Houzz Logo Print
illy_billy51

Basement gym insulation

Illy Billy
hace 5 años

I've spent hours on the web trying to find the answer to my question and I cannot seem to find any info on it, so if someone can please lead me into the right direction, that'd be much appreciated.

I have a room that I want to turn into a basement gym.

1-1 wall is external wall

2-opposite to that is a wall that is under the garage, so I'm guessing we call that external

3-1 wall is touching the cold room (has a door)

4-1 wall is internal, which also has the doors to this gym

no windows

The walls are just simple grey cinder blocks on all sides except for the internal wall.

Initially I was thinking of insulating the two external walls. Then I thought the cold room wall might be bringing too much cool. Then I read that to properly insulate, you should insulate all 4 walls.

I've also read that you want a gym to be fairly cool, making me question why I would even want to insulate the walls at all.

So if anyone who has experience in basement gyms and insulation can shed some light on this matter, that would help me greatly and possibly others as well in the future.

Much appreciated!

Illy

Comentarios (10)

• Illy Billy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

seems like only 1 wall pic got posted... I'll try adding the other 3

• Illy Billy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

It's never too late Darin. (Haven't had time to finish the gym yet :D)

Thanks for your input!

• PRO
    Darin Daniels
    hace 5 años

Your welcome.

• Marilyn B
    hace 5 años

Hi, Illy. I am a personal trainer and I do workout myself in my cellar and I do train a few clients there. I am not qualified in anyway as a contractor or HVAC pro.

Darin is right that optimal gym temp is around 68 to 72 degrees.

Is your space a personal gym for you?

I have a twin, so one concrete wall separates the two basements. My other walls are exterior walls. I didn’t add any insulation or framing. I painted my walls and floors. In the summer I do use a dehumidifier, set at 50% and I empty it about every two weeks.

My clients and I are comfortable year round. We may sweat a little more in the summer than in the winter. By the time we warm up in the winter, we don’t notice any chill. All-in-all, we feel it is fairly consistent.

Illy Billy agradeció a Marilyn B
  • Illy Billy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for the feedback!

Going with insulating exterior walls to maintain a steadier temperature.

• Rawketgrl
    hace 5 años

Make sure the ventilation system can monitor and reduce humidity if needed... 40-60% is a good number for basements. I live in a wet area so this is important. However if you live in the desert it might not be. I would also want a way to get some kind of fresh recirculating air every once in a while.

• Marilyn B
    hace 5 años

Glad someone revived this thread. During the coldest parts of the winter I did use a space heater that claims to measure the temp. At times it displayed 55 degrees when I switched it on. Clearly you can workout at temps besides 68 but just be aware that hypothermia and heat exhaustion onset vary with temperature changes.

• Illy Billy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks again guys,

I'm planning on adding an HVAC return that will help recirculate the air, and have already installed a bathroom fan. Also, have two supply runs already. Hopefully I can easily regulate the return & supplies to modify the temperature to the correct values.

The foam is doing a great job at maintaining the temperature.

• PRO
    Darin Daniels
    hace 5 años

Looking good Illy Billy!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.