Houzz Logo Print
nelida_mejia

tv/ wall cabinet dilema

Nelida Mejia
hace 5 años
I have a wall cabinet which was in the home when I purchased the home. Any recommendations on how I can adjust/add to cover the bottom of the tv?

Comentarios (26)

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

I'll echo the suggestion to just remove the unit. Hang the TV on the wall and enjoy an additional 24 square feet of floor space in your living room.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I like the suggestions. Is the a design app where I can virtually remove the cabinet to see how it would look with just a tv on the wall plus a floating small cabinet under the tv for storage of modem,etc.
  • sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Not that I know of, but honestly I can't think of any good reason to keep that piece.

I think you should empty it, have someone take it away for you. (Vietnam Vets of America, maybe?) and start a new thread with photos and dimensions of the space. There's probably an awesome layout for this room that you haven't discovered yet. Pretty exciting!

• PRO
    The Wiese Company
    hace 5 años

You can mount the TV and have and have an electrician run the wires in the wall so you don't see them. Overall I think this piece is very large for the room and the purpose it serves. It looks like a classic 80's style so if you are hoping to update; removing it and replacing it with a lighter bookcase and media center might your best move.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Have these media credenzas in mind below tv. I am looking for light and airy. Thank you for the suggestions. The biggest challenge is dismantling wall unit which seems to have been put together in place. Other suggestions are welcome.
  • sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

Those might be too high. Ideally you want the center of the TV to be at your eye level when you're seated. Perhaps something about the same height as your window sills.

• tqtqtbw
    hace 5 años

Note the length of the cabinets also. The unit needs to be longer than the TV to look right. There is a formula but I haven't memorized it.

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

tqtqtbwGood suggestion. I think it might be that the TV is 1/2 to 2/3 the width of the unit.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Tv will be on the wall.
  • tqtqtbw
    hace 5 años

The cabinet needs to be long enough whether the TV sits on it or is mounted above.

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

If you put the TV on the wall above a cabinet, the two still need to work together design-wise as if they're one. In your situation I'd probably skip the hassle of wall mount and just keep it in a stand on a proportionate console.

What are the dimensions on your TV? Or will you be buying a big one :-)

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The width of the tv is 42 inches wide.
  • Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Should we console be 84 inches plus?
  • sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

Approximately 63"-84".

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The ceilings are high
  • sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

High ceilings are more of a decor issue than a TV placement issue. I suggest some nice long, wide, high drapery to frame those windows. I wish I could draw beautiful pictures, but you'll get the idea...

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 5 años

Is your TV a 42" screen or 42" wide?

A 42" TV is 42 on the diagonal and only about 3 feet wide. At the risk of sounding like my husband who chose a 70" TV... you might need a bigger TV, Nelida.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The television is 48 inch screen what 42 inches wide.
  • Janet Mmm
    hace 5 años
    I think 72-84 would be fine.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I would recommend you remove the 80's oversized, fights with your architecture media cabinet. You can purchase a simple wall hung cabinet that will automatically hide all your cords. That will fit nicely between the two windows. It's offered in two other finishes.Even if you decide in the future to purchase a larger TV, this unit will accommodate up to 70"

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Manhattan-Comfort-City-2.2-Floating-Wall-Theater-Entertainment-Center/11818710/product.html?refccid=5LJEOKQGKUBJCG2F3G373OVWUU&searchidx=1

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    My husband would prefer a 60 plus in. TV and we would transfer the 48 in. into a bedroom to replace an older one.
  • Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    el último año

Finally we took apart the huge entertainment center, repainted the wall, and replaced with a low media center. I plan to add white see thru curtains curtains for each of the windows with panels on each side of the window or maybe some material shade treatment. Any suggestions?

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    el último año

We will also replace the tv for a larger version installed on the wall. As you see there’s still a lot of work to make that living room more comfortable for our family.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    el último año

This is how it looks now. There’s a lot of work still to be done.

• Nelida Mejia
    Autor original
    el último año

More pictures of the living room from various angles.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.