Houzz Logo Print
kaydeenft

off centered fireplace makeover

kaydeen
hace 5 años
hi creative geniuses!! I'm redoing our small living room. we've decided the 55" TV will be mounted above the off centered fireplace. but I need help on how to design this focal wall. I think building shelving with wallpaper backing would be nice (see inspiration picture) . NOTE: flooring will be a mocha oak.

Comentarios (26)

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    another view of the room
  • Bev
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Shelving or just a regular built in that fills up the space will work beautifully! I suggest building a unit that will house your TV as well, like this:

Your TV would be too high to watch if you have it as high as above the FP!

Urban Townhome Living Room · Más información

• Sonya Maes
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I have a similar fireplace. At one point we had the tv atop the mantel and eventually moved it lower to sit next to the fp because it was too high, and it does hurt your neck after awhile.

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sonya did you update you fireplace? I find the stone work is too large for the "furnace" area. I need to update the fireplace but no ideas yet :(
  • shwshw
    hace 5 años

Agree with Sonya, I think it would be best to have the TV to the right of the fireplace. A built-in including the TV in the area to the right would look great!

• luckey85
    hace 5 años
    We have had our tv over the fireplace and it is fine....sometimes it is the only place that it can go. I also love symmetry and would find it mildly distressing to have two focal points. I do not find it causes neck issues, we are major slouches tho, put our feet up on the ottoman and are leaning back in our super comfy couch so we are already looking up at the tv.
  • kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    luckey85 yours looks beautiful!! I feel I can only go above the fireplace because my TV's so large. 55". also we are major slouchers too ;)
  • chloebud
    hace 5 años

kaydeen, the center of your TV should be about eye level when you're seated. However, whatever works well for YOU is good. We have a wall in our family room that's about 12' wide. Half that space is a console with the TV, and the other half is built-in shelving with cabinets below. Fireplace is on another wall. Anyway, I think shelving might work out nicely for your open wall space.

• clmcolonial
    hace 5 años
    Our tv is above our fireplace and it doesn’t hurt our necks. Having too many focal points or not having symmetry would bother me. I love the idea of shelving to the right and the large tv above the fireplace. The mantel doesn’t look too high for the tv.
  • PRO
    Johnson2
    hace 5 años
    Kaydeen you are going to have a proportion problem- the area you are thinking for a built in looks to be about 48”, too small for tv. A built in all the way to ceiling with art above mantle and wallpaper behind shelves would look great. Have you considered putting that large tv on the long wall.? Your couch could go under the window etc.
  • Sonya Maes
    hace 5 años

Mine has a hearth about a foot tall and my plan is to lime wash it and attach a hollow wood mantel over the existing stone. When I say similar I mean the assymetry. Whats your planned style for the house? I'm no expert by any means, I've just looked at every pin on "assymetrical fireplace" and majority I see are from the 50's. I love symmetry, so the centered fireplaces are so divine but I'm learning the ways of assymetrical symmetry if that's a term.

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Kate I would love to move the TV to the long wall.. unfortunately, that wall is a part of the hallway, from one end of the house to the next. so there'd be too much traffic along that wall
  • PRO
    Johnson2
    hace 5 años
    And we all know a smaller TV is never an option...sigh
  • Sonya Maes
    hace 5 años

So is making the surround smaller an option?

• Sonya Maes
    hace 5 años

I hope a design pro comes along any time now!

• Sonya Maes
    hace 5 años

Not sure if these help at all. Theyre not farmhouse like your inspo but maybe the surround shoul be made smaller to accommodate a larger tv and shelves.

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    well, my final option is to close up the fireplace all together. we won't use it (we have a bonfire pit in the backyard). so I'm thinking removing the stone , closing it off, be and building a beautiful shelving area to house the TV is my best bet
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 5 años

Do a built in bookcase, the same height as the mantel on the fireplace. Place the TV over the fireplace and then a print, or pictures, etc. over the bookcase and then fill the bookcase.

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    wow!!! thank you so much! I appreciate that visual. FYI: the width of the stone mantel is 73 inches wide DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE STONE. CLOSE OFF THE HEARTH ENTRANCE. AND BUILD A BOOKSHELF ON THAT WALL? IT IS GOING TO BE VERY EXPENSIVE TO REMOVE THE HEARTH AND FIREPLACE. CAN WE JUST COVER IT UP?.
  • kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Jesse and Hallie that looks really beautiful. you've given me a hope :) what do you think about my second option? to board up the hearth, remove the stone, and build a bookcase in front of it. much cheaper alternative than taking out the entire fireplace... I just don't know if it can/should be done
  • PRO
    Jesse & Hallie Jaynes-Tybee LLC
    hace 5 años
    If you don’t like having a fireplace than yes you can remove it:board it up. We wanted to keep the chimney as it was part of our exterior design and added value where we live so we converted it to a gas insert, much cleaner and more value. You should have a chimney company make sure you can cap it and cover it without having to remove the whole chimney which is expensive.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 5 años

Even if you don't use the fireplace I would keep it. It adds value when you go to sell the house.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

A side note, if you are changing the flooring, make sure you have enough tile on the floor in front of the firebox. You can't run hardwood right up to it.

• liz_fb
    hace 5 años

Kayden, for possible resale, I wouldn't take away the fireplace. It adds so much to a home. I think the built-in idea would work great next to your fireplace.

Or a makeover of the entire wall like in the photos below.

• kaydeen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I really appreciate the last photos!! thank you. I now have inspiration
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.