Houzz Logo Print
lisarothgrube

Gray is dead to me. What's the next "it" color palette? #seasaltsucks

Lisa G.
hace 5 años

I'm starting to look at finishes (paint, tile, flooring, cabinets, you name it) for a kitchen and bathroom remodel we'll probably start in 2019. I've never met a trend I didn't like, and I respect the hell out of Joanna Gaines, but I'm sick of gray, white, chevron, white, subway, herringbone, griege, nail head trim, burlap, sea salt, antlers and arrows, tradewinds, more white and all things coastal hipster farmhouse. All of that is very nice looking, classy and can be downright gorgeous, but that's the only thing I'm seeing besides the usual safe beige/wheat. I'd like to do something a little more interesting. (That does not mean I'd like to go bananas and paint my ceilings high gloss navy blue and do poured concrete countertops tinted magenta.) We have a 1957 brick rancher, I have to respect its age and style, but I don't want it to look like the set of Mad Men, either. I'm kind of in limbo. It would be cheap and easy to suck it up and do the gray & white, but I'll hate myself for caving into what's easy. Who do you think will replace farmhouse, "new" MCM and coastal? Maybe I should just paint the whole thing in kerosene and accent it with a match...

Comentarios (71)

• Chessie
    hace 5 años

"Guaranteed, in 5-10 years most people will be ripping out their fake shiplap."

Honestly I never understood the attraction to that stuff.

• RaiKai
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I swear to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I have not watched HGTV in over a decade (and have never seen an episode of Fixer Upper). When I picked out finishings and furniture for my new home, I just went with what I liked, and I think it turned out pretty well (well, my husband and I like it anyway!)...though we are still waiting delivery of a few pieces of furniture and to hang some art.

Never thought it had a theme or trend at all, as I just chose based on what appealed and swatches that complimented each other, though when I had an interior designer come to measure for window coverings recently they told me it seemed very “coastal” (thankfully, not a mention of farmhouse and I don’t have shiplap, sea salt, chevron, etc though I do have a white kitchen and warm white walls!). Who knew as certainly not a “theme” I was aiming for as I never do: my wedding theme was wedding, my home theme is home, etc...

I don’t know whether she is right or wrong. It does not matter. We just liked how calm, clean, and refreshing our choices feel (especially together), and what a great canvas it will be for art as well. So whether trendy or out of trend or never a trend, we love it and will continue to love it for a long time. Decorate for yourself and what appeals to you, and you will feel at home. Not what is or is next to be trendy - that is just decorating for others who don’t have to live there.

• Chessie
    hace 5 años

" I'm willing to try almost anything with decor, but stuff gets old so quickly."

I don't even understand that statement. Are you somehow addicted to having always "new" in your house? If so, there is nothing anyone can do for you there.

If you redo with a look that you love, then why care how old it is? Or what the next HGTV cover looks like? Stop trying to identify what is "trendy". Figure out what YOU like.

• User
    hace 5 años

They say "buy what you like" and I do, but my house usually looks like it was decorated by PT Barnum.
    If you like PT Barnum, then why should it matter?
    I have always decorated our homes with things I love, not because it's something everyone else is doing. I don't want to live in their homes. Our home is fairly new, we are still finishing the interior. It's a Victorian Revival. My favorite style of furniture? Mid Century Modern. Some may find it a horrifying combo, but we love it so that's all that matters. The woodwork and such fit the style of the home as much as we could being DIYers. If we ever sell, it works.
    If you can get past worrying about what others think, or how easy it will be to sell, you'll do fine. I don't ever remember anyone before HGTV, especially since it turned into a real estate channel, wonder "will potential buyers like what I did?" They made any changes according to what they wanted.

• jhmarie
    hace 5 años

You could post a picture of the kitchen, your budget, and tell what sort of things you like, but that this is a home you will only be in a few years and get some specific advice. Give the age of the home - maybe a pic of the front and some other rooms to give a taste of the overall feel. What you want might be a basic kitchen with a great layout that can be decorated to your style, but the decor removed upon moving leaving a kitchen with good bones that many could see themselves making their own.

• Lisa G.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I should clarify: I KNOW what I like. Guilty as charged, and I know it's shameful: I am "addicted" to having fun, new, interesting, pretty things in (some parts of) my house. It's a major addiction that I'm seeking help to address. People die every day from it ;) What I wish I could know is what other people who aren't me will like when I sell my house in 5 to 7 years. I'm hoping to strike a balance between what I like (a lot of things, ergo PT Barnum), and what buyers will like. If preppy Mid-Atlantic DC area middle-class young family/first time home buyers will still like farmhouse in 5 to 7 years, than I may have to put a little bit of that into the kitchen and bath finishes (subway tile, dark rubbed bronze hardware, a farmhouse sink) when we do our remodels. That's what I'm struggling with. Striking the balance so I'm not--as another poster commented--tearing out the shiplap and adding walls back into the floor plans so the buyers won't have to make pancakes in their livingrooms.

• Lisa G.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Front of the house. We bought it in December. It's "fine" and I'm not
    messing with anything but the porch and gutters for a little while.

Before and After · Más información

Back of the house (pre-sale photo with junk in the yard.) Needs new siding, we'll add a deck with a screened in porch in a year.

Galley kitchen. Those are old turquoise metal cabinets someone spray painted brown. I don't have a pic handy of the other wall in the kitchen, but it's a 12.5 x 8 galley.

Downstairs/basement bathroom. I already painted it (temporarily) with sort of light blue paint that the previous owners left in the basement. I made a sink skirt out of an old IKEA pillowcase. It's "fine" for a year, I'm the only one who uses it when I come in from the garden covered in mud. The yellow had to go...

Here's the empty dining room before we replaced the windows. Hubby was slapping some chantilly lace white paint on all of the Dolphin Gray. Which is a paint color they did throughout the whole house (except the yellow bathroom), including the ceilings because they didn't want to deal with painting ceilings. I kind of sympathize.)

• Lisa G.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Oh. Yeah. Here's the bomb shelter entrance (it's in a corner of the basement). The exterior escape hatch from the shelter is under my giant pots in the front of the house pic.

I think it's the same slimy yellow they used in the bathroom.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Think about white! White never hurt anyone and it can go to market in the same dress!

Lisa G. agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • Lisa G.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

PT Barnum living room. It's fun but it doesn't work with a 1958 ranch. I recently (don't hate) painted the fireplace and the door. I need to do something with the mantel.

• User
    hace 5 años

I suggest you DO NOT listen to others....they will not be living in, or buying, your house. Having someone come in and do what you think others will like, would be a bit like living in a hotel.

PS I love what you've done. It clearly shows that you have a personality.

Also...a shame about the turquoise painted cabinets..that would have been fantastic!

Lisa G. agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 5 años

Lisa, your home has a lot of personality in the way you have decorated it and just the house itself. If you want to change something for you and your family, change it. Personally I'd stick to what works with the home, but if you want to make it something else then don't worry about a possible buyer down the road. Believe, there's one for almost every home no matter what it's like inside or out. It may take a bit longer to sell, so just put it on the market giving yourself that extra time for the right family to come along.
    We had deep blue carpet in our last home so we gave a flooring allowance. Our buyer was thrilled because they didn't want new builder beige carpet and this way they were given the choice. You can add other allowances too if you don't want to paint everything neutral before selling. I really think you are worrying yourself too much about a future owner.

• Jennifer Dube
    hace 5 años

Your living room is adorable!

Look, first time buyers aren't as picky as second and third time buyers. They focus more on the "bones" of a place. So you should, too. Looks to me like new windows may be in order? Make sure everything is in working order and newer.

Kitchen? I'd just do IKEA. Young first time buyers love IKEA.

Also beware as 5-7 years could stretch twice as long. That's what happened to us, with our last place. So yes, you should do what makes you happy, trends be damned.

Our last place was art deco 1910 that had been flipped in early 2000s. It had pink pickled kitchen cabs (brand new), green quartz, pink Home Depot special marble in all the baths, none of which fit the place. As a new home buyer who was thankful to not have to be renting, I had no idea these were all trends that had passed already. I just saw *new* and *clean.* I remember being so thrilled the dishwasher was quiet. (No it was not a Miele). And the refrigerator seal wasn't broken. And it didn't have disgusting W2W carpet, or that gross shower door trim that you can never get clean. I totally overlooked how tiny the rooms and closets actually were (it was shown empty).

We ended up there for 15 years despite what we thought. And halfway through we did put our own stamp on it, painting all the walls and rooms in a riot of deep rich color -- ala PT Barnum style! We had no "style" in particular. There was some stuff with nod to art deco, but most everything was thrifted or gifted or trash-to-treasured, and all was loved. Did not know Houzz or GardenWeb and never watched HGTV. Just followed our hearts (and wallets, which were skimpy as we were putting two kids through college).

Thought we'd have to re-paint everything white to sell it, but our RE agent said no. And we sold super fast. And the new owners haven't painted over the walls.

So you go ahead and do you --- and let the future take care of itself.

P.s. our new place does have a grey kitchen and grey floors -- but not because of trends. Because it fits the place, and because we are ready for a break from the riot of colors. We went neutral this time. No plans to sell any time soon (10-20 years). Totally don't give a crap what future buyers may think -- we'll be super old then maybe even dead.

Lisa G. agradeció a Jennifer Dube
  • mainenell
    hace 5 años
    It is time for the metal cabinets to go, but I would like everyone to take a moment to appreciate those cabinets. They are SIXTY! years old and except for what is probably some rust on the bottom shelves and a terrible paint job, they likely are still in pretty good condition. I have some in apartments that have ALL the original hardware (including most of the bumpers). And they were built to be completely modular. A box that you could choose doors or drawers of different depths. I am so impressed by the original workmanship and design of them and I hope that others can appreciate them too!
    Lisa G. agradeció a mainenell
  • User
    hace 5 años

I'd leave the steel cabinets. I grew up in a home with a Youngstown kitchen. Very modern. If not for the color/finish, Mom's were also turquoise, they could be very beautiful now.
    Lisa, if you keep them, think about taking them down removing the current paint and have an auto repair shop paint them.

• suezbell
    hace 5 años

Nice home. Interesting decor*. Does not look bad as is.

Keep any wood floors in any room. Don't add carpet anywhere. Seven years from now any carpet you put in this year will likely need to be replaced as you sell the home. Also, the fixed color of a carpet can limit you decorating choices.

Forget gray. For the walls, consider a medium tan or light/medium brown WITHOUT any pink or yellow hue throughout the house. Add color with your furnishings and art..

If you have a garage or attic or basement, repaint any cabinets you replace that are still in good shape and repurpose them for storage elsewhere. Alternately, there is a market for used cabinets ... or Habitat for Humanity Restore Stores would welcome a donation.

Don't see an upstairs back door so, when you add your back deck, see if you can have it built in front of the back third of the house (over the door on the left and the next two windows) -- maybe 16' deep and 20' wide so you can include a 4' wide board walk on the side of the house to reach the front porch. You could then build your flat roof screened porch ground level at the back door.

Your front porch does need a roof, preferably with a forward facing gable at least over the entry door.

Front landscaping looks good. Back landscaping could include a fence with a door and/or green fence to hide the equipment on the right side of the back and a back yard patio with step leading up to the deck above.

*Not a fan of dead animals on the wall -- but, to each his/her own. One thing you might consider to save yourself considerable nail hole wall repair work when you're about to sell: Invest in some "finish" oak plywood paneling (4'x8') sheet and frame around it with oak. Or you could back and frame each head individually.

You could hang large heavy art or mirrors with a decorative chain from eye hooks set at top of the wall plate level. You can also hang other, lighter weight, art from the top of the wall plate but use clear heavy duty fishing line -- think shark fishing.

• hazelcraddock
    hace 5 años

I liked the advice that said your home should "make you smile." I personally stick with neutrals because when I paint the kitchen walls apple green with a black table I smile but get tired of it after too short a while. So neutrals and pops of color I can change work for me. Find what you like and makes you smile. Also listen to the professional responders who know what they are talking about and back it up with photos.

Lisa G. agradeció a hazelcraddock
  • hollybar
    hace 5 años

Given your time frame,I'd forgo a major kitchen remodel. #wastingcashonaremodelsuckstoo I would get some autobody paint guys to take a look at those kitchen cabs. If they can be spiffed up at a reasonable cost,then pick the counters (simple,maybe white depends on the cab colour) and backsplash (consider backpainted glass with those cabs).

• tatts
    hace 5 años

Wow, that takes me back--bomb shelters. When I was a kid we lived outside DC (Rockville, MD) during the Cuban missile crisis and lots of people had bomb shelters (although the idea was really as laughable as getting under your desks at school). We had one all stocked in our basement.

I remember leaving the doctor's office and seeing displayed in the lot next to the parking lot 3 pre-made round/oval fiberglass models that they would bury in a hole your yard. To think that anybody thought any of it would help when the big one hit...

Lisa G. agradeció a tatts
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    hace 5 años
    your house is great and so is your decor. as for the kitchen I agree with refinishing the steel cabinets. I had a friend who had hers powder coated white and they looked amazing! simple white or light tile in the bathroom, but it doesn't have to be 3x6m I've seen some great (and cheap) over sized Subway too. A little texture is good.
  • User
    hace 5 años

Your writing is hilarious and your home has mega personality. Don't lose that!

Lisa G. agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    hace 5 años

It's good to find your baseline. What are you drawn too? When you focus on what you love, chances are your decisions will have more staying power with you. When you can make choices that are timeless- that helps as well. For example, we use a lot of subway tile- but this is a style that's been around for a long time and we happen to have always loved it. It is trendy now, but our marble subway backsplash will be something that will be classic and because I know myself, I'm confident I will still think it looks good in 10 years. (We installed it 3 years ago or more.) Just an example. I know in my own home, I always go back to a neutral palate. (I've tried bright orange walls- it was fun at the time- but never settled with me) We layer it with classic furniture, art and items from our vacations, textiles that bring texture and interest. As much as trends can be fun, we try to just stay focused on what makes us happy and what has classic elements. We've had black plaid or brown plaid for years throughout our home. We like how it is a punch against our neutral walls, it works with our camel leather sofa and works with some of our mid century pieces. It's also cozy. My point is, we pull in things that we love as a baseline and watch them go in the trendy zone and out again, but they are always classic- those that aren't still make us happy. Don't focus too much on if what you like is currently trendy or not. Yes- Chevron had its moment, but herringbone is a classic pattern- just look at pics of old Parisian apartments and the floors.
    As far as the kitchen goes- try to stay classic with elements that make you happy. White will always be in style. If you go for wood cabinets- try not to pick out something that is too orange (80's oak) , too red (90s cherry) too grey (the last several years) Try to pick something in a neutral and warm tone that highlights the wood itself. Pick a simple style. I put on some examples from pinterest that try to capture the feel of the wood- not necessarily the style. There are some beautiful paint options out there that aren't grey and are still neutral- Sherwin Williams Loggia, wool skein and warm stone.

That was a long winded answer- but it's what I always suggest. Best of luck! Stay focused on your baseline of what you always go back to and see if you can lean towards classic!

- Jen

Master bathroom · Más información

Ps- just saw your quiz result- I
    tend to think of "Old world European eclectic" as :

Lisa G. agradeció a Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
  • User
    hace 5 años

In looking at your kitchen...I would take it back to 1958, some...Get the existing cabinets stripped and redone in the original color. Look at photos on Retrorenovation....

I'm not saying to go totally, inconveniently back...but there aren't too many buyers that wouldn't walk into a retro kitchen and go "WOW!!!" in a good way. And kitchens sell houses..

As far as this quote by someone upthread:

"Also listen to the professional responders who know what they are talking about and back it up with photos."

Guess I'll bow out then since I'm not supposed to be listened too ;)

Good luck, Lisa.

Lisa G. agradeció a User
  • loves to decorate
    hace 5 años
    You. Are. Hilarious! Thanks for making me smile. But, seriously? I believe you are WAY overthinking this. If you were planning to sell your house within a couple of years, that would be one thing. But why are you giving so much consideration to what hypothetical future buyers might want, or what future trends may or may not look like, seven or more years down the road? You cannot possibly/accurately predict that far ahead, and a lot can change in that time. It is wise to consider resale value, yes, especially when you are clearly not planning to live there long-term. But I do not believe resale consideration should ever dictate your decisions, to the point that you will despise your home while you live in it. And can I just point out, you guys bought that house with the existing kitchen and bathroom, painted in colours you apparently found unappealing, so do you not think that at some point in the future, you too will find buyers for your home regardless of whatever changes you do, or do not make to it? I will concede that there are what are generally considered to be 'safer' choices, when it comes to things like cabinet styles, flooring materials and colour palettes, assuming you know the market. But, the fact is, there are no absolute guarantees and one size does not fit all. Besides, safe is for people who lack vision and/or are incapable of pulling together a generally appealing (by that, I mean a look most would at least not find offensive) and cohesive look. Judging by your living room, you definitely have some skill in that regard. So.....I suggest you trust your instincts, stop over analyzing, and go with what you love. You clearly have personality, embrace it and let it speak through in your home. I feel certain people will respond positively, good luck!
  • Kicksychick
    hace 5 años

Lisa, if you're the kind of gal who has a large styrofoam mermaid named Shelly living in your basement bathroom (absolutely awesome btw), you do not need a boring paint palette to suit future buyers. Paint your house now with what you find inspiring and enjoy it. When it's time to sell, paint everything a soft white.

Lisa G. agradeció a Kicksychick
  • arokes726
    hace 5 años
    So I think that the pictures of things you love would go great in a mid-century inspired kitchen with light-medium wood slab cabs. Think Russel Wright, or take inspiration from Yosef Alber’s “Squares” series for color choices.

I don’t mean this kitchen literally, at least not the wallpaper, but the colors are spot-on.
    Lisa G. agradeció a arokes726
  • hiccup4
    hace 5 años

If you have a blog I will read it. You are funny! Okay...to answer your question...I would take a look at Maria Killam's blog. It's a great source for choosing hard elements. Grey is fine (neutral backdrop or a couple of elements) ...grey is overdone if it's the whole damn house! http://www.mariakillam.com/blog/

Lisa G. agradeció a hiccup4
  • lizziesma
    hace 5 años

We are living in our "forever house", not my dream house but comfy. It's getting to where it looks just like we want it to. We never knowingly invite critics to dinner and our family likes to come visit. We will not win decorating awards, we have fun with our stuff, and we're not afraid to be called out-of-date, old, or silly. Our grandkids would like to move in with us. Resale value is still great and our kids will have an easy sale when we check out. Life is short, don't worry about trends or what other people think. In the end it's just stuff.

• User
    hace 5 años

I think the light in a house is key to paint color.
    IMO gray became popular because it's a cleaner alternative to the old, warm neutrals. But it can be depressing in rooms with East light ( which turns green late in the day) and North light ( which is dim all day especially in Winter). This is especially true in cloudy or far North climates ( ie. Seattle). At most an East room can do well with a colorful blue-gray and North rooms don't do well with gray at all.
    I think you should try to figure out the light direction in each individual room. A North facing room is the place to play with rich color. A room with South light needs something cooler and more restrained to cool down the heat. An East room needs a chameleon color that can adjust to bright morning light and dim afternoon light. West facing rooms have the most leeway and do well with most colors.
    For years I had a North facing room painted a terra cotta color, which is very out of fashion, but it was the only thing that brought any life to the room.
    The color story of a house should be complementary, but each room is going to want its own type of color.

I would suggest looking at the Benjamin Moore "Historical Colors" and "Affinity" series. Both have a variety of colors which are neither too dull nor too extreme ( think sage green, plum-gray, soft creamy ivory, light blue ). And both series look nice in old houses. I have several Historical Colors colors in my own 1931 apartment.

Lisa G. agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 5 años

Benjamin Moore Historical Colors

Benjamin Moore Affinity colors

• cpartist
    hace 5 años

I managed to sell my condo for top dollar two years ago. Not a hint of grey in the place and in fact the only beige walls (BM Manchester Tan) was in my studio because I like keeping the walls of my studio somewhat neutral. Otherwise, my walls were BM Wilmington Tan in the main rooms. a richer deeper tan in the master bedroom (forgot the name but it matched the bamboo feature wall), BM Fernwood Green in the guest bedroom and a dark red in the powder room.

All the colors coordinated and the main colors were neutral enough to not offend.

Start by figuring out what colors YOU like and then work from there. If you create a tastefully designed home (which it looks like you're well on your way to doing. Love your living room!), it doesn't matter what colors you choose as long as they are not in your face colors. So if like me you like Fernwood Green and Wilmington Tan (what I painted most of my new house) then use those colors. If you prefer blues, find one you like. If you prefer yellows, find a soft yellow that works for you. If white is your thing, find one that works for you.

And don't be afraid to add a pop of color in a guest bedroom or a powder room.

Lisa G. agradeció a cpartist
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    hace 5 años

What's next? Could this be coming back? It's on Calico Corners latest mailer.

• Chessie
    hace 5 años

Just no.

• suezbell
    hace 5 años

You might consider painting your mantel black or swapping it out for a board w/a dark natural wood finish.

Lisa G. agradeció a suezbell
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

Find someone to powder coat the kitchen cabinets as suggested, I think they would look fab redone. Dont worry about when/what if, live in the now & enjoy your space.

• redsilver
    hace 5 años

Your den colors are great. If you like that, continue on thru the house and tie each area back to one or 2 coordinating den colors and a neutral.... I say that because once I was in a very nice home built in the 70's. The architect designed it in the Modern Realm I guess but wanted to make it special. The lady of the house picked an Asian theme touch. I say touch, because that is what it was. The brick over the nice range was styled in that theme. The tile backsplash at the time, behind a formica countertop of gold/yellow and a bit darker stained cabinets, was white and every 3 feet or so?? in the center of that backsplash was one handpainted tile with a handheld fan, an oriental flower, a pretty parasol with cherry blossoms, etc. The white tiles with white grout were just simple, except for the handpainted tiles..of the same 3x3 size I suppose.. She had some kitchen accents, spoon rest, canisters, teapot on the stove, etc... of that theme too. IT was nice and colorful, red, pink, black, gold, yellows, just a special kind of kitchen I guess for the time. They had an eat on island with a pretty oriental light pendant style above it. The primary colors, with the brick, stained wood, and I think even the floors were probably Armstrong or Congoleum in a complimentary, not busy pattern. You could do that handpainted highlight of a tile, on a backsplash with your states' wildflower, or flag, or bird or whatever. They are doing some beautiful work with art in Mosaics at Pier 1 on sale this week. The Tree of Life, the beautiful styled of all matter of fauna, or peacocks, and other birds are so beautiful!! Maybe there is some kind of art, or theme of a region or your local area or your families history, or a dream vacation destination(we can dream>>LOL) that would wake up in your mind something to take you in a direction? I love your writing. I so enjoyed reading all the ideas and comments that folks have shared! Love your home, too!! Good luck in all ways.

• Lisa G.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Good lord, you're all fantastic. Am I overthinking it? Yes. Can I make a universe out of a couch? YES. Small steps have been made, we met with some kitchen remodeling folks to start getting a sense of costs to do a strictly middle-class remodel. It's an 8x12 galley. No walls removed or added, we want to flip flop the location of the icky electric stove and fridge, we'd be doing porcelain tile floors/cabs/basic wall tile and lighting. Estimate came back at $30 freaking K. That's the quote for Fabuwood frost white shaker (I guess I don't get another color choice), mid-grade MSI quartz counters (they said anything white would cost more), a US$250 allowance for hardware/knobs, and a US$5.50 per sq ft allowance for floor & wall tile done in a brick or straight pattern. I'm just...I can't even. I'm just gonna keep collecting paint chips until my heart rate drops, which should be sometime in June 2019.

• redsilver
    hace 5 años

REally, look at a Formica counter top. Not a pre formed one, but one in sheets installed where the cabinets are sitting. Really. So many pretty patterns and white tooo.... buy your own knobs online, watch for sale, clearance sales at big box stores. ..look into some of that high quality vinyl wood look flooring in the strips....you can beat the prices they just gave you. And have a lovely kitchen.

• User
    hace 5 años

Keep the cabs keep the cabs keep the cabs.

Did I suggest that you keep the cabs?

• Therese R
    hace 5 años

Lisa G- too funny! Definitely made me smile. (agree with OP, too). time to Houdini out of the straight jacket-

• kay kin
    hace 5 años

a lot of comments on this post- but YAY YOU!! i, too, am sick/tired of gray & subway tile. (especially when i searched for a baby gift & newborn clothes were gray!!) i have seen emerald green, to pink to purple as the 'new IT color, shape, design.' know it is a marketing ploy so we buy more. stainless appliances in, and out. i personally think white appliances will come roaring back, along with 4" sq tile. point being, do not worry about trends. choose your own color that makes you happy. i like black & red, other's opinions be damned.

• partim
    hace 5 años

When I did renovated my house in 1996, my decorator had an interesting perspective. Her theory is that you we cannot avoid being influenced by trends. People say they like certain
    things, but why do so few like avocado green and harvest gold?

If you are putting your money into things that you want to last, like a kitchen, the best you can do it look to see what is coming up, in a very general way. Many design trends come from overseas, and new looks often come from Europe and the UK. Today, that would be wood and flat front cabinets. Look at the featured kitchens in, for example, Smallbone in the UK, or Poggenpohl.

• User
    hace 5 años

You can definitely do better on that Kitchen quote with Ikea cabinets and butcher block countertops.
    Ikea has two real wood doors that would look nice in an old house: Torhamn and Lerhyttan. They also have a veneer door, Ekestad, that looks MCM-ish.
    You'd probably be looking at $4000 for Torhamn /Lerhyttan cabinets and $1000 for the butcher block.
    You might also want to look at Barker Cabinets, a line of custom made, ready to assemble wood cabinets for reasonable prices ( that's what I'm planning on using for my own kitchen).
    You can look up "Half Classic Six" blog for an example of a nice kitchen done with Barker. Barker would probably be $6000-$8000 depending on which door style and how many drawers vs. doors.
    Ikea Torhamn

• User
    hace 5 años

Ikea Lerhyttan:

Ikea Vadholma open storage ( meant to go with Lerhyttan)

• User
    hace 5 años

A kitchen done with Barker Cabinets from Devyn's "Half Classic Six" blog.

• Chessie
    hace 5 años

$250 for hardware? “Anything white costs more “??

Find a different company. That’s absurd.

• User
    hace 5 años

FWIW I had an old metal built in hamper circa 1931 I refinished myself. I removed the yucky old paint with paint stripper and then painted it with Rustoleum enamel for metal matching the original color.
    This might be an option if you want to keep your old metal cabinets but can't afford to have a auto body shop refinish them.

• User
    hace 5 años

• User
    hace 5 años

It might be worth it to take down one of the old metal wall cabinets, strip the yucky brown paint, and paint it with blue metal enamel. Just as an experiment to see what the end result looks like and how much work is involved. ( I don't like spray paint. Too hard to control and too thin. I used a Purdy brush and the oil based enamel in a can when I repainted my metal hamper.)

Maybe add some of the MCM pulls and knobs D. Lawless Hardware sells for $2 ( none of that $250 hardware allowance nonsense).

If you end up liking the DIY results you could be looking at a considerably less expensive kitchen renovation.

• User
    hace 5 años

Research costs nothing really...call a few auto body shops to get a guestimate and see it they'll attempt it and what you have to contribute to the job.

If you really detest the retro look, Ikea will be your next best bet. They use a rail system that the cabs screw onto, so once you have the layout done the way you want it, and the rail DEAD LEVEL, you're good to go. Look at their online planning tool and see what you can come up with...it should give you a total cost once you've decided on a door style (the boxes are basic and just the size matters on those)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.