Houzz Logo Print
rachel_nye4

Countertop Help

Rachel Nye
hace 5 años
Hi! Doing everything backwards but now have decided to get new countertops. Really like Caeserstone's Dreamy Marfil but afraid it will wash out the kitchen. Ordered samples of two other Caeserstones Tuscan Dawn and Urban Safari. The current granite is too busy correct? Are designing trends going in the direction I am? Will post when other two samples arrive. But have access to extra dreamy marfil from brother in law who is a fabricator. Thank you!

Comentarios (52)

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    We just replaced the backsplash and painted cabinets not thinking we would be able to do the countertops for awhile. Sobacksplash is staying. It's a travertine.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 5 años

Chances are the backsplash will get damaged when you remove the current countertop. Be prepared to have to replace at least the bottom row. I like the dreamy marfil more than the two beige ones.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you! my brother law who just installed backsplash is installing counters. luckily we have extra:)
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I would be really happy with this look:
  • kariyava
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Since the backsplash is staying, the key is finding the countertop that looks best with it. From that first picture, the one on the right looks better to me than the one on the left.

• Sammy
    hace 5 años

Wait, why are you getting new countertops? Your current granite goes MUCH better, pattern-wise, with your backsplash than either of the quartz samples.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Because it's just so busy.
  • hiccup4
    hace 5 años

I would say that if you are getting a new counter top, I would suggest getting a new back splash too. Find the counters you like first (as they are WAY more expensive and less choice) THEN pick a back splash which is all over the map in price and style.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hoping this dreamy marfil goes with the backsplash. My husband will not do glass/tile subway tile. My friend came over and said just add color to the cabinet accents and the dreamy marfil will work.
  • hiccup4
    hace 5 años

You already have subway tile. He can't say that he won't do subway if you actually already have subway tile. Or do you mean the material?

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    the material the white subway tile. Oh and I know he wouldn't get new backsplash right now since we just had it put in.
  • hiccup4
    hace 5 años

No, I suppose he wouldn't. LOL It is a design mistake to pick a back splash first..although many do. What happens if the back splash gets ruined when they take the counter out? Or has that been worked out?

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    We didn't think we would be able to do the counters but now are able to. The backsplash that was there was a complete mess so had to do sonothing to make it work. Yes, my brother in law is a fabricator/installer and just put the backsplash in so will take care in putting the new counters in.
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    hace 5 años

Hello Rachel,

I noticed that you mentioned you were worried about "washing-out" the kitchen. I'm not sure if you would be open to a dark counter-top, but lately we have been seeing a high-level contrast (monochrome) in material colors in kitchens. It may also help make your black appliances and cabinet hardware look more cohesive. I have attached a few examples of this trend.

What you've done so far looks beautiful...so in the end, go with your gut!

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Reagan that first picture is beautiful! My kitchen is smaller but will consider this. Thank you!
  • kariyava
    hace 5 años

I agree that a dark counter could look great. If you go that route, please consider getting a matte/honed granite. Shiny black = very visible fingerprints & water marks. If you look at the picture you like with the black counter, you will see that it is not polished (the second picture Raegan posted is polished).

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    yes fingerprints would drive me crazy. Any experience with quartz? Will fingerprints even show with the lighter one?
  • kariyava
    hace 5 años

I don't have personal experience with quartz, but my understanding is that lighter counters (quartz or granite or otherwise) have less of an issue than dark, even when they have a high shine/polished finish. Dark granite counters don't have the issue either if they have a matte/honed finish.

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    Part of the reason granite is so popular is that it adds color and interest to the kitchen. Your Caesarstone selections are going to the other extreme...no color and no interest and no personality.
    Rethink your plan. I think you are about to make a big mistake.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    that would sure save a lot of money Felizlady
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I didn't put this granite in. It came with the house and would not have been my 1st choice.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    this kitchen has the same backsplash and size as mine
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 5 años

I would keep the countertop and change the backsplash. The travertine also has a pattern which is just too much with your granite. Subway would look good and be a lot less expensive than ripping out a perfectly good counter.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The counters came with the house and I do not like them. We just had the backsplash put in and we do really like the backsplash.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    love this
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

If the backsplash tile were set correctly, you'll get the tops out with little or no damage especially if you're not recycling the tops.

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 5 años

I like the Tuscan dawn sample, it gives a little color and contrast.

• J C
    hace 5 años
    Here's the kitchen I keep coming back to. I don't like the square backsplash tiles, but I like the warmth that the color brings.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    That's really nice JC. I hope the sample is impressive Jamie. I went back to my idea books and this is one of the first kitchens I saved. I would love marble but know it's a hassle so very impressed with Caeserstone's dreamy marfil. It truly matches my marble floors. Here's hoping Tuscan dawn does the same.
  • Alison
    hace 5 años
    We are doing ceaserstone Quartz and going with ocean foam
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    So pretty Alison!
  • J C
    hace 5 años
    Rachel, here's another similar kitchen with lighter counters and subway tile shaped backsplash
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    very pretty. wish my granite was more like that. I find what I have just too busy for my eyes. My life seems busy enough, need calmness around me.
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

found this image of the Tuscan Dawn can't wait to see it in person

• PRO
    SANOMA Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

I think that the Dreamy Marfil will work well for you, particularly since you already have it. It will blend nicely with the cabinets and the travertine for a fresh clean look like the pictures you are drawn to. The granite is just too busy. Caesarstone is all around an excellent choice.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you Sanoma!
  • Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Decided on a quartzite

• PRO
    SANOMA Kitchen & Bath
    hace 5 años

That looks beautiful! I am happy you found something that you love. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you!!!!
  • felizlady
    hace 5 años
    I like to use the same granite as the counter for the backsplash. So so SO many people in this forum seem to have huge trouble picking a backsplash which works with their counters that I wonder why using the same material isn’t more common. I even use the counter granite as the backsplash over my ranges (side-by-side 30” freestanding ranges). Yes, I need an extra slab of granite to do it, but I use some of the offcuts for tops for two small tables (one under the wall phone and one for my shopping list pads) and a bigger piece for one end of the island for hot things. Those three pieces get felt feet so the tables don’t get scratches.
  • Jamie Ludwig
    hace 5 años

Rachel that turned out so pretty. What a great choice, I know you will enjoy it for many years. It looks so calm and elegant.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you so much Jamie, it definitely creates a calmer feel to the room.
  • sandnsky503
    hace 5 años

Rachel, very pretty. Can you tell me the name of the Quartzite? And the color paint you used for cabinets?

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    hace 5 años

Rachel Nye I happen to like the Caesarstone Dreamy Marfil ( or the second sample on your first picture) I think it has a little movement but is subtle and I think it would work, I would stay away from dark counter tops since they will show every single foot print and unless you are constantly cleaning it can be an issue

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@san... the paint color is SW Divine White and the Quartzite is Mystery White. we are so happy. thank you!

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Anthony the project has been completed. thank you. I just could not do Quartz.
  • NewEnglandgal
    hace 5 años

It looks beautiful Rachel! Glad you found something you like and are happy with.

• Rachel Nye
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you NewEngland Gal!
  • dabjg
    hace 5 años
    Looks great!! I was going to suggest Dreamy Marfil. The counter you picked out is beautiful!! I had a similar counter (i picked it out in 2002) and had to do an unexpected remodel and so happy I went with something less busy!!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.