Houzz Logo Print
rozannekempster

Lounge paint advice needed!

Rozanne K
hace 5 años

Our lounge was last decorated in 2005 so is in dire need of redecoration and advice is needed in respect of paint colours / tones etc. I have taken some photos from various angles to give you an idea of its current state -

The sofas are staying for now

The rug is going

The fireplace is currently covered with a piece of wood to stop 2 kittens climbing up the chimney!

The main colour in there at the moment is F&B String except for either side of the fireplace

Would also like to change the wall & ceiling lights - ceiling is quite low

Vertical blinds must be replaced - ny ideas please?

The room gets lots of sun from about 3pm onwards

I already have lots of samples from hallway redecoration and kitchen extension

I'm tempted to go more neutral although husband disagrees ! Thankyou

Comentarios (16)

• Rozanne K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Carolina, thank you!

so the whole room in blue? It looks like my front door colour by the way. My husband loves it!

• E D
    hace 5 años

Result!

Don't forget to paint behind the TV though... :-)

• Carolina
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Yes, I would do the whole room in blue. Looks like one wall is almost entirely taken up by windows, so it's light enough. I feel that it makes the room really cosy. I just mixed a colour in photoshop, so I can't tell you which blue it is. But it looks like the dark blue of the cushions on the sofa under the large painting.

It will make the room feel darker though. Perhaps you could paint the radiators in the same colour. Or have radiator covers and paint those in the same colour.

And yes, I forgot to paint behind the TV. Oops :-D

• PRO
    iMarc-Pro Architects
    hace 5 años
    blue looks cool but not all walls. the TV Wall can be the ascent blue wall. use a lighter colour for the remaining 3 walls. cream or white.
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

I like the blue too, it makes the sofa blend into the wall and complements the light carpet.

• E D
    hace 5 años

Haha Carolina, it was actually meant for OP.

As a joke, of course. :)

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I think the sofa's are dating the room, so along with Carolina's great blue walls i'd go for a sofa cover and re-do the footstool. Tone down some of the pine by painting it to match. Change the rug,

My daughter recently bought covers from Amazon sofa cover, and was really impressed with the quality, She then treated herself to a co-ordinating armchair, thus saving a fortune.

Rozanne K agradeció a User
  • Rozanne K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I don’t think I’m brave enough to do all the walls in blue ! Maybe just the fireplace wall and a lighter colour everywhere else - would that look so dreadful?!

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

You could definitely start with the fireplace wall and see how it goes from there.

Most people are a bit weary of painting all the walls navy, but I've never heard someone say they regretted it. Still, it's a personal choice.

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

For the more neutral colour, see what works with the carpet. I think the colour that is on both sides of the fireplace isn't working, so don't do that one. It seems too greenish.

String looks okay. But you might want to go lighter?

• PRO
    Design Spec Ltd
    hace 5 años

Hi all,

Carolina has chosen a great blue colour! We find this blue with hints of gold in either light fixtures or furnishings can look great!

Let us know what you go for.

Design Spec Ltd.

• Emily
    hace 5 años
    I say be brave and go for it! With some pictures on the wall it will look fab I’m sure :)
  • Rozanne K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I painted the hallway Dulux Cotton Bloom and have 5 litres over But it might be too light. I also like F&B inchyra blue.

• Rozanne K
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Should I keep the ceilings and woodwork white if I go for the blue?

Thanks for all the ‘blue’ encouragement :)

My husband painted the shed Bluebell at the weekend - looks like a beach hut!

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

Yes, I'd say woodwork and ceilings white. I'm not sure Inchyra Blue will work with your sofas. Might be too green. I'd get some paper colour swatches, see which blues go with the blue of the sofas and then invest in some testers.

That's a happy looking shed :-)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.