Houzz Logo Print
jocee_lackeyhoffman

Dining/Kitchen Area Has Too Much Open Floor Space!

*This is still a work in progress*

We have a very awkward floor plan because our house was from the 1950s and we are unsure of what previous owners have done to the walls. So now we are left with a MASSIVE open space by the door leading into our garage. This shelving unit is kinda like a placeholder we got off of Facebook Marketplace because we had to put SOMETHING there.

I don't want to put another seating area because then we'd have a huge counter space (6 barstools and giant countertop), a dining area, and then another place to sit and eat. It would be too much. We were thinking maybe entryway type situation like a shelf with hooks below and a bench near the door on the right side? That still leaves a big open space in the floor though.

HELP!!

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 5 años

You will still need at least a 36" walkway from the garage door into the house. First, I'd get a larger dining table which will help fill up the space on the kitchen side (you may have to relocate the ceiling fixture by 6" to 12", depending on the size of the table). Then I would do a built-in bench seat under the window with cubbies underneath and upholstered cushions to give it some color and softness. Where your shelving unit is, create built-in open "lockers" with hooks and shelving so the family can drop their stuff, charge their devices, etc.

• Jocee Lackey Hoffman
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors - We don't have any children so doing locker style cubbies doesn't really fit with the style we are going for. We want to get a larger dining table but can't right now because of money. I do like the idea of the bench seat!

• PRO
    Patio Lane
    hace 5 años

Definitely love the built-in window seat idea with a cushion and pillows! It could even run all the way down the wall as a focal piece (but then you would have to find a new home for the shelving unit).

Jocee Lackey Hoffman agradeció a Patio Lane
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.