Houzz Logo Print
robin_ming

Open Floor Plan Area Rug Dilemma - Statement Wallpaper and Sofa

Robin Ming
hace 5 años

Hi!

so....I have this AWESOME wallpaper and a totally rad sofa. My "family room" where we spend the most time watching TV has the sofa in it. Just next to that room, we have an area that is open and contains a fireplace. This area has ALWAYS given me heart palpations because I am never certain of how to set it up exactly so that it flows with the family room and make it look like it is part of that space but still has a feel of it's own as well - do you get me?

anyway, I have a very neutral jute area rug under the green sofa which I THINK works letting the sofa and wallpaper do their thing. The BIG QUESTION....what the heck kind/style/color of area rug can I do in front of this fireplace with my chairs

that looks great, flows with the family room Jute AND pulls everything together without competing with say....the wallpaper? ANY suggestions are welcome! Nothing that is in the "fireplace room" in my photos needs to stay. Again, looking to pull everything together and what is in that space now is NOT (in my opinion) doing that!

(pay no attention to the stair carpet...that is changing soon!)

Thanks for your help all!!

Comentarios (8)

• eld6161
    hace 5 años

I agree with Elle. You have enough stars of the show between the wallpaper and the green sofa.

Robin Ming agradeció a eld6161
  • Robin Ming
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Elle! I hadn't thought of pulling in the forest green. you are right, doing another jute (or similar) rug in that area IS the best way to pull it together! I don't know why when I am working on my own space - I cannot be decisive (or logical for that matter :-) ) about things...it is SO weird!!

• Geneviève
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

If I were you I would remove everything from the room and start over, the wallpaper looks great and very tropical therefore the Americana décor doesn't work with it , you need to follow the wallpaper who is the dominant one , the sofa is fine but not the brown chair , paint the wall where the fireplace is white and get a rug the same colour of the green in the wallpaper or sofa .

Project - Tropical House · Más información

Robin Ming agradeció a Geneviève
  • Laura HaHe
    hace 5 años

I think your room looks amazing! Come one over and decorate my house next lol! I agree with the suggestion on a jute rug. I would also add something green by the fireplace to pull it together with the rest of the room

Robin Ming agradeció a Laura HaHe
  • PRO
    Christopher Simmonds Architect
    hace 5 años

Love your furniture and wall paper!

I think painting the fireplace wall white would really help brighten the space and let the wallpaper be the main focus. It would also tie in with the white chairs and bench, and the natural fibre rugs for a crisp, beachy look. I would position the bench between the two spaces so that you could sit on it from either side, and get a coffee table for in front of the fireplace, I think that would help unite the plan. Also, consider removing the hide rug, as it doesn't quite go with the tropical theme.

-M

Robin Ming agradeció a Christopher Simmonds Architect
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 5 años

Is the bench in front of the fireplace small enough to fit on either side of the fireplace under the window? If so, put it there and get a matching one so you have benches on both sides. If not, get two benches that fit. That lounge chair/ottoman combo to the right of the FP feels out of place and isn't part of the conversation area. I would find another home for it.

This arrangement has the added benefit of not blocking one's view of the FP from across the room. I agree with continuing the jute rug and removing the hide rug from that area. I would add some throw pillows for the white chairs that have more of your sofa's chartreuse color in order to tie the two spaces together. If the bench is moving, you now have room for a small, low coffee table in front of the chairs. Lastly, the accent wall color you've chosen is lovely, but doesn't really coordinate with the wallpaper. I would have picked up one of the lighter greens from the wallpaper to pull it all together.

Robin Ming agradeció a Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • User
    hace 5 años

I would just remove the white rug and leave the hide rug there...

Robin Ming agradeció a User
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.