Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_29638998

Ivory Fantasy Granite - love new kitchen but hate granite

User
hace 5 años

Had a very expensive kitchen with beautiful painted cabinetry fitted - but made huge mistake with granite - is it possible to remove the granite without causing too much damage to the cabinets??

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Pineapple Interiors
    hace 5 años

It depends very much on how it has been fixed, it will usually with adhesive though. You certainly want to make sure that you protect the doors and remove any drawers. Were your kitchen units painted on site? In which case you should still presumably have some touch up paint which could be used to repair any potential damage caused. If the kitchen was expensive, then I would suggest going back to the supplier and telling them that you love the kitchen but are really not happy with the granite. Hopefully they are able to offer a solution, if not then please let us know if your require any further options with regards work surfaces. Many Thanks. Louise

User agradeció a Pineapple Interiors
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

Can you not consider finding a way to make it work by tweaking other things such as paint colours? Have you got a photo?

User agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Danmar Kitchens & Interiors
    hace 5 años

Normally the worktop would be floating just because of the size and weight , island more probably glued , but if you post pictures of the job , then helps a lot to be able to comment . The adhesive would be on the up stands , then a small silicone bead to up-stand join, and resin joint for the worktop joins meeting each other but they will only sit in around 7-10 mm of that join . Just ask the firm who fitted it , to take out , if you want to replace and fingers crossed they can do you a deal as a replacement if you hate it that much. Hope that helps , if hand painted and not that old easy to touch in.

User agradeció a Danmar Kitchens & Interiors
  • E D
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Sometimes when we change things in our homes, we are unsure of (some aspects) of the result and it can take time to get used to and love it.

Have you given the granite a chance?

We love photos here... :) Any chance of adding a couple or so?

User agradeció a E D
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for the replies - photos attached - think a dark granite would have been better

• E D
    hace 5 años

I think the granite looks gorgeous!

Sorry if that doesn't help you. But maybe it does... :)

• E D
    hace 5 años

Are your dining chairs grey?

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

No - they are a caramel colour

• E D
    hace 5 años

You could perhaps consider changing the chair covers with ones that have a complimentary colour to your granite.

I'm sure other Houzzers will be able to advise!

User agradeció a E D
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años

I like it too. It's a lovely kitchen.

User agradeció a Daisy England
  • honeypoppet
    hace 5 años

Looks lovely in my opinion, the only thing I might do is get some slightly brighter ceiling lights/bulbs.

User agradeció a honeypoppet
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

Can you tell us what colour the units are painted please. Then we can see if there is a 'bridge' colour that may be worth a try to tie it all together.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The units are F&B Ball Green - could repaint the cabinets I suppose?

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks - you have hit the nail on the head - lovely kitchen, but I've really messed the colours up - just trying to come up with a plan to correct it.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

A much darker blue/green may work and would complement the floor. See what others say.

• Jonathan
    hace 5 años
    I think your kitchen is beautiful but agree that more contrast of colour would help. If it were me I would consider if there are cheaper things to change rather than replacing granite or repainting the cabinets.
    What about putting a more confident colour on the walls, and adding in some black touches to compliment the Mercury- perhaps changing the cabinet door furniture
    User agradeció a Jonathan
  • minnie101
    hace 5 años

I think your kitchen looks lovely. I might also consider cheaper options first and return them if you're not happy although I love colourhappys colour suggestion. The runner/rug is actually vinyl so totally suitable for kitchens. They're made by Beija and they have a number of patterns but I can't see the blinds to see if this one would work. I might also add cushions at least on the end dining chairs which would fit with your style. Maybe add some texture to the right of the sink with chopping boards, again can't see the granite pattern but the colours seem to work on my screen! I think I'd also add something tall (or a collection) on the dining table.

User agradeció a minnie101
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años

I like colourhappy's colour choice. The thing is though did you want a definite green?

User agradeció a Daisy England
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Prefer greens to blues - would rather go grey/neutral than blue

• Karen
    hace 5 años
    What about changing the cabinet knobs to antique brass or chrome?
    User agradeció a Karen
  • E D
    hace 5 años

My initial reaction to the photos was that the kitchen units' colour somehow didn't quite 'gel' in the room and I was rather hoping colourhappy would come in and be able to cast her professional eye over it.

I still really like the granite and I agree that at least changing the lower units will work. Perhaps the upper units need changing too?

J Pleass, would you consider doing that?

User agradeció a E D
  • E D
    hace 5 años

I may have mentioned this on another thread, but I have heard it say the colour green is not great for (walls of) dining rooms since it makes food look less appetising.

Do others think there is truth in that?

User agradeció a E D
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I’ll consider anything at this stage!

• E D
    hace 5 años

Great. Keep the granite. :)

User agradeció a E D
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The granite is actually quite pink - an unfortunate case of it looking completely different in my kitchen than it looked in strong daylight at the stonemason’s yard

• E D
    hace 5 años

Yes, I can see a pink-ish hue now and also more clearly the not so great match with the units.

I can understand your disappointment, but I still feel it's a lovely piece of stone.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Hi J, if the granite looks pink then it probably at least goes with the floor. You may want to select a few greys to test, if you are not fond of blue (there will be a neutral grey out there that will work). Something like London Clay (or similar) may work as it should relate to the floor and the granite. London Clay is the outer unit colour, not the island.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 5 años
    I have just done a quick google search for an example of Manor House grey - as I thought that would be a good choice - found this - looks pretty good in this example -think it would work in your home too - maybe with chrome knobs ?! Credit to Enigma design.

http://www.enigmadesign.ie/portfolio/manor-house-grey-kitchen/
    User agradeció a OnePlan
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.