Houzz Logo Print
edaehnicksubs

How to Make Large Front Windows Really Pop?

Ellen
hace 5 años

We're renovating our small commercial building with a Texas farmhouse inspiration*, and it's time to decide how to set off the front windows. We have 2 on the front, and they are 84" wide by 72" tall. Things I've considered:

1. Shutters: a designer I worked with suggested black shutters on either side of the windows. I love the idea, but because the windows are so wide, I fear that any shutters that would fit would be too thin to look in proportion.
  2. Awnings: either standing seam (like new mansard) or fabric (with or without a valance): now that the new mansard covering is up, I can really see the 16" clearance from top of window frame to soffit. I'm concerned that awnings might look too heavy and bunched up, like the building is wearing very heavy false eyelashes.

I'm attaching a photo of where we are today - the metal on the mansard is still under construction, and the parking lot hasn't been re-striped yet etc, but you can see the overall effect. And I'm including a before picture, because I think those are always fun!

Thanks for your thoughts, advice and inspiration,

Ellen

*We operate a Texas food spot here. Sadly, getting rid of the mansard wasn't in the budget, so we've opted to cover it with standing seam metal in a weathered charcoal.

Comentarios (17)

• Sammie J
    hace 5 años

I like the new roof, but can't picture shutters on the building. I hope someone can photoshop some awnings!

Do you have space to push out the concrete stops from the sidewalk to allow more walking room? If so, I'd add some big pots of plants/flowers to give the space some life, and paint out the trim to match the pots.

Ellen agradeció a Sammie J
  • PRO
    Bonhambuilt International Design
    hace 5 años

How about a couple of window boxes with some wrought iron detailing planted with a carefully arranged selection of flowers and greenery

Ellen agradeció a Bonhambuilt International Design
  • njmomma
    hace 5 años

I don't feel you need shutters or awnings. Leave as is. Big Ole Texas Star as mentioned above.

Or a metal saying, something different.

You have the room to do something special there.

Ellen agradeció a njmomma
  • Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi Sammie - thanks! Yes, we will put the concrete stops back out on the blacktop. We moved them up onto the sidewalks for crack sealing and re-striping. And I agree with you on flowers.

• Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Bonhambuilt International Design - you read my mind, I'm pricing out long planter boxes for under the windows!

• Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hey decoenthusiaste - a star! I hadn't even thought about that - what a good idea. Thank you!

• Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks njmomma!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

You're welcome!

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

awnings on each window..... will not be as much function and it would be appeal.

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

Perhaps some long more narrow planters on the ground with low flowering plants that work well in your area? The colors were just selected and mocked up. There was no intent for specific colors.

• Porter Edun
    hace 5 años

sorry, wanted to add some plants...

Good luck!

• Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you Porter! Mockups are so helpful - I really appreciate your ideas and skill!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

IMO there is no space for awnings with that roof line and certainly no shutters I love the idea of custom window boxes that fir the whole window . Plant them with seasonal plants and do something on the wall between the windows. Some really great lighting at night. A wall mural would be kind of fun in that space .

• Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks Patricia - I appreciate your recommendations!
  • Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi everyone - thought you'd like to see the finished result. Thanks for your suggestions!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.