Houzz Logo Print
caroline_cox19

Door Colour for 1970's red brick house

Caroline Cox
hace 5 años

We are looking to change the front door and frame of our 1970's property. We'll also probably add a canopy porch over the doorway to make the house look less flat. We currently have a soft wood door in a mid oak colour with a UPVC white frame (1st two photos). We've been considering composite doors, but are finding it difficult to choose the colour and style. We think the colour of the current door compliments the property. But does a darker walnut colour (photo 3) look more contemporary? Or do we stick with the mid oak colour (photo 4) or go with something more classic (photo 5). We'd appreciate your thoughts.

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    K interiors
    hace 5 años
    Hello,

Your front entrance door colour is somewhere you can express a bit of personality ! I would always go for a colour, if you go to kinteriorsuk on Instagram or Facebook on Ask Kay on Wednesday I posted tips for front door colours recently. A canopy and some plants/baskets/pots to complement the colour chosen would look nice Of the 5 photos you posted if I had to choose one of them it would be the last one. Hope this helps.
    K
    Caroline Cox agradeció a K interiors
  • artisan_1
    hace 5 años
    From your short list, I would go for the black if you want a more contemporary look.
  • A B
    hace 5 años
    Could you paint your current door? Maybe a dark mustard colour?
  • Caroline Cox
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The combination of UPVC frame and wooden door isn't ideal. So we need to replace the whole frame and door.

• A B
    hace 5 años
    What will the frame be with the black door? The white at least ties in with your windows
  • Caroline Cox
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

We'd have a white frame with the black door, I think a black frame would be too harsh.

• jbtanyderi
    hace 5 años
    The darker walnut makes a flattering difference. Investigate the cost of shallow arched glass canopy two feet wider than the current opening and extending three to four feet from the front of the house.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 5 años
    Match the canopy arch to the current brick arch.
  • E D
    hace 5 años

Maybe it's due to the mockups, maybe it's because it's a clash of styles or maybe it is because there is no canopy, but my thoughts are that the original door (and frame) suits the house better than the composite doors with the large handle.

You have a lovely house and unless you want to change the exterior more extensively, I don't think changing the door improves the look.

As suggested, some more planting, in pots or otherwise will probably do a better job and you can always give the current door more of a statement colour. Easy enough to change if it doesn't have the desired effect.

• Caroline Cox
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for all your comments. We'd love to be able to just paint the current door, but we've been told that the combination of UPVC frame and wood door possibly wouldn't be covered on our insurance policy in case of a break in. As the frame is not a standard size, both the frame and the door need to be replaced.

• PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 5 años

I've not read all the post above but your bricks are "Heathers" that's your starting point for me, dark heather tones

• E D
    hace 5 años

Interesting, Exploit. Does that mean purple like colours?

• PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 5 años

I would say so, look closely at the brick you'll see some nice flecks of purples, reds, grey / purples. Our home is built from Heathers, we went for an F&B light green I'm not sure it was the right choice but the big white border didn't help. Think moorland / heather /peat and you can't go too far wrong

Jeeessss! need to paint that door again this summer!

Caroline Cox agradeció a Exploit Space
  • PRO
    K interiors
    hace 5 años
    There is a fabulous colour from The Little Green company called adventurer which is a deep aubergine - thinking along the heather tones.
    Caroline Cox agradeció a K interiors
  • PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    hace 5 años

This article may help you make your decision:

http://bit.ly/how-to-choose-the-right-colour-for-your-front-door

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Thanks, Robyn

• Caroline Cox
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

So we took everyone's comments on board and have decided to go for the more traditional style of front door with leaded glass in the door and chrome furniture. We'll also put in some planting to soften the front. We're going to have a composite door but this does restrict our colour choice. So which do you think works best? White, slate or light grey? The first 2 photos are our existing door.

• E D
    hace 5 años

Well done making a decision.

If you really want to match your door to the bin, then go for slate :-)

I'm not sure about the blue tint of the glass next to the white and the slate door, or is that by accident?

• Caroline Cox
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The blue tint is an accident - it just looks like that on the door manufacturers mock up. The glass will be normal privacy glass.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.