Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47935956

Layout Advice - Wall Placement

User
hace 5 años

We are in the process of building a new home, and need to make final decisions on wall placements and kitchen layout next week. I'm happy with the bedroom area, but the main living space (centre of house) still feels off. I'm not sure how the living room will function yet, and it feels like a lot of unusable space. The stairs have been pushed back a bit further to be almost aligned with the small office wall. The home is on a slab, so the plumbing is roughed in - the kitchen sink has to stay put.

I'm thinking that the front entrance wall (with the bench) maybe should be extended a bit. I'm disappointed that in such a large kitchen I've lost my pantry, so I've been playing with some options but haven't come up with anything reasonable. Hoping for any design/layout insights, suggestions or advice anyone may have to offer :)

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

Why does the wall dip in beside the fridge IMO both sides of the fridge could have a pullout pantry if that dip was not thereYou have quite a walk to the sink from the fridge I am wondering who designed the kitchen. It seems to me you have an awful lot of wasted space in some places and poor planning in others . Who wants to walk by the laundry on entering your home. There are many things I would change if this was my house .The closets are very small. What is upstairs ?An office off the DR? Why not use the den space for the office.Master bath is really tiny. Sorry you could have done better.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

The dip is just to align with the stair wall. There is a broom closet in the narrower section by the fridge. Theoretically now that the stairs have been pushed back, the stair side could be moved a bit to totally align both sides. The den will become an office down the road when our children are not so small. For now, it will be a play room and the small office will be sufficient for just answering emails. Perhaps that could become a pantry when that happens. Many laundry rooms are in the side entrance, I was happy to have a room that could be closed off. The kitchen was designed by several kitchen folks at major hardware stores. Upstairs is an unfinished bonus room for now above the garage. Wasn't really hoping for a rating - more interested in the suggestions about the wasted space you mentioned. Thanks for your input.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

I think you will be happier if the path from your sink to the refrigerator is a straight line.

Layout the furniture in every room to scale.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you, Mark. The fridge/sink suggestion seems like a very reasonable change that makes a lot of sense. I have zero design skill, so I'm not 100% sure what the layout to scale means (I'm guessing just not to put too much oversized furniture). I really appreciate your response.

• dragonflywings42
    hace 5 años

Laying out furniture to scale can be a lot of fun and may help you with some of your decisions, such as how the living room will function and whether you should make your entry wall longer.

You make paper cut outs of the furniture you own (or are planning to purchase) and then you can move them around the room(s) so you can see your traffic pattern problems, etc. "To scale" means that the size of the paper cut outs should match the measurements used on the plan. For example, if there is a 10' wall and you have a 5' couch, the couch cut out would be half as long as the wall. In a perfect world, your floor plan shows the scale you should use and bonus points if it's on graph paper which makes the whole thing so much easier.

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    In addition to closing off the secondary entry to the den from living room (so there would only be the entry from the hall) I would encourage you to move the office door to the hall side. The office is right but you may be able to do an arrangement such as this:
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/19hr-contemporary-home-office-phvw-vp~158909
    You are loosing valuable floor space for key furnishings with door placement.
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    Meant to say the office is ‘tight’.
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    And the only way to know if these spaces are truly functioning for you is to have a designer do a furniture plan for you which shows your existing/new furnishings in the exact spot they will go. This will help determine exact wall and door placement. I question the small wing wall in the living room as furniture can be laid out in such a way to give a feel of ‘entry ‘ without needing that (dated IMO) wing wall.
  • Jennifer Koe
    hace 5 años

The "foyer" is a bit odd to me and seems tacked on, unnecessarily cutting a weird space into the living room to the kitchen wall that's not really a hallway and not really part of the living room. . Personally, I'd just get rid of it and use furniture to define that space. If there's no actual foyer, just own it, lol.

• PRO
    RT Studio
    hace 5 años

I think you have a bigger problem that a mere wall, the whole layout feels odd. I don't see the location of the house in the street so it's hard for me to understand the whole concept, but the entrance and the bedroom areas feel very tight and functions of the house look very far from other areas. The stair location and layout again feels so tight. I hope your architect will provide additional solutions.

• cpartist
    hace 5 años

Who designed this for you?

Which way is north?

What do the elevations look like?

What is the size of your land and your setbacks?

Is there a reason you have a 24' deep garage but only 18' wide which is not enough room for more than 1 car to get in? Maybe two as long as they are compact cars.

Your laundry room is 65" deep. A full size washer/dryer take up 30" of space or more. The leaves you with less than 3' of space in front of the washer/dryer. That's tight.

Your kitchen layout needs help. Vet it in the kitchen forum.

There is lots of wasted space between the kitchen and dining room. Why?

The living room is very small for the size of the house.

The master WIC is large enough for one person and can only have clothes hung on one wall. Minimum for a 2 wall closet is 7'.

Are you sure you're ok with the third bedroom sharing a wall with your master bedroom?

Plus that person will hear the toilet flush in the middle of the night.

The bedroom in the bottom right corner will hear the toilet flushing in the middle of the night.

Where will your bed go and is it a king sized bed?

Are you and your spouse on different wake/sleep cycles. If so, the closet being far from the bathroom will be a problem. (Ask me how I know? LOL)

Here is your design with the pathways (walkways) in red. The major problem is the area in purple because it is wasted space in a smaller home. That wasted space is about the size of your living room!

• Suru
    hace 5 años

You might want to think about getting rid of that wall in the foyer. Then move the door to the den down toward the kitchen (or leave it out altogether) and install a built in bench and hooks on that wall.

I know you already have the plumbing in place but the bathrooms all share a wall with a bedroom. Even with 2 x 6 wall and insulation, you will here the toilet flush and the water running. Maybe you could switch the closets to those walls to create a buffer.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.