Logo Print
misyel4

Seeking advice on retaining wall

misyel4
hace 5 años
Please advise on the design of the retaining wall. Not sure if the diagonal position works and height is appropriate. Note that we live in a semi-detached home and we are still going tomput a low retainihg wall around the tree. I feel like we have created too many walls.

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 5 años

What Babs said. It'd be hard to comment about a project midway through construction without specific questions and some knowledge of where the project is going. I can't guess as to how you mean a retaining wall could go around that tree. You'd need to be specific.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

This is what it may look like when completed:

No tree well needed.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    hace 5 años

In picture #1, there's a retaining wall coming from the steps straight along the driveway toward the viewer. What's the purpose of this retaining wall? I don't see anything to retain . . . . . .

• misyel4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for the advice and sorry for not being clear. I have added a pic in a different angle to show the diagonal retaining wall that goes through the driveway (there are still stones in front of the house so the view is blocked if the pic is taken across the street). My family friend told me that this retaining wall is used to keep the soil from eroding and also for sitting. We are debating on whether this retaining wall is appropriate and if not how can we make it better? Should we lessen the height? Make it straight rather than diagonal? Lookung forward to your additional inputs. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 5 años

Personally, I do not care for the diagonal configuration. It would have looked better to tie to each end at 90*, which means that it could have been straight or it could have been an S-curve. I'm not sure why you're running the wall to the city walk; it looks like it is not retaining anything (or didn't need to) and is a freestanding wall/curb, making the driveway seem more confined.

It would be a lot easier for people to understand if you'd show a plan of what you have so we could see how everything fits together.

Just a tip ... when you're taking pictures, it is best to stand with the camera at the place where the most important thing can be seen straight on. Then, take a series of slightly overlapping photos, panning from left to right, that shows the complete scene, including the surroundings, so we can see how everything fits together. If you move the camera to various locations, taking single shots, it is as if we have blinders on. It's hard to figure out the overall scene. The angle of the wall did not jump out in the first set of pictures.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 5 años

In a picture, what I'm saying is it would have been better to do like this:

But then I'm asking why is a wall needed here at all? I think it's adding a negative and that it would have been better to make the driveway edge in the S-curve shape, with no wall at all, since it looks like there's no grade change between your yard and neighbor's at right.

• misyel4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks so much and I totally agree with the curve. I also agree of not putting a high wall but not sure as the soil might erode to the driveway because the ground is higher than the driveway (see pic: sorry for this pic but hopefully it helps). Please correct me if wrong. I am not a professional so not sure if this is true. We asked our friend who has experience to do this for us.
    hace 5 años

This last set of pictures is very helpful.

No offense to your friend, but he/she appears to have minimal landscaping experience. He/she may be an outstanding wall builder, but I really don’t see a need for a wall. Maybe a driveway BORDER, but not a driveway WALL.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 5 años

The final drive grade needs to be compared to the final yard grade adjacent to it. (It looks like pavers might be going atop the drive, raising its surface a few inches above what is shown in the pictures ...??) If the final grades are only a few inches difference, then they could be addressed by having a curb retain the lawn area for the portion where retention is warranted. It doesn't make sense to make a freestanding wall out of the minimal grade differences, such that it is sticking up above grade as viewed from either side, and it will not look as good to have something that doesn't make sense.

• PRO
    CB Conlin Landscapes Inc.
    hace 5 años

The wall is built too close to the existing tree. It’s damaging the tree roots and can also lead to failure of the wall itself when the roots decide to regrow below it. Your contractor shouldn’t be using the base of that tree for material storage either. The full pallets of wall/pavers are severely compacting the roots. You have a really good chance of losing that tree in the near future.

• misyel4
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes there wil be interlocking pavers on the driveway. I will talk later to tell my friend that the wall has to go. I asked because I thought it doesn't look right. And I am very thankful to all of you for providing quick and helpful comments on landscaping and photography
    hace 5 años

Good plan.

If you do not mind my asking, is the ‘friend’ charging you to do this project? First appearances seem to indicate that the friend has the best interests in mind of someone who is not you. Lots of $$ spent unnecessarily.

I do like the idea of a paver driveway, though.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.