Houzz Logo Print
ruhappy69

Log cabin sand blasting

Victor
hace 10 años
I fear the only course of action I can take on getting my cabin to where it needs to be for restaining is to sand blast. I reached out to the only cob/soda blasters within 2 hours of the cabin and their estimates were through the roof high. Since I cannot rent a cob blaster seemingly anywhere a sand blaster is the only readily available option. The cabin is hard old Chestnut no I'm not too worried about tearing up the wood like if it were Fir or Pine but anyone have some advise or pointers for me? What size compressor would I need?

Comentarios (25)

• missyrichter
    hace 10 años
    I'm needing the same info for my log cabin.
  • Fred S
    hace 10 años
    I've seen people pay good money to try and get a patina like that on a log cabin. Why would you want to start over?
  • Victor
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    because it looks terrible..
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    To me, it just looks like a lovely log cabin ! What sort if finish are you aspiring to ?!?! Are there other cabins, with the finish you like, in your area ?! If there are, why not ask them who refinished their homes for them ?!?!?? Fingers crossed for you !! :-)
  • Victor
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We'd like to strip it down to bare wood because the previous owners neglected it so much. Then figure on a semi transparent stain - not too dark - not too light. I'm just hoping that someone with sand blasting knowledge helps answer my question.
  • Scott Andrews
    hace 10 años
    See attached for some info from the guys we get our blasting stuff at work from.
    Not sure how the wood will come up if you sandblast it? I'd be wanting to do a trial on a sample piece of wood before you go to any fuss about arranging a blaster I'd think.
  • Kathy
    hace 10 años
    Just a thought... Maybe you could paint trim and let wood logs age.
  • Victor
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The cabin is chestnut so its a really hard wood but the outside probably hasn't been touched in 15-20 years.. I can rent the sand blaster at a local hardware store with a compressor plus buy the sand aggregate easy enough. I'm just not sure of the results but one thing is for sure it can't make the logs look worse.. The tricky parts will be the peak areas and staying away from the windows because the sand will cause issues there where the soda blasting or cob blasting wouldn't...
  • missyrichter
    hace 10 años
    When i watched them corn cob the neighbors, they wrapped up the winows pretty good because they said they would break. Also, one of the blasters that gave me an estimate said they would use hard grit and it gave the aealant something to adhear to but the others all said that they sanded the entire house after the blasting so that there are not any pits and indentions. Ive never seen one sand blasted my brother pressure washed my mothers log home in TX and it took everything off instanty and it was free and easy,then it dried super fast before they sealed it and armour guarded it for bugs...im so far north that i cant use water because it wont dry even here in the cold summers and the outside molds and im afraid the water would go through the walls between my logs since the exterior is so bad. I have no idea what type of wood ours is. Whatever you choose to do...let me know if it works and ill try it..lol.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    The cob blasted ones I've seen look great!
  • PRO
    Mackay Painting and Finishing
    hace 9 años
    Victor-I just now saw your thread, and perhaps you've already completed your project. If not, perhaps I can help a bit. If you're considering renting a compressor and blast pot, you're a serious DIYer. Excellent. You should be concerned with damage that can occur with sand media (as you indicated you are). Perhaps you're not aware that you can blast with corn cob grit with a standard blast pot that can be rented...it's not specialized equipment. Simply substitute cob grit for your media, and away you go, incapable of doing damage to glass, window trim, etc. I pay about $29.00/100lbs of cob grit, which is more than crushed glass (another popular blast media for log homes), but you can come out well as captured cob grit can be used a couple of times before needing to be trashed. From the looks of your home, I'd say you could spend about $250.00-$300.00 for the cob grit, and rent a compressor and blast set up for 2-3 days, and be done with it.

Hope this helps.
  • loriewpg
    hace 8 años

I lived in a small log house. I sanded the logs myself using a belt sander and 9 inch grinder. Get the family together....and it can be done on a weekend. Just need to wear masks.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Victor, if you're still considering blasting, but are worried about how it will look, I have several pictures on my website, including close ups, of log homes I've blasted.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Oh, one more thing. There are dangers to vegetation with soda blasting. One, it leaches chlorophyll from plants, including grass. This will cause green vegetation to turn brown, but the green color will come back in a few weeks. The greater danger is that if it comes in contact with plant roots, it prevents the roots from being able to absorb water. That, of course, will kill the plant. IMO, corn cob grit is the best solution. We do soda, cob grit, sand, and crushed glass. When doing log homes, we use cob grit exclusively.

• Victor
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Mackay, appreciate the advice. You are in NC correct? I think I am pushing the blasting to next spring. We just put a new roof on the house and there is some landscaping stuff I want to do with river stone and top soil this spring. I got one quote from a guy that does cob blasting of cabins for $4500 cash which I thought was pretty high for such a small house. Granted there will need to be some scaffolding but still. I def have to do some minor wood rot repair this spring and some chinking repair. I definitely need to get this done though one way or another.

• tjw319
    hace 8 años

Crushed recycled glass is by far the best media for blasting log homes. New age blast media is the brand I use. While media blasting is a great option I would never recommend trying to blast your log home with no experience. You are literally reprofilling the exterior of you home and you must do everything evenly. Hitting any one area more of less will make what I call hot spots and they will be very apparent when stained. You should mask all windows and have a helper shield trim and other milled wood as they will be severely pitted. Use tarps to capture the media and stain that is removed. Then you need to sand using a variable speed grinder. Use Osborn brushes to remove felting or Buffy pads to remove stain still left behind. If you really need help and want to get the work done right pay someone. I work on log homes in Colorado but I'm sure there's reputable companies closer to you

• PRO
    Log Home Finishing LLC Thomas Elliott
    hace 7 años

We've been media blasting, staining, and chinking log homes in Colorado for 15 years. Media blasting is usually just one step in the process. You need a high volume low pressure compressor such as a 185 Sullair http://loghomemaintenance.com

• PRO
    TruLog Siding
    hace 7 años

Another alternative, new to the market, is go over your current logs with a maintenance-free, steel log siding. No more maintaining your home! Check it out: www.trulogsiding.com

• Thomas Elliott
    hace 7 años

How would putting siding on top of logs pass fire code? We have had many customers suggest this over the years only to be shot down by local building departments. A wall over a wall cause a backdraft in fire situations like the Kevin Kostner movie Backdraft....

• PRO
    TruLog Siding
    hace 7 años

Hi Thomas, thank you for your question. I dont know the specific answer to your fire code question. We have had numerous people install our steel log siding over their current log home structure without push back from fire code. The steel log siding is more fire resistance than a stained a log home, thats for sure. Our theory is that homes with steel will have a better chance against fires vs traditional log homes. Now, if the fire is strong enough, it will blow the windows out of a home and burn it from the inside out, cant get around that. This is from our experience

• PRO
    S&E Cabin Log Home Services
    hace 9 meses

www.cabinloghome.com

we do afordable log home restoration,we also use corn cob media blast

Visit our website for more info

Victor agradeció a S&E Cabin Log Home Services
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.