Houzz Logo Print
boxerpal

They are starting to all look alike... Help me choose

Boxerpal
hace 5 años

I went to my 3rd slab yard today. Tell me your thoughts.. Marble? Is that crazy? How about the colors? I have a passion for white counters. Here are some logistics. And thank you so much for any help and ideas you might have.

~boxer

White (latte) Shaker inset cabinets with hidden hinges by Cabico

5 by 7 island navy in color

No pendants

A large hood also in white only a 30 inch range but a 42 hood above

SS KA appliances with Brushed nickle hardware

Slab back splash will be whatever stone we choose

Kitchen has no windows, opens to a large family room and sun room with eating area on the side.

The navy cab is the color of the island, the white latte is the perimeter, The brown might be similar to the floor we keep changing our minds.

Granite Valley White (it has a green tinge)

Another photo of the Valley White Granite

Stataurietto Marble the photo does not do it justice. Mini flecs and waves of graphite and navy among a sea of cool white.

Shadow Storm Marble This photo is washed out. It is a soft cool white muddy with a hint of gray with a powdery feel . We would have it honed.

Shadow Storm Marble different lot number (there may not be enough slabs of this popular one)

Some past stones from an earlier visit... My daughter reminded me that I don't like a messy counter and that if I get one of these stones with movement I may find it messy.

Fusion Quartzite

Blue River Quartzite

White Python Quartzite is out my price range.

I was warned this beautiful counter is a dolmite and can be challenging to care for.

Madagascar leather (Dolmite) but they said it is a soft very soft quartzite High maintence

White Cloud Quartzite honed

There have been changes that are not shown below. The hood is 42 inches, there is a sink by the wine cooler to the right side of that bank of cabs but left of the cab above wine cooler. The island is a tiny bit bigger. NO pendants. You can't see it but there is a trey ceiling above the left side of the kitchen in breakfast area to the left of the refrig. The ceiling has can lights and there is a sun light that is in front of the right side of cabs. We are keeping it to get natural light into the room.

Kitchens that are my a few pieces for my inspiration.

I like that the cabs don't go to the ceiling. I like the space

Classic Coastal · Más información

Too ornate but I like the marble counters

Harbor Point · Más información

I love the movement of the counters and the cabs not going to the ceiling

I like the floors

Luxury Residential Photography · Más información

Comentarios (27)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

no to the valley white, better known as River White or white river.

i like the 2 and 3 marble choices. the rest are meh.

have you looked at White Macaubas quartzite?

if you're going to pick marble, they I'd go full out and do the Calacatta gold. W/navy and white and soft gold hardware,,,beautiful choice

your other marble choice you picked would resemble this

Boxerpal agradeció a Beth H. :
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 5 años

I like the Statuario very much- the flecks of color in the sea of swirls are gorgeous. I am also big fan of the Calacatta Gold- especially with your blue island. Have you considered Imperial Danby?

Boxerpal agradeció a Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

BLESS YOU Rita.. This is my most favorite one of all. But this slab is smaller than the others which makes the price go up quickly. I keep going back to this one thinking the Navy island would really make this stone pop. You know from this other link .Let's share some progress... that I have been struggling. I did not find any Danby. I am going to do a search now and reach out to the Stone lady I am working with. Calcutta Gold might be out of my price range. This inspiration makes me delighted but this is another lifetime and another budget

: )

Westover Hill Renovation · Más información

thank you for your suggestions..Rita,

~boxer

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

well i liked the statuario too, boxer! I like both of your marble picks. Danby would be another good choice too. it holds up way better than 'regular' marble.

• emlouhall
    hace 5 años

@Boxer, you can't go wrong with those first few "newer" options you posted, I like them better than your previous ones....but I think you should stick with the most recent floor you'd decided on....that new sample you have in the pic looks very honey brown, same problem I had, I don't think it would look AS good with your island and counters, just a little richer would make them pop more...just something to think about. This is the problem with too much lead time into a project, I could change my mind every other day if I thought about it too much....I would go with quartzite or quartz over the marble, just knowing the cost difference and the backsplash you're wanting to do, and marble takes more to maintain and has more likelihood to stain from acidity (I have designer friends who had to have their marble, but admit that even butter and wine will leave stains) keep that in mind too. I'm not a stone expert, so just my two cents :)

Boxerpal agradeció a emlouhall
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Oh Darling Beth,

Thank you. Yes I looked at Macabus but worry that it is too linear and I would get sick of this the way I do a plaid sofa or striped drape...

I thought Calcutta was out of my price range? If I could find one like your calcutta I would grab it.

Thank you for telling me to stay away from the green toned River Valley (River White granite) It is pretty but not in my space. I keep trying to convince myself the savings of using a granite but the truth is the cost is the labor not as much the stone.

I love those two bottom inspiration photos You posted.. And DH does not really like brass/gold . He wants to stick with SS and I need to go with that. So going with blue and white might be the way to go. I agree they are kind of Meh the other white options but I think it is just the lighting from the warehouse. They are subtle but pretty.

Thanks for your ideas.

~boxer

• emlouhall
    hace 5 años

@boxer, I agree with Beth about the river valley, and you are right, the Macabus will be too linear just knowing the look you're going for and the Inspo photos you've posted.

I'm right there with you on the gold/brass hardware, same in our household, polished nickel would look lovely with your palate!

Boxerpal agradeció a emlouhall
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you Emlouhall, for your encouraging words. I agree the lead time makes it soooo much harder. And then DH says chose something I am sick of doing this. And we haven't even broken ground. LOL I agree about the floors unfortunately they are actually far more expensive then we first thought. I need to meet with another floor co and the old floor co is going to try to find me something in the same color but a little cheaper.

I like the white on white, I wish I could have found a Quartz that DH would love. He wants granite or quartzite but will be willing to have me chose marble. I need to research more on marble and the care it will need. I plan to hone it but that doesn't stop etching and yes stains...

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

~boxer

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

what if you did your island like this,,,and the perimeter in a solid white or gray or charcoal???
    or do the perimeter too. I'm just thinking of cost.

Claremont Park · Más información
    I love the slab of this marble. I like the clear cut color separation rather than muted and blurred grays and white.

if you pick the other marble one you like, you said they are limited, what if you just did your counters w/them and found a diff backsplash?

Super White?? Dolomite. have you looked at that one? it's not as expensive as the others

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

this is super white (I have it in my bathroom too and love it)

• Jane Gray
    hace 5 años

Good luck, Boxer - I have nothing to offer because I think they are all beautiful - but just a word of caution. Look over the slab you choose VERY CAREFULLY and find all the "hidden pictures" before you have it installed (especially the backsplash). Ha!

Boxerpal agradeció a Jane Gray
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi Beth H, I thought about perimeters in one material and island in another... That is still an option. I am going to price it all out first and go from there. I will check out Super White dolomite.

My question... How difficult is Marble? I don't mean staining but etching. I know they will etch but will this weaken the stone? Are dolomites more fragile? We had one stone place tell us that Madagascar Quartzite was fragile and too soft. Softer than marble. There are so many varying opinions.

Thanks again

~boxer

• Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Oh Jane you are too funny. I joked that we would keep the stone if it were x-rated but I think I would change it out. I loved Beth H's idea options.

• Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Beth H, I love that super white. That is the look I really adore. I am going to see if they have such a stone. I was hoping the stone slabs I posted might be able to give off that same look. Maybe not,

~boxer

• Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

WOW.. That super white is gorgeous! I doubt I will find a slab for less than $1500 but I can try...

• Jillius
    hace 5 años

I think you should go with Statuario. It was noticeable in your description that that was the one you truly loved. You're going to look at this every day for years, and unless you truly can't afford it, I think it's always worth investing in your joy.

Boxerpal agradeció a Jillius
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you Jillius. It is definitely one of my favorites. I still like the Shadow Storm ... Now to see if I really am a marble person. I keep telling myself whatever I choose is better than what I currently have. It helps to share my journey and learn from others.

~boxer

• Hillside House
    hace 5 años

I would have no issues with a marble counter. I absolutely love the patina and etching of the hundred-year old soda fountain counters. DH, on the other hand, would go crazy.

If you can't swing the White Python Quartzite, I like the Statuario. Here's a photo of it in my best friend's old kitchen:

Boxerpal agradeció a Hillside House
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hillside that counter is gorgeous. Your friend is very lucky to have such a pretty place. Thank you for your insight.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 5 años

boxerpal, seeing you over time here on GW, for me, you have pretty impeccable taste. In the scheme of things, each element seems so important in isolation, but we know in reality its about how everything works together. Whatever you choose will look perfect because you always fully develop your design ideas- they do not rest on one choice.

Deciding on whether or not you are a patina gal is whole other story. I decided patina would be fine with me- etching and spalling are expected, chips though ... they would not be as easy to accept.

• Hillside House
    hace 5 años

She's moved three times since then, so... ;)

Boxerpal agradeció a Hillside House
  • PRO
    Deb Reinhart Interior Design Group, Inc.
    hace 5 años

Less is more-. & Form follows function.

As a residential interior designer-a large part of my role is to sift the possibilities down to what works best for the individual. Too many choices almost always confuse-

Listen to your gut first. Expensive, attached, and permanent home decisions-should reflect your true core aesthetic.

1. Marble is high maintenance and stains-that is a fact. As a backsplash it works well.

2. Quartzite is the wonderful alternative for a marble like look without the perishability. Please note-not all quartzite is created equal. Your provider will give you the strength of the slabs

3. The photos you shared actually show controlled movement.

and importantly-your daughters comment-sounds spot on--

good luck-

deb

Boxerpal agradeció a Deb Reinhart Interior Design Group, Inc.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Since you haven't broken ground yet is there any reason you need to rush into selecting the counter tops? If possible, you may want to wait until the cabinets and island are in so you can get a better idea & feel of what may work best. Especially not having any windows in the kitchen. In 6 months or so you may feel completely different than you do now and that also gives you 6 months to think it over.

Boxerpal agradeció a tedbixby
  • Boxerpal
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you Deb Reinhart, Yes well said. " less is more and form follows function. " I do like controlled movement.

Thanks Tedbixby, sorry for the confusion there are windows by the eat in breakfast area. This kitchen opens up to a giant family room and sun room. The light comes in from the direction you are facing when you look at the rendering. Adding a window is impossible for the layout of the kitchen. Laundry room behind the range wall, formal rooms behind the other wall. Great idea to wait. I am very much willing to wait for counters. I waited last time 2 months with plywood while we waited for the right stone.

Rita, Thanks again. Yes, you know what I like. I am so tempted to do my old virginia jet mist... Bullet proof and simple. But then what BS that is an entire nightmare as then to find a decent tiler and tile. What tile.. I have wanted the Slab BS so I need to stick with something white and light with subtle movement.

Ideas for Kitchen Reno 2018 · Más información

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

I like 3 and 5

Boxerpal agradeció a pink_peony
  • colbran
    hace 5 años

Boxerpal, you're on the right track! I know your feeling...I, too, was picking out things before we even dug. But, I had a vision and it's a good thing I started early. I had to order my stone from Montana and I live in the Midwest! I couldn't get people around here to listen to me that there was a beautiful stone I wanted for my fireplace. Nobody would help! Too expensive, you'd have to ship it, blah blah blah. I did it anyway, and I'm in LOVE with it!! This has been my issue with my project the whole time. Your gut feeling is the right feeling!

Boxerpal agradeció a colbran
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.