Houzz Logo Print
nazy1955

Kitchen Dilemma

nazy1955
hace 10 años
We just purchased a home in AZ. We need to update a galley kitchen, with no windows. We are trying to make sure we don't make it look any smaller.
1. Could we paint the back wall one color (thinking sienna) and the other walls in a neutral color?
2. We are thinking of having cabinets refaced. Would just adding hardware be enough to update?
3. We plan on putting in quart countertops. We are leaning toward darker beige/brown rather than a lighter color. Would this make the kitchen look even smaller?
4. We are also trying to decide on appliance color. Black or stainless?

This picture was taken while sellers were in the process of moving. Please disregard the clutter.

Comentarios (12)

• a2themanda
    hace 10 años
    What if you painted cabinets white and walls grey? Would work well with a darker quartz counters and then you could go stainless or black apps with no problem. Definitely keep it airy to allow more light to bounce.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    If there are no windows, then what's going on over the sink?

Consider removing the valance over the sink and possibly the overhead soffit. It will open up the visual width of the kitchen. This will allow you to put a better molding at the top of the cabinets.

If you paint the back wall a dark color, it will visually shorten the length of the room.

The brown quartzite tops are okay. They will provide a distinctive horizontal line that helps to emphasis length of the room. Be sure it works with your tile floor as well as the tone of your cabinets...unless you paint them. If you plan on doing a tile back splash, do not do a 4" granite splash and then tile above it. It reduces the effectiveness of the tile..

Stainless steel appliances have universal appeal and blend well with all elements in a kitchen. Both SS and Black show fingerprints, so be aware. If you are maintaining the existing cabinet layout, then a black DW next to a black refrigerator is a visual block which does nothing for maintaining a feeling of space. To help reduce that impact, I would put a matching wood panel on the DW. However, the frig is a big impact item. Also try to get a counter depth refrigerator. Not knowing what is in the wall behind the frig, you may be able to recess a new frig into the wall 4" to gain more walk-by space.

This requires some extra funds but you should reconsider your lighting. Although the center light fixture provides a lot of light, your sink and stove are always in your shadow. It would be better to provide task lighting over the sink and under cabinets to illuminate the work area. Then use recessed lights for ambient lighting throughout the kitchen with a possibility of a pendant light over the eating peninsula (depending on size of counter and proximity to wall cabinet).

There is a lot of great looking hardware out there that could add to the updating of your kitchen.
    nazy1955 agradeció a Scott Design, Inc.
  • nazy1955
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    There was a window by the sink originally. With the addition of an AZ room, the window was removed and was made into a pass trough space which seems to be what was done in the late 80's. we have discussed removing the valance over the sink.

Do you think the cabinets will look updated enough by adding hardware without refacing them? What about painting them and adding hardware?

As far as color goes I was just trying to add contrast. Do you have suggestions for paint colors?

Thanks so much for your input!
  • Kayla McClure
    hace 10 años
    If you don't paint your cabinets Sienna will pull too much red out. If you really like Sienna I would stain them a darker chocolate and countertops could be a darker or light. Definitely take the decorative piece off above the sink.

Good luck!
    nazy1955 agradeció a Kayla McClure
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I suggest you start looking at granite or quartzite slabs. There are many color variations and can be the primary source of color options for both the cabinets and the walls. Will you be doing the painting of the cabinets? If not, a refacing company can not only repaint, but can provide different door styles, replace old drawer boxes and glides as well as install roll out conveniences. This total refacing is only cost effective if the cabinet boxes are in good shape and you are pleased with the existing layout, counter space and storage potential.
  • nazy1955
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The cabinets are in excellent condition. The wood is actually very pretty so we are hesitant in painting them. We are just looking for a way to update without doing a complete makeover at a reasonable cost.
  • ruthmand
    hace 10 años
    Honestly, if you are not happy with much of anything in this kitchen I suggest you think about redoing the whole thing, that way you will get exactly what you want. By the time you resurface, paint, or whatever the cabinets, put in quartz or granite countertops (not cheap) and new lighting you are already out quite a good sum of money. Go get an estimate for new cabinets, countertops and appliances and compare. It is not that big a kitchen so it shouldn't be too expensive. With new cabinets you could probably utilize your space much better and you will be happy every time you enter the kitchen. If you have restricted mobility check into putting in mostly deep drawers in the lower cabinets. You would be amazed by the improved accessibility. No more stooping to look inside doors. Go to one of the big box stores or IKEA and take a look before you proceed.
    nazy1955 agradeció a ruthmand
  • Leslie
    hace 10 años
    Truthfully, I would paint the cabinets, even if the wood is in very good condition. They look a bit dated, and white would not only help brighten a dark space, but also contrast the color of the walls. Adding hardware will go a long way to updating the space. And I agree with many of the other posters that I would paint all the walls the same color.
  • ruthmand
    hace 10 años
    Sorry, but you posted will I was typing. Ok, you are happy with the cabinets so let's proceed from there. I would not put anything dark in this kitchen, not black appliances not dark countertops (which show every crumb anyway) unless you paint or resurface the cabinets in a much lighter color.
    nazy1955 agradeció a ruthmand
  • PRO
    Parrish Construction
    hace 10 años
    I know you like the wood on the cabinets, but the wild pattern will never look up-to-date, even with new hardware. The least expensive fix would be to paint them a light color and add new hardware. You can have them professionally done or save a lot of money and do them yourself, but use a good quality, oil-based paint and it will be durable for many years. For a little more money, you can have new doors and pull-out inserts installed, but I would only do that if you are very happy with the layout of the cabinets. I agree, the light fixture has to change and the gingerbread trim over the sink has to go. I suggest you live in the house for a while before you make any changes. You may decide there are other things about the space that also need attention.
    nazy1955 agradeció a Parrish Construction
  • PRO
    Brand Lighting
    hace 10 años
    I can speak mainly to the lighting in the room, and Scott Design has covered it pretty well. However I strongly recommend including lighting as a fundamental part of any redesign. Your current lighting will detract from any upgrades you make to the counter tops, cabinets and hardware. Adding the undercabinet lights will create much more inviting and useful workspaces. A light over the sink is a must, a recessed fixture or pendant will be great.
    nazy1955 agradeció a Brand Lighting
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.